BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Sometimes I ride in highways whit my G310R and I notice that while riding above 110km/h (~70mph) it gets too uncomfortable. The wind blast in my chest it's ok , but I my neck and head are really pushed back, sometimes I feel like my helmet it's getting off (not really, just feel that the wind is pushing the helmet back in the chin area). It get's better if I lean forward, but if there are cars in front of me it's the worst. The winds keeps bouncing my head because of car's aerodynamics.

Is this normal? I mean, I now that naked bikes have a lot of wind blast but there are naked bikes with a lot more CC and CV. I don't get how people can ride in higher speed...

Anyway, I was thinking that it my be related with my helmet not being suitable for this speed range and/or for naked bikes. I have a AGV K3 SV.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
I doubt you’re going to find a much more aerodynamic helmet than the one you have. So yes, it sounds normal to me.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I ride with an open face helmet most of the time.
And have a huge neck because of it. 😂
Wind blast and turbulence is very normal considering the tiny little flyscreen on the bike.
Two ways to improve the issue, buy a bigger windscreen or go slower.
Snug up that chin strap, make sure the helmets the right fit and get used to it.

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
I have a Shoei J Cruise and didn't notice any big problems at 110km/h. Maybe my big grin was holding the helmet in place ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I think your helmet is fine, it's something you'll have to get used to. Wind felt insane the first time I went over 100 (didn't help there was a storm as well) but after an hour of it I got used to it and really enjoyed it.

Maybe the helmet is too loose for you? make sure the helmet is snug, cant be moved once on your head, maybe look at getting a smaller one?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Coming from a Ténéré with a high windscreen, I cannot get used to "nothing" ! So as soon as the Puig and/or the RRProducts trail winscreen is out, this will be my first buy. Riding at any speed without the wind pressure is a real plus.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Coming from a Ténéré with a high windscreen, I cannot get used to "nothing" ! So as soon as the Puig and/or the RRProducts trail winscreen is out, this will be my first buy. Riding at any speed without the wind pressure is a real plus.
Rally Raids windscreens should be out shortly and I believe Wunderlich has them out now.
I bought a small windscreen extender from E-Bay for $25. Adjustable, mounts easily and shipped
fairly fast too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, from what I understood it's a matter of an opinion, right? Some people get used to it and others don't.

I ride a speedway almost everyday (until 100km/h) and the first time I did it I felt it was too windy. But now I'm used to it and really enjoy.

I've ride at 120km/h for an hour but I was totally lean forward. For me it's not a matter of being impossible to ride at that speed, I just find it uncomfortable.

I'm planning to ride in the highway again soon and this time I'll force myself to stand straight just to see how that goes.

Also, I'll try out my girlfriend's helmet that is smaller than mine.

Windscreens are not an option for me, I don't like how naked bike look with them.

Therefore I have 3 options:
- Check if my helmet is loose;
- get another bike (not really)
- Grow a pair? :laugh:

Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
Registered
255 Posts
As Tickster said, you're going to be developing some strong neck muscles. :laugh:

After a long day at high speed my neck needs to be massaged with a jack hammer. Other than tucking in behind a big screen, there's no way around it. And if you find yourself riding through a strong crosswind, it gets even worse.

But it's always worth it.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I ride the highway to work between 70-80mph and I find if I tuck my chin down just a bit it cuts the wind turbulence down a considerable amount. Start by looking straight ahead and slowly move your chin towards your chest and find a tolerable position.

·
Registered
917 Posts
I have a BMW 5 and 6 model helmet (I use the 5, the 6 is brand new, came with the 310).
Both fit like a glove.
They should be very silent and they are ..... with earplugs (custom made)

I have been riding beamers for more than 30 years with different windshields and most of them caused turbulence and WINDNOISE.
Even the adjustable windshield on a R850RT was not really 100 % noise proof.
The best screen ever was the original BMW windscreen on my BMW K75.

To protect what is left (hearing), I use custom made earplugs and once riding, I can hear the traffic and the bike but the noise level is not effecting my hearing.
I love it ;-)

·
Registered
51 Posts
To protect what is left (hearing), I use custom made earplugs and once riding, I can hear the traffic and the bike but the noise level is not effecting my hearing.
I love it ;-)
Bas..what type of earplugs that you custom? i only know a common earplug

·
Super Moderator
897 Posts
I use the Alpine Motosafe tour earplugs for anything 80km/h and over. These are not customised, but really comfortable and filter out harmful noise, you can still hear traffic and people. I also use them when I mow the lawns and trim the edges.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Imedemit,
If you google you will find many suppliers but most of them are not the custom made ones.
I got mine at a shop were they sell hearing aids.
Most of these 'audiciens' (people who qualified to test your ears) can make the 'otoplastieken' (custom made earprotection)
They put something in your ear that will form itself to your inside ear.
From this cast they make the custom ones.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts