BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I really don't know much about technical stuff in general. I've changed my car's oil before, but the car had a dipstick, not an oil window.

This picture was when the engine was ON and it looked off. Is this normal?? It's so dark. I had my service done at 2000 km recently, and now it's only at 2300 km.

Should it look black and frothy like this?? I feel like my 310GS is also running a bit different. I might just be paranoid.

·
Registered
248 Posts
First, you must check oil when the bike has been stopped and the engine off for a while.
Second, bike must be on a level surface and held straight (off the kick)

At this point, the oil level should be at or below max level, and above the lower (min) level.

I will not comment on oil colour as that is to subjective.

I can tell you that my dealer overfilled my bike last year (and I seem to remember other list members complaining of this also).
It seems our motor takes a liter less than other BMW bikes, and the mechanics overfill our bikes through habit, until we teach them otherwise.

Note that overfilling can be as damageable to a motor as under-filling since the overpressure can overwhelm seals and gasket.

So my advice... bring it back to the dealer and have him correct the situation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thomas,
You say you have changed your oil before in your car? Well this is just the same. (You don't have to replace oil filter if it has just been serviced).
Remove the under engine plastic shield.
The drain hole is forward and below the sump window.
Drain oil.
Replace drain bolt.
Fill (on the other side of the engine) with 1400ml of oil. Wait 2 minutes, hold the bike upright and check oil level. Add 100ml at a time until it is between the notches.
Install plastic shield.
Done!

You cannot change your oil too many times. Your engine will love you for it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Looks reasonably normal to me. It's going to darken much quicker than automotive oil because the clutch "dust" is going to get emulsified into the oil (wet clutch), and high heat will only hasten the process of darkening. My (synthetic) oil has about 2000km since being changed with a fresh filter, and it's nearly black. No doubt it would be fine for another 8000km as per the service interval, despite how horrible it appears.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
159 Posts
Did they changed the oil or forgot to do it?
Have you checked the clarity after service?

My engine oil is still crystal clear. :laugh:

How do you ride your bike? High speeds? Short distance?

I have changed the oil of my G310R after 4K, not 10K.
For me the service interval seems to long. There is only 1.6 liter oil inside.
It is very easy and cheap to change it yourself.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thomas,

I have never seen oil froth like that. it is not supposed to. You said the engine was on when you took the photo (that means it was running at the time, correct?) If the engine was running, you would not see any oil in the window as it would be in other parts of the motor lubricating parts.

The only time you see oil in the window is when engine is OFF. If you are seeing this while engine is RUNNING, then I would say it is way overfilled and I would not use bike until you drain oil and add correct amount. I would also give it an extended drain time, say 30 minutes.

IMPORTANT: Make sure you are not using CAR oil. Motorcycle oil ONLY. I am assuming you had service done at BMW dealer? or did you do yourself?

Every motorcycle manufacturer has a different method for checking oil so make sure you go by method in manual. I have a KTM 390 and thought I was checking oil correctly as my Kawasaki could be checked cold in the window. Well, I added oil to level cold in the KTM and I double checked after riding and the level was above window. I checked manual and it said to check HOT, so I had to drain out oil to get correct level. Luckily I had an extractor pump so I did not have to drain and refill.

PS: If you see a powdery substance in the oil, you could be losing a bearing or some other part, so get it checked at a BMW dealer. I had this happen on an old Ninja and the main bearing went shortly thereafter.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2 Sport.
159 Posts
You said the engine was on when you took the photo (that means it was running at the time, correct?) If the engine was running, you would not see any oil in the window as it would be in other parts of the motor lubricating parts.
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
True, do not take a ride with too much engine oil. This can be hazardous to the motorcyle.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts