BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
How much fuel is left after the fuel light comes on
Approximately 1liter per the specs. However, it will probably vary somewhat from bike to bike. On my particular bike, I have about 1/2 gallon (1.9 liters) of fuel left when the light comes on (had it come on 1 block from a gas station & it took 2.4 gallons to fill it up)

·
Registered
27 Posts
What I have observed so far is, the faster you switch to 3rd gear, the better fuel economy you will get in day to day commute. And till 90 - 95 kms/hr, it is efficient, after that the fuel efficiency takes a nose dive.
I get around 3.8ltr/100Kms (if not riding aggressively), other wise 4.2 ltr/100Kms.

·
Registered
32 Posts
How much fuel is left after the fuel light comes on
I fuelled the bike today when the low fuel light came up the console. I was less than a block away from Petrol Station. Full tank took up 8.9litres which means that 2 litres of petrol was already in the tank when fuel light came up.

In terms of fuel economy, I usually ride in City traffic with daily commute of 42kms. I get economy of 3.1L/100kms which is exactly in line with what Manual states. On highways with sedate speed of about 80km/h, I get fuel economy of around 2.8L/100kms

·
Registered
135 Posts
I find the gauge is pessimistic and I get 5% more mpg than it says. "Light comes on" usually telling me I have just under 50 miles left. I nearly got caught out recently and did about a mile showing no miles left and it took 11.29 litres to fill the tank.

My usual average is high seventies but can average mid eighties. On my last run, travelling with a 1950s 250 doing 50 to 60 mph max, I averaged over 90 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
896 Posts
I fuelled the bike today when the low fuel light came up the console. I was less than a block away from Petrol Station. Full tank took up 8.9litres which means that 2 litres of petrol was already in the tank when fuel light came up.

In terms of fuel economy, I usually ride in City traffic with daily commute of 42kms. I get economy of 3.1L/100kms which is exactly in line with what Manual states. On highways with sedate speed of about 80km/h, I get fuel economy of around 2.8L/100kms
3.1L and 2.8L wow, I must be having too much fun at 4.1L/100km >:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
agree too much fun

3.1L and 2.8L wow, I must be having too much fun at 4.1L/100km >:)
I must be the same, I do get as low as 3.7 for normal straight riding up and down the highways but normally 3.9-4.0 litres per hundred, I am pretty sure BMW do the test on a world standard that when you look it up its an average of 80kmph (could be wrong) and i did when i first bought the bike I got close to that when i was riding at 70-80kmph,
Oh and when i go off road it is much much higher.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I personally only reset the Trip on filling up.
Then work out from how many miles I've done and how much it took to fill up.
Filled up few days ago with 9.60 litres = 2.11 UK gallons and done 169 miles since last fill up that equates to 80 mpg - UK
Not an exact science but good enough for me.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't know how you ride, but it seems a little low should be maybe 58-64? I think it is fairly flat where you are.

If you are hard on the throttle (rapid acceleration) or maybe cruising at a higher rpm than needed you could gain some mpg's by backing off the rpms. Should be able to cruise at 5K

·
Registered
167 Posts
90% of my riding is on twisting 4th and 5th gear roads through the mountains with relatively short straights. For this reason even on the straights I’m rarely going more than 85kph. Most of the time I’m doing about 70 to 75kph and my rpm is around 4000 to 5500.
As a result my consumption is quite regular at 33km/l. This equates to about 92mpg (British).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
175 Posts
Baer in mind the fact that there is a variation of upto 10% +4 km/h in speedometer (and odometer) readings on motor vehicles. This aplies en EU countrys, as per law. See ECE Regulation No. 39. When comparing milage and ranges, the difference could be significant if one bike has a 100% accurate speedometer and the other is in the far end showing 114 km/h in actual 100 km/h speed. As the bike gets its information from the ABS-sensor. The speed (and travelled distance) is also affected by the tire circumference, wich is affected by tire wear.
To complicate things even more, some of us drive in counties where they mix ethanol in the gas and some live where they don't.
I lived in Sweden when they started to mix in 5% ethanol in the 95RON. At that time I had a BMW F650GS. My consumtion increased with 5% in average after that. Today petrol stations in both Sweden and Finland only offer 95E10 RON and 98E5 RON. The E indicates the percentage of ethanol in the fuel.
Only by knowing excact distance travelled and excact measure of fuel consumed, can you get the excact mileage/consumption. And that shows only for the specific trip. Calculating many trips together, you can ofcourse get an average consumption/mileage. Because of all above variables, comparing differences between bikes does not give any accurate information.
More about the speedo error readings in an old article in Cycle World

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a Ducati & a Mercury with fuel computers. One used the the current fuel consumption while one used average fuel consumption. One used tank volume while the other used volume over reserve. So one had 10 mile range when coasting which changed to zero when you hit the gas. The other said zero mile range when the light came on and over one gal. of fuel remained. So it would be helpful to know how the G310 works.

·
Registered
135 Posts
If you see my post a few down we can probably agree that zero really is meant to be zero on the 310, ie tank volume used for the reading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interesting reading everyone's experience here. I am getting 24.3km/l in Cape Town weaving in an out of ques and ques of cars and lots of stoping and starting. Thats based on my personal calculations when I fill up. The dash tells me I am getting 4.3l/100km = 23.2km/l. I know I am having "too much" in the spaces I do get so I'm super happy with those numbers. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are the actual usage numbers for my first 6 tanks. Actual numbers are always 4-5 mpg higher than displayed average. 1 tank I ran down to 2 miles to empty. I put 2.86 gallons in. So miles to empty looks pretty accurate. Riding is a mix of forest roads and mountain 2 lanes. I have been twisting the throttle pretty hard.

Attachments

21 - 36 of 36 Posts