BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Checking over my bike today I have discovered a lot of corrosion and bubbling on the engine casings especially around the starter motor and alternator cover area where the corrosion has got in under the coatings. This is obviously where the previous owner has left road salt to do it's worst! My problem is now, without replacing expensive parts, how do I get rid of it or control it? I would assume it is not uncommon due to the total lack of weather protection offered by the very trendy but absolutely useless front mudguard!
Has any one else suffered this problem and if so what have you done about it?
Thanks
Bill

·
Registered
330 Posts
Hi Billbailey.
yes the mudguard is limited in its use.
On my previous old honda I had a similar problem to yours [although the honda was >10 years old]
I wire-brushed off and emery'd the corrosion, then used Hammerite silver to repaint.
(on any aluminium bits you may need their undercoat)
The colour match whilst not perfect was ok.

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
144 Posts
I own the 310 for three years and used it on every winter.
Best medicine is never to clean the bike. Keep a nice extra dirt coating for the wintertime. 😁

The only thing you can do to have a showroom condition is to take the parts to the painter.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I own the 310 for three years and used it on every winter.
Best medicine is never to clean the bike. Keep a nice extra dirt coating for the wintertime. 😁

The only thing you can do to have a showroom condition is to take the parts to the painter.
I have been riding bikes for a very long time and have done at least 150 thousand miles on them in all weathers but have never seen this type of corrosion (the BMW has only done 2 thousand miles). I don't want "showroom condition" but just a decent bike that does not have the engine coating flaking off. Looks like this will be my first and last BMW!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Billbailey.
yes the mudguard is limited in its use.
On my previous old honda I had a similar problem to yours [although the honda was >10 years old]
I wire-brushed off and emery'd the corrosion, then used Hammerite silver to repaint.
(on any aluminium bits you may need their undercoat)
The colour match whilst not perfect was ok.
I have never had this problem before, on any of the many bikes I have been riding since 1963, which makes me sure the BMW coating process is at fault as my other bike a Triumph Street Twin is totally unaffected by the British weather and has more miles on it.
Thanks for your suggestion regarding Hammerite which seems the be my only option although I will need both silver for the alternator cover and black for the crankcase which I have now noticed is also very badly affected.
Bill

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
144 Posts
I have been riding bikes for a very long time and have done at least 150 thousand miles on them in all weathers but have never seen this type of corrosion (the BMW has only done 2 thousand miles). I don't want "showroom condition" but just a decent bike that does not have the engine coating flaking off. Looks like this will be my first and last BMW!!
I have owned for over 40 bikes.
And I do not recognize your problem as an common quality issue for all 310' bikes.
Maybe some batches from TVS are not the same, or this bike has been treated poorly.
The bike is not being build bij BMW... but previous BMW's (F series) from Germany did have 'winter quality problems'.

I you do not want a showroom condition, just use hammerite.
The bike is not worth repairing it professionally. :ROFLMAO:

Said to use exclamation marks..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have owned for over 40 bikes.
And I do not recognize your problem as an common quality issue for all 310' bikes.
Maybe some batches from TVS are not the same, or this bike has been treated poorly.
The bike is not being build bij BMW... but previous BMW's (F series) from Germany did have 'winter quality problems'.

I you do not want a showroom condition, just use hammerite.
The bike is not worth repairing it professionally. :ROFLMAO:

Said to use exclamation marks..
You may think the problem is not common but I have certainly now recognised it on other G310's and it always looks the same in that the coating bubbles up and then flakes off. This is also always around the front of the crank case and the alternator cover where the useless front mudguard allows whatever to bombard them. So I conclude the problem is firstly the mudguard (which fails to guard) and then the coating not being man enough to preclude moisture ingress.
Finally, like you, I have owned many bikes over the years and ridden them for thousands of miles in all weathers but none have ever had this problem; I won't have this problem again either as I will never ever have another BMW!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Yes its not what you'd expect from bmw.
Many of us have had varying quality problems.
But we have to see that this is not really a BMW ... Its a TVS with a BMW badge .
I too was lured to by a bmw, and have been underwhelmed by the quality and service.
I'm sure if I had bought a 'real' bmw [i hope] that my experience would have been better.
Yes I got what I paid for ...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes its not what you'd expect from bmw.
Many of us have had varying quality problems.
But we have to see that this is not really a BMW ... Its a TVS with a BMW badge .
I too was lured to by a bmw, and have been underwhelmed by the quality and service.
I'm sure if I had bought a 'real' bmw [i hope] that my experience would have been better.
Yes I got what I paid for ...
Yes my other bike, a Triumph Street Twin, which is apparently made somewhere in the Far East, suffers from no quality problems that I have found so far. In fact the quality of finish is excellent and seems to be standing the test of time even though it's now 3 years old. It also helps that I live near to a large Triumph main dealer ("Staffordshire Triumph") who give excellent, quality and polite service and nothing seems to much trouble for them.
Once again the bottom line is "stick to what you know and trust" and don't buy cheap!!

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
144 Posts
Yes my other bike, a Triumph Street Twin, which is apparently made somewhere in the Far East, suffers from no quality problems that I have found so far. In fact the quality of finish is excellent and seems to be standing the test of time even though it's now 3 years old. It also helps that I live near to a large Triumph main dealer ("Staffordshire Triumph") who give excellent, quality and polite service and nothing seems to much trouble for them.
Once again the bottom line is "stick to what you know and trust" and don't buy cheap!!
Well your roads must be must worse than here..?
I owned other bikes that were suffering from salty roads as well. Don't see it here.
Maybe our system has improved..

My friend has two 675 Triumph bikes, one just for spare parts to keep it riding. 🤣
Both suffer electrical problems, but it seems that he has found the issue.
The regulator assembly is not any good.

Knipsel14.JPG

The spare part bike was even worse..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well your roads must be must worse than here..?
I owned other bikes that were suffering from salty roads as well. Don't see it here.
Maybe our system has improved..

My friend has two 675 Triumph bikes, one just for spare parts to keep it riding. 🤣
Both suffer electrical problems, but it seems that he has found the issue.
The regulator assembly is not any good.

View attachment 15914 View attachment 15913
The spare part bike was even worse..
Yes our roads up here can get bad in the winter as we are at the bottom of the Pennines and quite high up; our local council is even called "The Staffordshire Moorlands". I have had regulator problems in the past with a Suzuki VL800 but (crossed fingers) no such problems so far, or of any other kind, with the Street Twin. The funny thing about the BMW is that it spent most of it's life (2000 of it's 2300 miles in and around London where I didn't realise salt was ever required!!

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
144 Posts
Fifteen years ago I owned a Triumph Trophy 1200 and 900 Trident.
Both were not perfect bikes, the Trophy was addicted to engine oil, and the Trident was eating engine coils. :ROFLMAO:

But they have given me a lot of fun.
The 3-cilinder engine was very good and fast on the race track.

I have visited the factory before the big fire.

Said that your BMW suffers from engine corrosion.
I hope that you will have a pleasant ride. (y)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have had problems with mainly 60's Triumphs before eg. Zener diodes, fork seals, wheel bearings, leaking pushrod tubes, cracked cylinder heads etc. etc. The thing is they were all from a different era and that's what most bikes were like that were built in those days; until the Japanese arrived! However none of those 60's bikes ever had engine corrosion and in addition my trusty old 1982 CX500, on which I covered over 90K miles in all weathers, never suffered like the G310R which has only covered 2.2K miles. So I don't think the BMW will be getting much exercise and I'll be sticking to my Street Twin which is obviously of far, far better quality!!! So much for the myth of German engineering!!
You may say why did I ever buy the BMW in the first place? Well it was obviously one of those things that happens to most people in life - a mistake!

David

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
So road salt damage and neglect from previous owner and you're blaming the bike?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So road salt damage and neglect from previous owner and you're blaming the bike?
YES obviously the bike must take most of the blame as the coatings are obviously of very poor quality! The moisture could have even been trapped under the coatings during manufacture give the extent of the bubbling with no apparent surface damage.

As I have tried saying before I am no novice rider and have had many bikes over the 30 or so years I have been riding in all sorts of weathers and have never had problems like this. This is only my second German bike and the first, an MZ, was not a bad bike and far better in handling the British weather; as were the many other Japanese and British bikes I have owned.

So, back to my original, and only sensible, conclusion; the BMW is a very likely a little cheap and a little nasty! with a very expensive badge!

·
Super Moderator
1,108 Posts
But you're comparing apples with oranges, only way to really tell is to give the previous owner some different bikes and tell them to treat them exactly the same and see what happens ;)

You realise that galvanic cell reaction (caused by the salt) could potentially cause the bubbling without the need for any moisture to get under the coating?

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310R, 2020 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650cc
65 Posts
Why do people think BMWs are better built than any other mass produced bikes regardless of country of production. In 50yrs of owning nearly all of the big bike names I have found they all will suffer from finish and weather damage if the owner does not take some preventive protection. A badge on the tank does not mean quality. I have owned 5 BMWs and I have never purchased because of I think I am buying a better product, I buy because the style of bike fits my personal use. You will have the same disappointment if you ever buy a Rolls Royce!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just like a politician you can make all the excuses you can think of, until the cows come home, but you will never convince me now. Do you work for BMW by the way?
PS. I also know more than a little about galvanic action having spent 22 years, including 17 years at sea as a chief technician, in the Royal Navy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts