BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I live in the South, so as far as the weather goes, you can easily ride year-round. That being said, I rarely see bikes on the road once the high season is over. And even when it’s summer, I mainly see other riders on weekends. As far as I can tell, there are very few people who use a bike for more than just the occasional weekend ride.

· Registered
2 Posts
My first real motorcycle was a 250. They all got me where I wanted to go and fast enough. After a few more 250's I moved to 650. Got the job done, just a bit faster. And heavier. And taller. Then on to 1150. Same story. As I move through this made called life I long for comfort and confidence. Let bikes are just too much. Too much weight. Too much complexity. Too much cost. I'm mucking to a smaller, lighter, more economical cycle, g310.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
So reviving old post, this isn’t the one I thought but close. I recently had some education on expenses and dual sport capabilities. On a ride and came across a couple of new KTM 500 enduros, Wow so superior to my RR equipped 310 in the dirt. Impossible to get a 310 to the same level of performance but with say $4000 (I forgot what Jerry spent) you can get close.
So I was thinking, why would anyone spend like $10,000 to have an “ok” dirt bike. Then I asked how much the KTM costs…More than $10k and that’s base, and there’s always additions. Hmm that sure makes the 310 looking better. Then both KTM riders and my friend on an 890 KTM all said they really found their bikes to be a drag to ride on the street. Something the 310 excels at Stock even. Actually, on tarmac I could keep pace with the 890 as his top speed was less than mine due to gearing!
So hug your 310 and don’t be afraid to put some money into it if your want to venture off the beaten path. The 310 may well be the best of both worlds available.

Reactions: JerryG

· Premium Member
614 Posts
Actually, on tarmac I could keep pace with the 890 as his top speed was less than mine due to gearing!
I'm shocked about the 890 gearing. Wow!

Impossible to get a 310 to the same level of performance but with say $4000 (I forgot what Jerry spent) you can get close.
Not counting the Mosko Moto Reckless 80L luggage, I've spent ~$6500 over and above the cost of the G310GS itself, which was about the same, so I've spent ~$13,000 at this point. The link below is the thread that has a list of my mods and links to each one. I chose to mod the G310GS like this because I wanted an adventure bike that was comfortable long-distance on the road, BDR/TAT capable off-road, and less than 400 lbs so I can be laughing while picking up the bike after off-road "naps" as @ARBOLMANO likes to call them.

P.S. I didn't name the above thread; that was the brain child of @ARBOLMANO.

If I have a concern at this point, it's about the four confirmed catastrophic engine failures and the decision by those owners that they no longer trust the G310GS to do what they bought it for. The thread for that discussion is...

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Yeah I was amazed too, low gearing with near 100hp, he can accelerate. Like 40” seat height
he estimates like $20k in it, 35mpg so though he can carry 4 gallons of fuel I think I have more range. I wouldn’t even want to ride it, I know myself better. But he’s been an expert rider for years. Trying to ride easy on account his back. Slowing down so I can keep up is the concept. Like a govener. Frustrating for him but works, you’ll meet him at Death Valley.
So you’ve got less money in your bIke than the comparable KTM 500 and it’s better on road. If slightly less off road.
I wouldn’t compare with the 390KTM as out the box BMW better off road. Comparable on road.
I‘d say that’s a win for the team. and if it self destructs you’ve already got all the bits to set up another.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
if it self destructs you’ve already got all the bits to set up another
If I can't trust it for long distance on-road to get to and ride BDRs and the TAT, I'll have to redo my calculus on this. There is an interesting 382 lbs dry-weight optimized-for-reliability old-school wild card option out there...

Just today, a friend loaned me the book he and his riding buddy published about the run down to the bottom of South American...

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Why can’t you trust your bike? That’s crazy. Airheads are far more likely to let you down under the same conditions, if you could get there at all. Forget what you’ve “heard”. Run it and forget about it. If your the lucky person to get .01% failed unit, then sell the replacement with farkles installed. You had a great experience, move on.
Buy the Honda they tend to think things through better than some, less apt to be cuttting edge like BMW. It’s one of those things it’s silly to fret on while under warranty.
Certainly a unit I’d be concerned buying used right now, not at all in a few years when continues to be statistically a very dependable unit.
My concern is that DLC might be the “holy grail” of the auto/cycle industry. A product that performs amazing for a specified period then self destructs. General Motors perfected this strategy in the late 1970s. Thus once warrant out you need a new car. The Germans were slower to take up the mantle and the Japanese could not bear to participate in making shoddy stuff. The World has seen the results and over the decades we have what we have.
We already are of the use it and toss philosophy on so many things I could see a “holy grail” fitting right in there. Particulary on at a time where really a three year old bike could be outdated, in need of tires etc, the consumers gonna like that cause the “price is right”.
So I myself will wait and see and ride worry free, worry on things I can affect.
I find it hard to believe BMW would have a big “cover up” if TVS was having issues with the tech. Mostly because self destruct on large enough scale is a Federal Safety Issue as non running whist at flow is hazardous and folks are quick to file and organize in these internet daze. And last read BMW was expanding production with TVS not something they would do if things were smelling lIke bad curry.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Myth motor. Are you serious? I laughed so hard. Drum rear brake. Ever ride wet drum brakes off road? Try running todays ethanol on a carbed air cooled unit, I have. Especially if built performance.
Honda XR650L eat that unit for breakfast on all fronts except cost.

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
And last read BMW was expanding production with TVS not something they would do if things were smelling lIke bad curry.
To Arbo's point, take a look at BMW Motorrad sales numbers for 2022:

They have pretty strong sales in emerging markets, a large chunk of which are no doubt 310 models. I assume that's only going to increase now that the RR is coming out.

· Premium Member
614 Posts
All good points and part of the calculus I was referring to, so thank you. But, like the admittedly only three folks so far who have had four engines self destruct literally under them, if I had one self destruct under me, I too would very likely lose confidence in the bike. I don't think I would change my thinking to "disposable" and simply buy another. I might decide, like those others did, that while it's a good bike for other use cases, it's not a good choice for what I was trying to do with it. I'm certainly not there yet. I'm going to use the heck out of it and see.

P.S. I was really bothered by the drum brake too. If I really start thinking along those lines, I'm sure he could do a disc brake plus there are other bike choices I'd consider too. The point is, I don't necessarily have confine myself to current offerings.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
Enjoy a fantastic bike, don’t worry on potential issues! For sure move on if disaster strikes. So many alternatives both retro and new. Not better but different. And God knows whats coming down the pipe but that’s it But it will be better of course. Many prognostic types were blown by BMW’s call to produce an attractive priced motorbike, not like old BMW

Reactions: JerryG

· Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I've been lusting after a bigger bike with more creature comforts for a while now. I talked to a dealer about a 2023 F 850 GS in the beautiful new trophy colors. Plus fees and aux lights and crash bars, the bike comes in at $20,000...before tax.

I think I'll stay with my 310 for a while. If it dies on me or if the engine explodes I'll just buy a new one while the other one gets fixed up.

· Registered
1,082 Posts
It really is an insane value bike! With some really cool ideas applied. My offroad partners last week all dug how the exhaust is placed and high intake. The value so good, it is conceivable to drop another $3000? and boost displacement and horsepower to like 50? I forget. Probably more like $5000 but you get my point. Or go nitrous oxside and buy another when it blows up. Limited bike sure, it’s only 313cc and only costs $6000. Awesome.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts