BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the revs are at about 4.2k-4.5k RPM, there is a slightly annoying buzz noise from the dashboard. At first I thought it was my keyring, but then I removed it so it's just the key inserted and I could still hear the noise. So, I decided to touch the dashboard while I was hearing the noise and I noticed it's between that RPM range; anyone else having it? It's not anything serious, just a minor annoying when at 1st-2nd gear.

·
Registered
939 Posts
No, no vibration in the dashboard.
Above and around 7000 rpm I feel vibration all over but it is not something I worry about.
Vibration is something common with mono cilinders.

If it really bothers you, go back to your dealer and ask if this is a mayor problem.
I know I can not use my car tomtom on the Beamer or another motorcycle because the high frequency vibrations are not really healthy for the electric components in the Tomtom.
That’s why the build specific motorcycle gps systems.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Me neither.
Vibration is one of the quirks of riding a single, they "buzz" a bit. The Suzuki S40 (650 cc single) that I had a few years ago vibrated big time, at 80 - 90 km/h the speedo (mounted in the tank) buzzed horribly, really loud - had to take the tank off and work out a way to dampen it.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh no, don't get me wrong; I love the buzz in this thing. Makes coming out of the bike such a pleasant experience. Just wanted to know if anyone experienced that slight buzz on their dashboards at that RPM range, which apparently you haven't. Must be a loose screw/bolt inside the dashboard plastic, I could take it out but I'm lazy so lets leave it at that. :p

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hi, I have exactly same noise in mine, it sounds like metallic buzz, around 4,5k, I did try to find it today but holding dash did not make it go away.
I am now on 2500 miles and it appeared maybe 200 miles ago, let me know if you find a source of the noise or even better take a picture.
Cheers

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have this same issue with the vibration noise comming from the keychain area did you find a solution i went to the dealer and they said the noise was normal. but it is very annoying and it just started making the noise at 500kms

·
Registered
1 Posts
My moto makes an annoyng metallic noise starting at 6000 rpm. I already sent it to my dealer but they didn't solve the problem. I'm starting to get crazy with this sound and I'm thinking of selling the moto just because of that. Does someone sugests me anything???

·
Registered
939 Posts
Just kidding.
Earplugs probably won't work.

Question is, where is that noise coming from.
Is it something vibrating (6000 rpm) or is it a noise that comes from your engine.
Because we have some threads on not enough oil in the engine this is something you can check (if your dealer hasn't checked it ??)

Beside that, is this your first mono cylinder motorcycle ?
Mono cylinder motorcycles usually vibrate more then multicilinder motorcycles.
Try another G / GS and try to find out if you hear the same noise.

Last thing, contact BMW headquarter and ask if they can help you.
If the deaer can not find the problem, the factory has some specially trained mechanics that can help a dealer.
Hope this will help (beside some good earplugs ;-))

·
Registered
939 Posts
Oh yes ................. help me.

Sam quotes "I am now on 2500 miles and it appeared maybe 200 miles ago, let me know if you find a source of the noise or even better take a picture".

My question now is; how can you make a picture of a noise at a certain speed ?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I found some weird noise now caused by 2 loose screws, noise seems to dissapear.
Might be relevant to you might not.
Screws are located under steering bar( you have to remove it-there is 4 torx bolts). I used hex key and I think 13mm spanner underneath to hold locking nut, I felt weird doink if I was still, front break on and rock steering side to side, then it did slight knock.
Hope it helps

·
Registered
64 Posts
Does it happen while sitting still, or does the bike have to be in motion? Might help explain your problems to the dealers.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've now joined the "Noisy Dash" club.
Its just started after ~1000 miles.
Bl00dy annoying and I'm surprised how loud it is.
as others have said its >4k rpm.
Holding the dash stops it ,,, so I might have to 'investigate' the fasteners in that area.
Any one fixed their one..??

·
Registered
142 Posts
Holding the dash stops it ,,, so I might have to 'investigate' the fasteners in that area.
May be, may be not...

I got a couple of pieces of thin black high density foam, just thick enough that they would compress slightly in to the gap between the dash and the little black cowl at the sides. Seemed to make a slight difference, but they fell out.

I haven't bothered re-doing this as the noise on mine isn't loud and it seems spasmodic. To be honest, I haven't noticed it in the last times I've been riding - but I've been on holiday for the last 6 weeks, so my riding has not been commuting which is when it's more noticeable as you stick in that rev range lots more.

·
Registered
51 Posts
last week, i was cleaning my bike and accidently remove the balancer on the wheel rim. But after that i still can attached it on rim but not at exact place before.

i realise that now my bike had a little vibration when accelerate. But it can feel that the vibration is from the wheel.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My daughter's bike also had a similar buzzing. In our case, it was the body panels around the gas tank. They were resonating at certain frequencies. I took the three panels off, in my case it is the two blue side pieces and the center black unit, and used some Gorilla tape from the underside to keep them from moving/vibrating where they connected to each other. After reassembly, no unwanted resonances.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Earplugs do help me !

No, just kidding.
I do not hear any vibrating noise.
By the time I will get my bike ready for the season I will listen if I do hear anything but until now, after almost 3000 km there is no sound that is bothering me.
I must admit that I always were my ear protection and they filter most noises out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
AzizaVFR,

Single or double sided tape ?

RobertB
The single sided 2" wide black variety. If you try to use double sided tape between the panels, it will have very wide gaps and keep the connecting tabs from fully engaging. After I did tape the three panels together, it did take a little bit of dancing and wiggling to get them remounted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I've now joined the "Noisy Dash" club.
Its just started after ~1000 miles.
Bl00dy annoying and I'm surprised how loud it is.
as others have said its >4k rpm.
Without any intention to make you unpleasant, but ever since I made the post it only became more loud as I went further.

A few days ago I went to my dealer for a problem I had with some engine noise (scary I know). It turned out to be the valve clearance and he said it was no big issue; long story short, he asked me if I encountered any other issues and I told him about the vibrating dashboard. He told me it could either be from the valves themselves generating too much vibration, or something near/behind the dashboard is loose. He rode it to test it and did tell me that the vibration is not normal and may also be a flaw of the dashboard design, though not something to be afraid of. Unfortunately right now is the busiest time of the year for them, I had a choice of letting my bike there for 3-5 days for him to find the source of the problem and fix it or to let him do it on the 2nd service (won't take long, about 3.000 km left). Regardless I told him to wait it out and if it gets progressively worse I will contact him.

tl;dr Not many news aside the fact that it's not so much important and that it could be your valves as well (highly unlikely). I will keep this thread in-check if something occurs.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts