BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi from a 2016 Suzuki SV650 I have been downsizing my bikes for the past 5 years mainly because as you get older the physical weight of moving your bike around becomes more difficult I have had since I first started riding in 1975 nearly 20 bikes up to 900cc including all the Japanese makes and Triumphs (6) Moto Guzzi and BMWs (5) and my last downsizing was from a BMW F800R to my current bike a 2016 Suzuki SV650. I am now looking to downsize again and seen many reviews on the 310s and have been interested in this forum. I will be taking a test ride on a BMW 310R as soon as the weather here in the UK stops raining, but my question to any of you owners especially any in the UK is can the 310 keep up with the UK speed limits. My concern is on paper the difference between the 650 and the 310 is half in every spec a 650cc, 75hp V-twin down to a 310cc, 34hp single. I have never been interested in the top speed of any bikes I have owned I have always looked at the toque the engine produces to be able to maintain good progress and stay within the speed limits and road conditions. Can anyone who has downsized to a BMW 310R or GS give me their experience. I know it will be down to my own experience on the test ride but other people’s long term ownership is valuable. Many thanks and I hope I will be a proud owner of a BMW 310R in mid April, which colour is another decision my Suzuki is White/Blue with blue wheels so the HP would not be much of a change and they stopped the Blue in the 2019 models so it could be the Cosmic Black and I always associate Red with Honda.
Many thanks
Tony

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi from a 2016 Suzuki SV650 I have been downsizing my bikes for the past 5 years mainly because as you get older the physical weight of moving your bike around becomes more difficult I have had since I first started riding in 1975 nearly 20 bikes up to 900cc including all the Japanese makes and Triumphs (6) Moto Guzzi and BMWs (5) and my last downsizing was from a BMW F800R to my current bike a 2016 Suzuki SV650. I am now looking to downsize again and seen many reviews on the 310s and have been interested in this forum. I will be taking a test ride on a BMW 310R as soon as the weather here in the UK stops raining, but my question to any of you owners especially any in the UK is can the 310 keep up with the UK speed limits. My concern is on paper the difference between the 650 and the 310 is half in every spec a 650cc, 75hp V-twin down to a 310cc, 34hp single. I have never been interested in the top speed of any bikes I have owned I have always looked at the toque the engine produces to be able to maintain good progress and stay within the speed limits and road conditions. Can anyone who has downsized to a BMW 310R or GS give me their experience. I know it will be down to my own experience on the test ride but other people’s long term ownership is valuable. Many thanks and I hope I will be a proud owner of a BMW 310R in mid April, which colour is another decision my Suzuki is White/Blue with blue wheels so the HP would not be much of a change and they stopped the Blue in the 2019 models so it could be the Cosmic Black and I always associate Red with Honda.
Many thanks
Tony
I have my gs310 and and in my opinion, it is not reliable. My gs only 3800km and have waterpump faulty and alternator faulty. To get it repait under warranty took ages. i have enough with Bmw. I have very bad after sales service. I am going to stick with japanese bike now. Enough nightmare with bmw!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had many different bike from all the bike manufactures and you can have bad luck as with any product you buy the main thing is the support you get from your dealership and this can depend on the country you are in and individual dealers. I have never had a problem in over 40 years when a bike has had a warranty issue with all makes of bikes. Here in the UK BMW are very careful of their reputation and to protect this they now have only solo dealers selling BMWs and are strictly monitored on customer satisfaction. I have know over years of owning 5 BMWs, dealers who have been removed from the dealerships for bad customer service. In a emergency BMW can get parts imported within 48hrs even placing the parts in a BMW car being exported to UK I have also had a BMW mechanic sent to my home to replace a faulty part under warranty because the BMW dealer who was over 45 miles away calculated this was the most cost effective way of giving customer satisfaction.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Like yourself, my bikes have become heavier as I have got older - early seventies now. About a year ago I downsized from a 1200GS to a Tiger 800. This I find manageable though always aware of its weight pushing it around. At about the same time I bought a 310GS which was great and really enjoyable to ride. However seat height got to me in the end!

Now have a 310R which I love! A bit lighter and much lower. Strangely performance seems much quicker - I think it is slightly lower geared owing to smaller outer diameter rear wheel(?). Mid range performance is good and it pulls higher gears than I would expect. It will easily cruise at 70mph with about another 15 available subject to running in. So for every day riding no problem apart from overtaking which naturally takes longer and needs care.

I like the handling finding it light and easy and is not upset by bumps at speed. It is also quite comfortable and feels like a bigger bike!

Feel free to ask any more questions.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hi, oldbiker,
why not take one for test ride..
likeyou I wanted a bike less cumbersome, I find the 310 a real hoot.
Keep up with traffic.? No problem, you need to review the nuts off it , that's where the power is.
Yes we've all suffered what you might call teething problems!!
In most cases a good dealer will sort them ..
have fun.. Jon.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had many different bike from all the bike manufactures and you can have bad luck as with any product you buy the main thing is the support you get from your dealership and this can depend on the country you are in and individual dealers. I have never had a problem in over 40 years when a bike has had a warranty issue with all makes of bikes. Here in the UK BMW are very careful of their reputation and to protect this they now have only solo dealers selling BMWs and are strictly monitored on customer satisfaction. I have know over years of owning 5 BMWs, dealers who have been removed from the dealerships for bad customer service. In a emergency BMW can get parts imported within 48hrs even placing the parts in a BMW car being exported to UK I have also had a BMW mechanic sent to my home to replace a faulty part under warranty because the BMW dealer who was over 45 miles away calculated this was the most cost effective way of giving customer satisfaction.
You are lucky.... Here in Australia i have sicked dealing with bmw, my gs only 3800km, waterpump faulty took 2 weeks to replace, alternator faulty 3 weeks stillwaiting for part till now. The dealer as well as bmw seems very less supportive. Perhaps mine is a cheap gs. I give up dealing with bmw!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you Oldgser thats the type of answers I was hoping for and having to be careful on the seat height is also one of the concerns when looking at any new bike in the past there has been many bikes I have looked at but the seat height has stop me buying a particular model. I looked at the Triumph Tiger when it first came out but it was a no no because of the high seat. I am now looking forward to a test ride because you said it can handle 70mph, I accept a bit more planning is needed when overtaking.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi OldBiker
I did exactly the same. I am nearing 60. been riding since I was 16. Likes of BMW R80, 100 / K75 100, Honda Pan Euro/ VFR, Kwak ZZR and Ducati 1098 to name a few.
I have gone 'down' to the 310GS - my reasons for the GS was a commute of 40 miles on North Yorkshires finest roads, but they are poorly maintained. A road on my commute is named as one of UK best biking roads, why I've no idea its pothole alley. I am a short ar$£ at 5'7". a couple of years ago had a knee replacement and I'm just getting old and wiser.
The only thing I've found is clutch is very light. Your issue of keeping up with the traffic was one of my concerns before I bought - its no problem for me, even tho as you can see what bikes I've come from.
The 310GS is brilliant and I have no regrets and would recommend.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Tukemeister, I am nearly 64 5'7" and I remember my K75c still one of my best bikes, but when I look at photos of the K75c I think how did I used move that bike about but I did keep it for 13 years and only lost £500 when I sold it for another BMW. The light clutch is something I will have to get used to again as on the 2016 SV650 you have Suzuki's clutch assist which means you cannot stall it as when you release the clutch the revs increase without the need to open the throttle must be great for new riders on a bigger bike it also means in stop/start traffic queues the bike will never stall even in the wrong gear and going too slow for that gear!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Strangely my GS was very easy to stall, even after a years ownership(50+ years riding). For some reason R never stalls - everything is the same but different! Maybe as I mentioned before it is slightly lower geared.

BTW you can now get BMW heated grips for the R and GS - they work well.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Old Biker. I too am an oldie. (68) I have the R and had the same concerns as yourself. Coming from a Yamaha Tracer MT09 (a tall bike).I think it is essential to have a test ride on the R. I was pleasantly surprised. When you start her up, it doesn't sound very impressive. a bit sewing machine like, but boy, when you wind her up, its a different matter (stock exhaust) Its a joy to ride.Corners well.Is nippy. But, if you plan on doing a lot of long motorway journeys, and your weight is a bit generous like me (100kgs) and there is a headwind blowing, I think I would advise looking at something else. I am lucky, I have the R and have just changed a Suzuki GSX S 750 for a Vstrom 650, which seat height is just right for me, and it's not too heavy moving around the garage etc. But the R is lovely and light.
But, a test ride in your situation is a must, obviously.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
I've been riding since I was 16 as well, and am now 58. I currently have the G310R as well as a C650 Sport, a '76 Yamaha XS650 and a 2005 Husqvarna 510 SMR. I was just riding the 310R yesterday and stalled it once more, as I have about 10 times or so during my year of ownership. This is the only bike that I am able to stall from time to time, never happens on the two other manual shift ones.
That's been the only issue for me though, and not a major one. The bike is super-light and ultra-nimble. Even though I am 6'2 the bike feels large enough for me. It is also very fast, due to very low gearing. I only ride it on surface streets around Los Angeles, and rarely exceed 50 MPH. If you want to really 'go' you just rev the heck out of it, which it seems to have no issues with. Driven more docile, I am often already in 6th gear going 35 MPH and that's fine too. It's the most 'flickable' of my bikes and I really like it. I think you will like it on the test ride as well. Let us know!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi OldBiker,

For reference, my 310R has a little over 10,000 miles on it. So far:

- Side stand recall
- Faulty dash replaced under warranty
- The bike isn't starting in gear (new problem)

They have 3 year warranty in the US, so yes, they fixed it, but I find a little annoying to have to be going to the dealership (and they're sluggish to help you).

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also: you may consider your height. The seat is 30.9 inches.

I'm 5'10 and my knees start hurting some 1-2 hours of riding (MY knees. I'm not saying it hurts for everyone or the bike ergos are off) . One time I did a full day trip with it and the painful memories still haunt me

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Also: you may consider your height. The seat is 30.9 inches.

I'm 5'10 and my knees start hurting some 1-2 hours of riding (MY knees. I'm not saying it hurts for everyone or the bike ergos are off) . One time I did a full day trip with it and the painful memories still haunt me
Good point. The factory does make a higher seat, as do some after market vendors. Maybe look into that.

·
Registered
155 Posts
@OldBiker

I too have downsized and have a 2018 G310GS. I have been riding since I was 13 ( in the dirt ) and I am now 64 years old. I have just over 18,000 miles on my little beemer, getting ready to drop it off for its 18k check up. It has done very well by me. I push it hard and it does everything I ask of it. I have taken it all the way across the USA and back, ridden some days more than 12 hrs, it handles constant speeds of 70 to 80 mph all day long and I have personally hit 96 mph with it fully loaded. It is agile, light, and quick for its size. Since owning this bike it has used NO oil, Never leaked, and Never failed to put a smile on my face. I have clocked well over 2,000 miles of off road with it so far. Dirt roads, gravel, sand, forest roads and even a few single track trails, I have dropped it 3 or 4 times in the dirt and I has brought me home every time.

That said I have had a few problems along the way but BMW USA has fixed everything in a timely manner. My electrical system went out and BMW picked up my bike and delivered it to the dealer where the battery, voltage regulator and stator were replaced. I had my Cush Drive rubbers replaced at 6k miles during my first real service. I also had the kick stand recall preformed all done under warranty.
I have owned well over 20 motorcycles from Honda's, Harley's, Triumph's, BSA's, Norton's, etc. I can't say that any one of them fewer problem than the BMW. It is a First Gen machine, built in India, there will be issues, but BMW has always gone above and beyond to correct the problems that pop up.
I think you will enjoy the G310. It will get better as you put miles on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Tony,

My last bike before the G310GS was a Suzuki GSXS1000. Before that, a few Hayabusas, a Thruxton 900

It gets up to freeway speed fast enough. Not interested in drag racing at streetlights or doing Ghost rider Stockholm to Upsala in less than 15 minutes. I'm over the ego. Been there and done that.
I can cruise at 60-70mph no problems with some power to spare even with a top box and a pillion on board. Turns easy and confidently.
Now if you wana keep up with mates who speed, then thats a different story.

I downsized simply because when I test rode the G310GS, I had a blast on it going the speed limit at a test ride. I spend 99% of the time doing the freeway speed limit. I suspect that the R is even quicker.

I've had the bike for 3 months now and ride it out a lot more often than any of the other big bikes I've had. Having said that, ergonomically, it fits a lot better for me and a lot lighter than the big bikes. With the big bikes, I sometimes couldn't be arsed riding just because I didn't want to push the 200+ kg bikes out the garage. This thing however, is like pushing out a bicycle comparatively.

Have you taken one out to a freeway yet?

Many thanks
Tony

·
Registered
154 Posts
Just returned from Daytona Bikeweek. Ran I95 from Georgia line to St Augustine staying with traffic without problem. Even when driving my truck I tend to stay in the slow lane which runs around 75 mph or more. This prevents being in the wrong lane at a needed exit. The bike only weighs 350 pounds and is subject to being blown around by strong wind and turbulence from semi trucks. The bike is great on two lane tight twisty roads, but is definitely not the machine to cross the US on the slab although it has been done, but not by 76 year old me. I have several times traveled from south GA to NC or TN on back roads. This is a 400 mile trip. I like the machine at 100 klicks better than faster.

The 1100 RT was more machine than I wanted to push around the yard and it went. I rode an airhead for a while, but while waiting on machine shop service, I test rode and bought the 310R.

At 5'8" yesterday afternoon wearing leather pants it was difficult to slide my leg over the seat to get on or off. I joked the bike grew during the week. At around 9000 miles I still enjoy the machine and hope to spend a good bit of the summer in the Blue Ridge where this is a fun ride.While I had a bad stator strand me, the dealer located one and had me on the road within a couple of weeks. Coming from years of airheads, this bike is not a road side repairable bike. On the other hand, it should have less problems than a 35 year old bike.

This may well be my last bike to ride any distance

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hello,

I sold my G650GS Sertao for the price of the brand new G310GS. The Sertao was too heavy for me on the trails after some time, and instantly when dropped. My back isn't what it used to be with a couple herniated disks. Lifting the G310 is so much easier, as you would assume. The performance difference is not as bad as you may assume, likely due to the G650GS seemed to have been governed down in some way. I easily beat my brother in a drag race on his KLR650. I have put 8000 miles on my G310GS since I bought it last August. I rode it from the dealership in Riverside California, to my home in Bellingham Washington. That is nearly Mexico to Canada. 1300 miles. The bike did the freeway beautifully! Even though forest fires in Oregon! I use it to commute from Bellingham to my work in Vancouver BC as well. Lots of highway miles. Super smooth for a single cylinder! I love the exhaust note when revving it up too! Plus it looks so good that everytime I look at it, i want to ride it! I get comments from people all the time.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts