BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do mostly street driving to and from work. I have been averaging 51 mpg (approx 21.68 km/l) according to the gauge display. Putting all factors aside that effect fuel economy, what are other G310R riders seeing on their gauage display for average fuel consumption?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have 2995 miles on my G310R and the average mpg is 62.4. I ride between 60 and 75 mph depending on the road. Before this BMW I had a Honda CB300F that I put 10,000 miles on and it averaged around 62 mpg. Prior to that I had a Honda CTX700 for 20,000 miles and it averaged a little over 66 mpg. A BMW 800S I had for 93,000 miles averaged a hair over 59 mpg. Actually, I was hoping for a bit better mileage from the G310R.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
It would be interesting to see a fuel efficiency curve for the bike. I assume that the most efficient speed would be around 100km/h (62mph) and fuel consumption would increase significantly after this speed. I know that some of the other BMW bikes sit at around 110km/h as their most efficient speed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Ive had my motorcycle for 400 miles and my average miles per gallon is 50-53. Im a first time rider so maybe mine is a bit lower because I am giving too much throttle getting into first gear to be safe or just using the throttle too much in general from learning or maybe the engine gets better fuel efficiency when it gets broken in more and has its first service performed? I should be doing my running in service pretty soon.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I usually do not look at the reading on the display for average fuel consumption.
I always top off and look my amount of km's driven and the amount of liters I need to top it off
Then I get my real fuel consumption.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I usually do not look at the reading on the display for average fuel consumption.
I always top off and look my amount of km's driven and the amount of liters I need to top it off
Sure....but that is why the thread is about the gauge displayed fuel consumption. I'm just curious what other people are seeing for their readings.

Which Leads to a interesting topic. If BMW states the G310R gets 71 mpg under certain conditions is that what you should see on the display. I know that this is not going to be what you actually see displayed for fuel consumption. However, when I consitantly see 51 mpg that is 20 mpg off. Maybe I could understand being by 10 mpg. I'm not a hard driver by any means. I just commute to work. So is the stated fuel usage and displayed average fuel consumption just BS?

·
Registered
30 Posts
It depends on if you are watching the average or instant read. At the go-kart track I topped off the tank and reset all the reading prior to going out. Over the course of 30 miles on a 0.5mile track, I still got 50mpg. This was generating a better fuel economy going WOT, than on my Grom running around the same track.

Your wind resistance is the biggest contributing factor to fuel economy. Put your bike at 60mph, with the dash on instant read for fuel consumption and sit upright with a steady hold on the throttle position, then go into a full tuck. You will gain 1-5mph, depending how how much of a hole your body punches through the air. It is the same thing with the Grom. To sustain 72mph, the G310R is using a higher percentage of available power than say my R1200GS. Both bikes get around the same fuel consumption. Anything over 50mpg at 75mph is awesome.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
This has been proven to be inaccurate, unless you are doing it over multiple 5+ refills, due to expansion space in the tank you won't be able to accurately fill the tank to the same volume every time.

·
Registered
55 Posts
normally the fuel consumption calculation will take when riding on freeway with 80 km/h straight on top gear
On a recent trip the best I ever got from the 310GS was 28k/ltr, (90-100k/h) When I wound it out on the freeway to 7000 rpm (115k/h) for a few hours the 310 got much thirstier and I only got 22ks/ltr. There is definitely a consumption spike over 100k/h.

Someone else will have to convert that to mpg.

·
Registered
106 Posts
60mpg city ridding. Only have 250 mile on it tho.

·
Registered
51 Posts
In my break-in..i'd travel 333 km one way under 80 km/h with 9.247 liter RON95 .. so my 310 gs spent 36 km/l

when in daily ride..i'd travel 265 km with 9.165 liter RON95 but still under 80 km/h .. so my gs spent 28.9 km/l

after break-in..i'd travel 238 km one way with 9.615 liter RON95 & now i ride in 100 - 120 km/h .. so my gs spent 24.7 km/l

for daily in 100 - 120 km/h..for now i suspend my gs cause its rainy..😄

these are my gs fuel consumption with RON95..take note that type of petrol also will effect the fc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
my Display is showing 71mpg (uk) and still running in this one, the first one was showing 68mpg (never reset it) and that had around 1300miles before the engine problems and BMW giving me a new bike. So not too bad mpg. This is country and motorway miles at speeds from 30mph to 70ish.

·
Registered
142 Posts
First, just for fun I did a little research...

From the manual, BMW quote 3.3 litres/100 km (conversions - 85.6 mpg UK, 71.3 mpg US, 30.3 km/l), measured according to WMTC drive cycles (World Motorcycle Test Cycles).

These will be performed on rollers (chassis dynamometer) in a test lab, with instrumentation set up to measure the fuel consumption, and also exhaust emissions. I do this sort of work on cars (not so much these days though). The dynamometer applies resistance that increases speed to replicate road driving quite accurately. Over the test cycle the driver (rider) follows a scrolling line graph of speed against time, and accelerates or decelerates etc to maintain the vehicle (bike) speed indicator on the line. There are specific speeds and requirements for gear changes to be made so that cycles can be completely repeatable and comparable each time. Simple? Try driving one! So the fuel consumption is calculated for the distance covered over the cycle.

I'd never heard of the WMTC cycles, but found them in a publication and have screenshots of them. Anyway you can see that BMW's fuel consumption figure is based on quite variable riding.

So, back to the original question, what do I see displayed as the average fuel consumption - usually it is 3.4 litres / 100 km compared to the achieved value (based on the top up amount) of 3.05 litres / 100 km (conversions 92.6 mpg UK, 77.1 mpg US, 32.8 km/l). My riding is a good mix of rural 80 to 100 km/h with hills etc and 50 km/h urban speed limit.

I have never seen the calculated value lower than the achieved fuel consumption.

It's quite possible this is intentional to give a safety factor as the average consumption is used to calculate range for the remaining fuel in the tank.

Also remember that if you don't reset the average fuel consumption when you fill up, the value it shows is for the distance covered since the last time it was reset.

Attachments

·
Registered
917 Posts
Very interesting.
Like I said before, I always top off completely and the amount of liters and km’s driven give me the actual km per liter.
If this is 100% correct, no, not from one tankstop.
I have calculated my km’s per liter over almost 3000 km and that gives me about 30 - 34 km to a liter super 95.
Riding my G310r, only for fun and no commuting, on winding roads, give me this figure.
If I would drive on motorways, at an average speed above 100 - 120 km/hr, I assume the amount of km’s per liter will go down.
I use the display just for watching my average but know at the end of the day the display average is not the same as the average I calculate from my amount of kilometers.
I can live with that 😜

·
Registered
64 Posts
58 mpg so far on 130 miles going up and over a mountain pass, keeping it around 60mph/6,000rpm for the break in period.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts