BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks
Ilive in england so its f..in freezing for biking .this had a flat battery re charged it twice with trickle charge for 5 hours . Now got a new battery but the display has buggered up i rode it home and the gear indicater not working at all , revs were sticking on a bit during gear change , service light on and engine symbol , i set the date and time but still no good . Have been reading this forum and some poeple have said if you have a apple charger on i also have heated grips , anyone know how to reset the whole lot , hopefully i dont need a whole new ecg unit . Just from a flat battery . Help # frustrating

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is it still under warranty? If not get a cheap DVM and check battery voltage both with engine off and with the bike running. My battery maintainer has a light to indicate both 80% and full charge. It takes overnight to bring a battery to full charge. While running 14 volts or close on the terminals and after sitting a while with engine off should be 12.6 or higher.
If possible disconnect any non-original accessories. Engine light can be battery not charging. Possibly a stator. Expensive.

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey Billabongbaz,

In November 2020 I had a flat battery one morning - odd considering I ride her everyday then she goes straight onto the Optimate every night.

Found out the alternator wasn't charging, so off she went to BMW. As Bob has suggested, it was the Stator wiring that had burnt itself out. A common fault. I would advise contacting a BMW main dealer to ask for a contribution to the repair (Goodwill) if outside of a warranty period.

I knew it was coming sooner or later after reading the frequency of issues through-out this forum.

I'd start with tests into the charging system as your first point of call.

Hope this helps.

Candy 🍬

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
88 Posts
Hey Billabongbaz,

In November 2020 I had a flat battery one morning - odd considering I ride her everyday then she goes straight onto the Optimate every night.

Found out the alternator wasn't charging, so off she went to BMW. As Bob has suggested, it was the Stator wiring that had burnt itself out. A common fault. I would advise contacting a BMW main dealer to ask for a contribution to the repair (Goodwill) if outside of a warranty period.

I knew it was coming sooner or later after reading the frequency of issues through-out this forum.

I'd start with tests into the charging system as your first point of call.

Hope this helps.

Candy 🍬
My first 310 had the same problem.
Are you aware of any updates on later models??

·
Registered
16 Posts
My first 310 had the same problem.
Are you aware of any updates on later models??
I tried finding out about any measures relating to the fault or if they had upgraded the new part they fitted. No luck with the advisor I was talking to. I got a copy of the job card and the technician didn't mention they checked for any related measures around the fault.

I have been quite underwhelmed by the service received at 2 main dealers now. One dealer didn't know how to negate a warranty claim and palmed me off to BMW UK directly, who thought it odd for the dealer to of suggested this.

I will hopefully come across a better technical source for future repairs and maintenance advice.

First 310? How many you had!?

🍬

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
88 Posts
I tried finding out about any measures relating to the fault or if they had upgraded the new part they fitted. No luck with the advisor I was talking to. I got a copy of the job card and the technician didn't mention they checked for any related measures around the fault.

I have been quite underwhelmed by the service received at 2 main dealers now. One dealer didn't know how to negate a warranty claim and palmed me off to BMW UK directly, who thought it odd for the dealer to of suggested this.

I will hopefully come across a better technical source for future repairs and maintenance advice.

First 310? How many you had!?

🍬
My thoughts are that the BMW dealers here at the Netherlands are not very used to this model.
Very little knowledge.

Showed them prints from this site when there were problems at lower temperatures. .

I have started with an 2017 G310R, replaced it 10'2018 with an G10GS. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts