BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If ever I have to restart the bike, don’t force me to get into neutral first! BMW, you f’ing idiots! Especially while I’m on the road or at a stop!

·
Registered
35 Posts
BMW didn't design a bike that can't be started in gear as long as the clutch lever is pulled in! There could be a bad sensor...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just love the way a fault is generalised that it's a design fault with a few people with problems. I have a bike with a cooked stator. Does that mean all g310 stators have a design fault? No. I just have a faulty item that did not work as intended.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I’ve been riding for 30 years and not a single bike ever have this problem. Considering it’s “BMW”, yeah I’m going to blame BMW.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, I’ve been riding for 30 years and not a single bike ever have this problem. Considering it’s “BMW”, yeah I’m going to blame BMW.
You have never had a faulty switch or part fail on any other bike or car in the 30 years of riding or driving?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Okay. I need to calm down and just fix it. No point getting all stressed out and going on a rampage.

Sorry guys.

I’ll either fix it myself or let bmw fix it.
It may be a simple fix.
I need to remove the lever and inspect it.

I overreacted because my wife is riding this bike and it needs to be reliable and not put her into a potentially dangerous situation.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just love the way a fault is generalised that it's a design fault with a few people with problems. I have a bike with a cooked stator. Does that mean all g310 stators have a design fault? No. I just have a faulty item that did not work as intended.
Just an example: If you experience 2 waterpumps replaced, 1 regulator plus alternator replaced within 3400km only or 9 months What else could be blame except the manufacture 🙂 that a normal human reaction i guess..... So generalisation is pretty normal in this nature.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Okay. I need to calm down and just fix it. No point getting all stressed out and going on a rampage.

Sorry guys.

I’ll either fix it myself or let bmw fix it.
It may be a simple fix.
I need to remove the lever and inspect it.

I overreacted because my wife is riding this bike and it needs to be reliable and not put her into a potentially dangerous situation.
Do you have aftermarket levers installed?

·
Registered
114 Posts
The Thread title is "Dangerous BMW design flaw IDIOTS" and NIKITAUCLA comment is "If ever I have to restart the bike, don’t force me to get into neutral first! BMW, you f’ing idiots! Especially while I’m on the road or at a stop!".

Am I confused here? This is not the case. Where's the design flaw?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just an example: If you experience 2 waterpumps replaced, 1 regulator plus alternator replaced within 3400km only or 9 months What else could be blame except the manufacture 🙂 that a normal human reaction i guess..... So generalisation is pretty normal in this nature.
Rm78 we understand that you are frustrated with the lack of service and the reliability of your GS. No one is questioning that yours isn't a lemon based on your individual experience. There are many other things that one could blame it on... operation by owner, inexperienced mechanic, modifications made to the bike, faulty or inferior parts, etc. The list could go on and yes the manufacture could be the whole or part of the problem. We get it -you are not happy with your purchase. My personal experience has been no matter the reliability of a name brand there are always unfortunate lemons. Especially when a new model comes to market. Why I was happy to see a 3 year warranty on the new GS.

Generalizations are dangerous. "I saw a dog that chase squirrels, therefore all dogs chase squirrels".

Mine dog doesn't chase squirrels and I'm loving my Baby GS. Not saying my dog won't be chasing squirrels in the future but I feel that your unfortunate experience is tainting some of the threads. Whenever you get a chance to comment its always in a negative light. I hope the readers here understand that there are many who are extremely happy with their Baby GS.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I notice in another thread that you do. I suggest swapping back to the OEM clutch lever before investigating other causes.
I would say this is exactly the issue... it's been reported on a number of occasions that the typical ebay aftermarket adjustable levers don't work properly with the left hand switchgear, meaning the clutch switch doesn't engage properly (particularly when the lever is set closer to the bars for a shorter hand-span).

As Eddie suggests, try refitting your original clutch lever before diving into your wiring or shouting at your dealer...

Jx

·
Registered
35 Posts
I've been riding for fifty five years. All makes and models from countries around the world. I've had parts fail and while frustrating, I've not experienced a design flaw that created a dangerous situation. I've had several BMW's over the years and had one in particular that had several issues. I was lucky to have had great dealer support through these problems even on the road from dealers who I had never purchased from. Looking over my new 310 GS I realized the potential for problems with the exposed wiring and flimsy protection over the kickstand sensor so I disabled it. It's a safety feature to prevent you from taking off with the kickstand down. So, I've assumed the risk for that. I was concerned that off road I would have something catch on the wires and pull them out or possibly hit something from underneath that could break the sensor so I removed that possiblity. The 310GS is an inexpensive bike without all the usual BMW bells and whistles and for that reason I purchased it. TVS is a proven manufacturer of motorcycles as is BMW but as with any new introduction into the market there will be issues at first. Knowing this didn't prevent me from making my purchase because of the simplicity of the bike. So far, I'm having a lot of fun on the little GS. The problems always get the loudest and most comments because of the frustration they cause for the owner, but there are many more happy owners than frustrated ones. That doesn't lessen the frustration for the owners with problems...

·
Registered
148 Posts
its kinda interesting, people like you blame BMW. I am a new rider and Chinese. People in Chinese form ran into problem, they blame TVS. LOL

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would say this is exactly the issue... it's been reported on a number of occasions that the typical ebay aftermarket adjustable levers don't work properly with the left hand switchgear, meaning the clutch switch doesn't engage properly (particularly when the lever is set closer to the bars for a shorter hand-span).

As Eddie suggests, try refitting your original clutch lever before diving into your wiring or shouting at your dealer...

Jx
When will RallyRaid release the lever. Please, I want a decent leveler

·
Registered
242 Posts
When will RallyRaid release the lever. Please, I want a decent leveler
I've been assured it's 'soon' - but they have a lot of balls in the air at the moment, and don't forget they are a small independent company, so often things come along on a weekly basis that have to take priority...

You'll be the first to know here of course!

Jenny x

1 - 20 of 26 Posts