BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
ok i have looked and looked, i can't even find the supposed bracket for the socket On the 310GS I've studied the photo's and i looked up and down, is it on the 310r only or only some models of the GS,

·
Registered
117 Posts
Did anyone ascertain if this socket exists on the GS310? I had a look behind the headlight on mine and couldn't see it however it sounds like it could be well hidden and clipped into the wiring loom...
After dismounting the whole front, only found the two spare sockets presumably dedicated to options like heated grips, but nothing else visible.

Here a picture from the german forum :

·
Registered
337 Posts
After dismounting the whole front, only found the two spare sockets presumably dedicated to options like heated grips, but nothing else visible.
Where are they in relation to the headlight connector? The pic of the connectors is great, but doesn't provide any reference as to where they are.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well done and thank you dejah. Back to the drawing board to work out the easiest way to install a USB socket for my phone....
You're welcome. Will try to takes some photos next time I do the undressing to change the turn lights ;-)
Regarding the USB socket, I've choosen the RR Products solution, with their auxiliary plate mounted over the top bar clamp, with a direct connexion to the battery following the electric beam through the right side.

·
Super Moderator
1,276 Posts

Well done and thank you dejah. Back to the drawing board to work out the easiest way to install a USB socket for my phone....
Check out my posts an pictures in this thread, I think this is the best way to install a usb socket, I have also included links to the ebay items that I bought. Cost me A$34 all up.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Did anyone ascertain if this socket exists on the GS310? ..
Yes they exist.
One on the "R"
Two on the "GS"

As I have said a few times before, make sure to reference the model in question, there are a few differences between the two.
It also helps to include what "you" own in your signature line at the bottom of the post area.
Easily done in settings.

Reactions: Geoff PD

·
Registered
117 Posts
Check out my posts an pictures in this thread, I think this is the best way to install a usb socket, I have also included links to the ebay items that I bought. Cost me A$34 all up.
Yes, if you prefer to get your USB switched on/off with the ignition key. But as noted by ktmmitch with their RR Products solution, you may want to have your unit powered permanently.

·
Registered
337 Posts
But anyway, you'll see them once the front is naked :grin2:
Thank you. Stripping the bike is something that I'm putting off, although I realize that I'll have to do it sooner or later. I'll wait for the weather to warm up a bit before I sit down with tools.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Thank you. Stripping the bike is something that I'm putting off, although I realize that I'll have to do it sooner or later. I'll wait for the weather to warm up a bit before I sit down with tools.
Well you have to check your air filter sometime.:grin2:

·
Registered
337 Posts
...you'll see them once the front is naked :grin2:
No luck. The bike is stripped down and I located the area of the picture you posted, but there are no connectors anywhere.

Perhaps the US version is different.

I've got everything off but the instrument cluster. Not sure how that comes off, as the only two screws that I can see are the ones that hold the headlight in.

And I have NEVER seen so many screws in my life! Luckily they're all the same except for one long one for the front center tank cover and 6 of them have plastic washers (and I remember where those 6 go).

But as one poster said, the next time will be a lot quicker. I probably should have shot some video or at least a series of stills.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Me again - sorry to be a pest - but did you have to remove the front turn signals? I wouldn't think so, but one never knows.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Me again - sorry to be a pest - but did you have to remove the front turn signals? I wouldn't think so, but one never knows.
Nope. But if you need to change the front signals, the full dismount is mandatory, since they are the only screws with hidden nuts at the other end, instead of a threaded clip like everywhere esle.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Regarding the USB socket, I've choosen the RR Products solution, with their auxiliary plate mounted over the top bar clamp, with a direct connexion to the battery following the electric beam through the right side.
[/QUOTE]

since you did a direct connection to the battery, the 12v socket is always ''power on'' or you need to turn the key on?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Nope. But if you need to change the front signals, the full dismount is mandatory, since they are the only screws with hidden nuts at the other end, instead of a threaded clip like everywhere esle.
Thanks - I obviously didn't find all of the fasteners. I'll try again later.

Actually, You can get the turn signal nut back on using a hemostat to hold it. Not easy, since you're working entirely by feel, but easier than removing all the bodywork.

I noticed that my left turn signal was loose a week or so ago (before I started taking the bodywork off) and got a hex key to tighten it up. It didn't tighten. I saw a M6 nut on the floor under the bike that was too clean to have spent much time on my garage floor.

Pic taken with an endoscope after I got the nut back on:

41 - 60 of 89 Posts