BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a G310GS with an Akrapovic fitted by their dealer?
Why am I asking?????
My local provincial Government has VERY strict (70db) noise restrictions on ANY modified exhaust systems. However, if this is how it is supplied from the dealer, you can argue that it is NOT modified and that it is standard ‘As Supplied’ from new!
If I know what BMW fit, I can buy the same system and claim it was supplied as seen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
There really is nothing to "FIT" it is made to fit by Akrapovic. Simple install. Oh I got the DB info. I do not know where they get 70db as you can see stock is 86db.

STOCK AKRAPOVIC
Noise dB: 86 / 4750 rpm 93.7 / 4750 rpm 7.7
When this system is installed, the dB level goes up 7.7 dB from your stock settings. Removal of noise inserts brings the dB level up 2-4 dB’s depending on where you are at in the rev range.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Can install your self, do waste money on dealer. Just the 2 bolts (need Torx socket) and the bolt that holds muffler on and that is it. BMW Exhaust is 1 piece vs 2 piece Akrapovic. Install main pie first then, install muffler with spring holders.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Remember the exhaust comes with mounts for both the R and the GS so don't throw the other one out. You will need a E16 external Torx socket to remove exhaust from engine. Easy to install but be careful with O2 sensor (you need a O2 sensor socket to remove).

IMPORTANT: I don't know where you live but if you ride with sandals or short pants, you will probably burn the back of your calf on the exhaust pipe especially if you have shorter legs. They sell a heat shield for it (~200USD) which I feel should be free and/or come with the exhaust.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
With respect to the members answering, I obviously didn’t explain myself properly.
My local city government has passed a law. It states.... ‘ Fitting a MODIFIED exhaust which exceeds 70db is ILLEGAL’
This ONLY applies if you remove the manufacturer’s exhaust and fit an alternative make.
If however your bike comes fitted with an exhaust new FROM THE DEALER which exceeds 70db, then this is not deemed as being ‘modified’.
So your 100db Harley or Yamaha R1 is legal because that’s how they are supplied!
Of course I can fit my own system...... BUT, I’m not allowed to and if stopped I’d have my bike impounded!
So, as BMW dealers will fit an Akrapovic exhaust from new, if I have a picture of exactly WHAT they fit, I could fit the same system to my bike and claim that it was supplied by BMW ‘as seen’.
This is why I was asking for pictures of any dealer-fitted systems.

·
Registered
157 Posts
DSCN1580.JPG
DSCN1585.JPG

I am a dealer but not of BMW (Hyosung) but this is what it should look like. Probably made law so dealers could make more money.

Reactions: Geoff PD

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have also seen one from my BMW dealer and it is the same. They can't fit it any other way. Hope this helps. If you need any other photos, let me know.

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
they do dealer fittings in Australia, but don't know if it is for the stainless or carbon model

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
There really is nothing to "FIT" it is made to fit by Akrapovic. Simple install. Oh I got the DB info. I do not know where they get 70db as you can see stock is 86db.

STOCK AKRAPOVIC
Noise dB: 86 / 4750 rpm 93.7 / 4750 rpm 7.7
When this system is installed, the dB level goes up 7.7 dB from your stock settings. Removal of noise inserts brings the dB level up 2-4 dB’s depending on where you are at in the rev range.
I assume you are saying....
A standard BMW G310GS exhaust is 86db which rises to 93.7db if you fit the Akrapovic ( an increase of 7.7db).

I was informed that method for measurement is:- dB is measured from a distance of 2m back and 45 degrees (i.e. not directly in line) from the rear of the exhaust.
Can anybody confirm this?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I can't confirm but this information came directly from Akrapovic and there is a chart on their site. See Below: 1596097776162.png

Hello Charles,

Thank you for your interest in Akrapovic Exhaust systems. Below is a link to the individual system page for S-B3R1/RC/1:

Akrapovič

If you scroll through the technical data you will see the dB rating listed. When this system is installed, the dB level goes up 7.7 dB from your stock settings. Removal of noise inserts brings the dB level up 2-4 dB’s depending on where you are at in the rev range.

Best,

Nicole Allen, MBA
Motorcycle Division Team

Akrapovič d.d.
Malo Hudo 8a
1295 Ivančna Gorica, Slovenia

·
Registered
157 Posts
If that does not work, try this. It is the same info for 2018

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi,
Maybe this helps-
Here is my local BMW dealer's site clearly showing that they supply Akrapovics.
Scroll down and look to the right side.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
35 Posts
With respect to the members answering, I obviously didn’t explain myself properly.
My local city government has passed a law. It states.... ‘ Fitting a MODIFIED exhaust which exceeds 70db is ILLEGAL’
This ONLY applies if you remove the manufacturer’s exhaust and fit an alternative make.
If however your bike comes fitted with an exhaust new FROM THE DEALER which exceeds 70db, then this is not deemed as being ‘modified’.
So your 100db Harley or Yamaha R1 is legal because that’s how they are supplied!
Of course I can fit my own system...... BUT, I’m not allowed to and if stopped I’d have my bike impounded!
So, as BMW dealers will fit an Akrapovic exhaust from new, if I have a picture of exactly WHAT they fit, I could fit the same system to my bike and claim that it was supplied by BMW ‘as seen’.
This is why I was asking for pictures of any dealer-fitted systems.

Almost every aftermarket exhaust for ANY motorcycle is going to be deemed "track only"... Just saying none will be meeting those requirements. They will all be louder than stock... kinda the whole point lol

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok another stupid question for which I’ll applogise in advance for.....
My standard stock exhaust is one piece and has the downpipe coming out of the rear of the cylinder head, down roughly parallel with the rear shock, then bends outwards below the swing arm and into the front of the silencer/muffler.
I’m told that the CAT is fitted inside the front end of the silencer.
However, every 2-part aftermarket exhaust has (what I’m told is) an EXPANSION tank positioned 1/2 way down the downpipe?
So, if the stock system doesn’t need this, why do ALL the aftermarket exhausts I’ve ever seen have it??
2nd question..... will the lack of a CAT damage the engine??

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Almost every aftermarket exhaust for ANY motorcycle is going to be deemed "track only"... Just saying none will be meeting those requirements. They will all be louder than stock... kinda the whole point lol
Yes obviously I understand that.
It is my belief that the local council here have set the db figure for any modified exhaust deliberately low (ridiculously low in fact) to frighten anybody who would attempt to a modification.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Probably because the local populace are fed up having the unnecessary racket imposed on them. How long would you put up with being constantly assailed by loud music, for example, before complaining that something should be done about it?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts