BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a G310R and took it out for a spin on slightly wet dirt roads. I was amazed when I got off at how much dirt was coating the back of the bike. It was sprayed up on top of the passenger seat, even the back of my helmet.

The previous owner installed a "fender eliminator" kit, so I imagine that is part of the problem. I also don't have a lot of experience with sportier bikes, my last motorcycle was a cruiser with a much larger rear fender, so, even with a stock rear fender, how much spray do other G310R riders get when they ride in the damp?

I see the mudguard fender that covers the back of the wheel is a popular aftermarket accessory. I have also found a splash guard that covers the bottom of the rear shock, and a front fender extender.

Does anyone else ride on the occasional dirt road? Any recommendations for accessories to keep the mud off the bike? Should I look into finding and reinstalling the factory rear fender? Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I kept mine standard and for a fair amount of gravel/dirt roads.
I do try to avoid damp conditions because I'm lazy and hate to wash any type of vehicles (you should see my car at the end of a winter!).
Anyway, the stock R rear fender does a OK job but not anything to write home about.
My tail-bags (ViaTerra Claw-Mini for everyday use, Claw for longer trips) do get a little splash over but it's livable.

So...back to stock ?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Driving on wet dirt roads is a dirty business! My GS is sometimes covered in dirt, mud and clay. I have the standard mud guard and tried with an additional hugger. Before the hugger (cheap China alu-prod.) broke off, I noticed a slight improvement. The problem with the hugger was that it collected lots of muck that had to be washed off.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Don't the Australian bikes have an extra factory 'mud guard' that the rest of us don't get ..??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't the Australian bikes have an extra factory 'mud guard' that the rest of us don't get ..??

Thanks, I'll check with my local dealer to see if they can order one.
Until then, I put up a posting asking if anyone with a stock bike wants to do a component swap to gain an akrapovic and a fender eliminator.

The big question now is, do the fender eliminator kits involve shortening the wire harness? I hope not, but I'll find out soon enough!

·
Registered
2018 G310R
11 Posts
The standard mudguarding, both front and back, on the R models is atrocious. The bike is filthy and I have a mud stripe up my back after any ride on damp or wet roads - more or less permanent in Cornwall! BMW should be shamed of themselves for turning out a supposedly "sensible" bike like this. If I'd wanted a totally impractical bike I'd havee bought a sportsbike or a cafe racer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if the best solution is just to keep a spigot near where I park the bike, and spray her down after each wet ride.

But, if I can get my hands on that Australian fender...

·
Registered
G310GS, S1000RR. HP2.
123 Posts
I have this cheap AlieExpress model for 10.000 km on my back. Of the motorcycle. 🤣

Only higwhay use..

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got a rear mudguard as fitted to the Australian market models for my GS and it made a fair
difference but the muck still hits the back of one's legs. The front guard is better than that on the R but I fitted a mudflap anyway.

Frankly, the mudguarding on most modern bikes comes nowhere near meeting the requirements of UK Construction and Use Regulations - I don't know how manufacturers get away with it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Hi,
FYI, most of the ABS parts are quite reasonable from BMW, but check E-Bay for second hand parts- May save you !
NB, G310R back inner guard/fender is NOT the same as the G310GS. Check the attachment points at each side.
Happy hunting !

1 - 10 of 10 Posts