BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone wrapped their exhaust header on the G310R? Your thoughts, pros, cons?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Has anyone wrapped their exhaust header on the G310R? Your thoughts, pros, cons?
It's just a fashionable thing to do at the moment - no gain at all. In fact it makes the exhaust hotter as it can't dissipate heat as easy as it does without wrapping. Don't bother as it's easy to clean the exhaust anyway.

·
Registered
486 Posts
They were originally used in race cars to reduce temperature in engine bays, but on bikes it really doesn't do much. Even Grand Prix bikes doesn't use it.

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I ended up wrapping my exhaust header, mostly because I wanted to do something and it wasn't too expensive to do, also for the looks and finally because I did notice a fair bit of heat coming of the header when the bike was stationary.

I'm reasonably happy with the result and it's given me a psychosomatic increase in power of 10% ;)

In addition to the hex bits, you will need a 10mm torx socket to remove the exhaust from the bike. I unplugged the O2 sensor, snipped the cable ties and left it on the exhaust for the wrapping and sealing with high temp clear coat.

I'll post some pictures soon.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have attached some pictures of the wrapped header.

As I said before, it's a relatively easy thing to do and I like the look of it. :grin2:
are you sure however this is a good idea? at first i thought that it would be a "necessary" modification, since the suspension is really close to the pipe and thus heated. but i am not sure if this is a good thing for the exhaust pipe.
take a look here:
https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
Whoever wrote the article has no clue. "Imagine having to replace a $1500 set of headers every race weekend." For cup racers, $1500 is nothing. They do teardowns and rebuilds on everything. Engines can cost about 10 times that amount.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Looks awesome! I'll probably do it simply for looks one of these days.

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
are you sure however this is a good idea? at first i thought that it would be a "necessary" modification, since the suspension is really close to the pipe and thus heated. but i am not sure if this is a good thing for the exhaust pipe.
take a look here:
https://www.centuryperformance.com/exhaust-header-heat-wraps-do-not-use.html
Of course it's a good idea, I mean, what type of temperatures are we talking about here? Also, I sealed the wrap with high temp clear coat to avoid the moisture issue, and it's the stock header and exhaust, if anything happens I can always replace it with an Akra :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts