BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My G310R has done only 450 mls. and the cush drive rubbers are shot and need replacing!

Anyone else experienced this? I know from Adventure Rider this has been a problem on some GS’s. My bike was manufactured late 2018 and would think any weaknesses in this area would have been rectified.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yep I have a 1 year old GS and the cush drive rubbers went out on mine around 6K miles. The replacements actually looked different than the original ones and my bike now has almost 17k mile on it. Jenny the test rider for Ralley Raid also had hers go out within the first 5k miles as well and I warned her about the problem a few weeks before hers went out. Might have just been a bad run of rubber that has been put in bikes over the last year. All I can say is let the dealer replace them under warranty and you should not have any further problem with them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My concern is really that it has gone at only 450 mls on a recently manufactured machine which implies that the problem has not been rectified!

·
Registered
917 Posts
No problems
Bike had already two services at the dealer but ‘no word’ about these rubbers.
My 310R is a 2017.

·
Registered
322 Posts
How can you tell if it's going bad?
You will have driveline snatch. The quick way to check is to put your bike in neutral (engine off) and see if you can wiggle the rear sprocket without the rear wheel moving. A little play is normal, but if you can rotate the sprocket one tooth or more, the rubber inserts are wearing out and need replaced.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Third set

I'm on my third set of rubbers at 15,000 miles. And the current ones are exhibiting a bit of play already. Daytona dealer service is aware but has not heard of any upgraded replacements. Otherwise, a great little scoot and a veritable hoot when in the GA-NC montains.

·
Registered
751 Posts
You will have driveline snatch. The quick way to check is to put your bike in neutral (engine off) and see if you can wiggle the rear sprocket without the rear wheel moving. A little play is normal, but if you can rotate the sprocket one tooth or more, the rubber inserts are wearing out and need replaced.

thanks, that is a good advice !

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My cush drive rubbers have been replaced along with the sprocket carrier bearing. This was at first service(600mls).
I was surprised how solid the old rubbers were. However there was wear on the edges(what I would call chatter marks)and makes me wonder if in fact this problem is down to the bearing failing? As the bearing fails it would allow the sprocket to rock and rotate, perhaps giving the impression of a worn cush drive.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have just had the wheel out so checked these at the same time (1000 miles). All rubbers were identical in size and looked ok with no evident debris to show wear. However, one of the three gaps was much larger than the other two. This seems to me to indicate a manufacturing defect.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The dealer checked the movement in the Cush drive today and agreed it was excessive having done only 350 miles, they will order new rubbers and fit them when the bike has its 600 mile service..
While I was in the showroom I checked the Cush drive movement on all the new G310's, surprisingly there is movement when new.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I've replaced two sets of cush drive absorbers, and am ready for a third at only 6,200 miles. This part shouldn't be part of regular maintenance!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts