BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am preparing to get the gs300s and am already planning to change the exhaust :) I have a spare IXIL Hyperflow slip on from my Versys 1000, and was considering to fit it somehow to the original header. I don't mind to weld it in. I would be saving money instead of getting the whole system; and hyperflow both look and sounds awesome! I would need to cut both the oem header pipe and part of the IXIL end pipe. Does anyone know what is the diameter of the stock header pipe? It is probably smaller than the Versys one so if I slide it over the oem pipe this would make welding stronger. I am wondering why no one is thinking of fitting a cheaper slip on, instead of going for the whole system?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Because most folk probably feel nervous about cutting the original exhaust.
And how many would cut it in the right/wrong place.
And I'm not able to weld. ( A life skill that eluded me).

Have fun though....

·
Registered
157 Posts
You would probably have to cut the pipe AFTER the last mounting point under the bike. Is the Versys 1000 a 4-cylinder? I don't think I would try to retrofit a 1000cc exhaust to a 300cc single. You may also have to make a new hanger for the silencer to match the BMW mount.

Double check before cutting pipe to make sure the IXIL does not hit anything when the suspension is fully compressed. Also, if you have the Ixil SX1, I am not sure that will work as it is the under the bike type. The others might. Not so sure what it will do for resale if you plan to sell.

Send us a picture if it works.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You would probably have to cut the pipe AFTER the last mounting point under the bike. Is the Versys 1000 a 4-cylinder? I don't think I would try to retrofit a 1000cc exhaust to a 300cc single. You may also have to make a new hanger for the silencer to match the BMW mount.

Double check before cutting pipe to make sure the IXIL does not hit anything when the suspension is fully compressed. Also, if you have the Ixil SX1, I am not sure that will work as it is the under the bike type. The others might. Not so sure what it will do for resale if you plan to sell.

Send us a picture if it works.
I was thinking of cutting as close to the silencer as possible. welding is easy. anyone here can do it in 5 min. there is no difference in slip on regardless if it is 310cc or 1000cc bike, they are universal. i just need to see if the (fixed) bracket will fit with the GS. the silencer is this one: L3XB - IXIL Silencers. it is lovely silencer and very interesting sound, with two removable db killers, but unlike the picture shows, it has a longer extension pipe which needs to be cut.

·
Registered
61 Posts
The pipe of the OEM exhaust ends too short to easily rebuild it for an slip-on.
Dominator exhaust delivers a cheap and bolt-on solution.
Maybe they can send you the piece without the muffler. :wink2:

China exhaust are fine too, but I have bought the model for the G310R/G310GS and it is too short.
The GS has got longer suspension travel so the exhaust must be designed for the GS.

(Dominator was the only one that were telling the truth, will mount that model today and have removed the Chinese version and informed the seller)

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
by the way, i doubt that Ixil SX1 would fit on Gs. but i am familiar with it, as it fitted it in Vulcan S, and it is a very nice system.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pipe of the OEM exhaust ends too short to easily rebuild it for an slip-on.
Dominator exhaust delivers a cheap and bolt-on solution.
Maybe they can send you the piece without the muffler. :wink2:

China exhaust are fine too, but I have bought the model for the G310R/G310GS and it is too short.
The GS has got longer suspension travel so the exhaust must be designed for the GS.
yes, but i already have a spare Ixil SX1 hyperflow, and it was made for Versys, so it has different fitting with an extension pipe that inserts into the oem header pipe, so there is more room to manoeuvre and cut in the place more suitable....

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
157 Posts
Kris,

You should be able to get the just midpipe section from www.ixilusa.com as they make the L3XB for the bike. Oh, wait, I was thinking of the GD250R I own. But you could email them anyway as they might be working on one.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Kris,

You should be able to get the just midpipe section from www.ixilusa.com as they make the L3XB for the bike. Oh, wait, I was thinking of the GD250R I own. But you could email them anyway as they might be working on one.
they already have the whole system. https://www.ebay.de/itm/SILENCIEUX-IXIL-HEXOVAL-CARBONE-BMW-G310-R-OB5029VCG-/202400429256?hash=item2f200174c8

but i cannot use their mid-pipe because their silencer for Versys has already welded an extension so I would need to cut it.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Actually for the GS you would be looking at: https://dominator.pl/en_US/p/G310GS-16-18-GP-I/1831 (no cat) which is about $130 direct from manufacturer. They also have other options.

The one in the link above is over $500 which I think is too much. That be the wrong thumbnail as the link does not show the huge tank under the bike. Is that a catalyst?

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Forgot to mention, I have the Carbon Fiber Akrapovic on my 310GS and just ordered the Dominator for my Hyosung GD250R.

I will try to compare sound as they are both single cylinders.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Actually for the GS you would be looking at: https://dominator.pl/en_US/p/G310GS-16-18-GP-I/1831 (no cat) which is about $130 direct from manufacturer. They also have other options.

The one in the link above is over $500 which I think is too much. That be the wrong thumbnail as the link does not show the huge tank under the bike. Is that a catalyst?
the CAT is in the Versys in under the belly of the bike. I have removed it. The reason I was thinking of fitting the Hyperflow was just to save money, as I already have the slip on. Cutting the oem pipe does not seem like a big deal.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have seen these for prices -50%.
The welding is great.
but hopefully they have changed the design as the R and GS need different part.
Owners of an G310R can buy these safely.
For the GS it needs a longer travel at the back. (See pictures)

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
from which company is that one?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looks like Dominator from Poland. I bought one for my GD250R. I can also tell by the 30 feet of bubble wrap they use.

Reactions: G0MYW

·
Registered
61 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i have decided to cut the oem exhaust as I have a nice spare stainless steel Delkevic slip on, which has a very nice sound. Looks like a straightforward fit with some adaptor. and i will have the nice oem small shield retained.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i have decided to cut the oem exhaust as I have a nice spare stainless steel Delkevic slip on, which has a very nice sound. Looks like a straightforward fit with some adaptor. and i will have the nice oem small shield retained.
Hi Kris. Can you send some pics of the original cut off and a slip on attached?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts