BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have just bought a new 2019 G310R to return to biking after 15 years. I like the bike but not too impressed with the sound of it, especially at low revs. I’m not a fan of noisy bikes but this does seem a bit bland. Can anyone recommend a not too noisy and UK legal exhaust upgrade?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found a you tube video and this system does sound good - a few more questions and sorry if these have been posted before on this site!

1. Is the system legal?
2. Does it affect the warranty?
3. Is there a UK stockist?

Any help appreciated

Michael.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found a you tube video and this system does sound good - a few more questions and sorry if these have been posted before on this site!

1. Is the system legal?
2. Does it affect the warranty?
3. Is there a UK stockist?

Any help appreciated

Michael.
Assuming Dominator here.

1. Depends on local legislation, it does not contain a catalytic converter and is loud without DB-killer(must be ordered separately).
2. It should not as BMW now offers Akrapovic exhausts as an option. The only way to get a definitive answer is to contact your dealer.
3. No, ordering directly from Poland is easy and very straight forwards.

Dominator:
https://dominator.pl/en_GB/index

P.J.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would imagine that the Akrapovic exhaust is the one to go for, although it’s not cheap.

I have a Duke 390 and the same issue, the Akrapovic is £500 ($800?) which is a lot of money for an end can on a bike that only cost £4,000

The CAT stays and there’s no need to alter engine tuning.

But it’s still too dear for me.

Also, take care as if you fit a decat pipe and/or aftermarket can, your insurance could be invalid if you don’t tell them about it.

Believe me, if you have an accident and they can find a way to get out of paying, they will.

Most insurance companies are fine with end cans, mine said it was fine, but if there’s a claim of “improved performance” they didn’t want to know and said l would need to “find insurance elsewhere” !!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hello, I put the Akarpovic complete system on my GS310, from day one it's been way to loud. Spent the last 3 days modifying the silencer tube. I added a 8 inch pipe with about 80 3/16 holes , also put a small amount of stainless steel pot scrubber pad,made a world of difference.

·
Registered
84 Posts
The level of noise definitely comes down to the individual. I fitted the Akrapovic stainless steel version to my G310GS, and found it not too much louder than stock so had the DB killer removed - beautiful rumble now, albeit a little loud at higher revs but nothing compared to bigger bikes/harleys.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hello, I put the Akarpovic complete system on my GS310, from day one it's been way to loud. Spent the last 3 days modifying the silencer tube. I added a 8 inch pipe with about 80 3/16 holes , also put a small amount of stainless steel pot scrubber pad,made a world of difference.
Did you use the baffle that came with the system? That puts it in legal limit. You probably just voided any warranty on the exhaust and reduced performance to below stock. Might as well have left the stock exhaust on. I have the carbon fiber model (without baffle installed) and it is not too loud if you are wearing a helmet. If not, definitely put in baffle it comes with.

·
Registered
340 Posts
The Akrapovic with the Catalytic converter sounds like crap. You may as well keep the stock system on and save your money. I got the carbon fiber race version with no cat and it sounded really good with and without the baffle.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dominator Exahust

Hi Michael... PM sent. Jon.

Hi Jon,

As I am new to the forum I cant respond to the PM (only just worked this out - I need 15 more posts first!)

I was wondering why you went back to stock? I am checking with BMW to see if fitting this system would affect warranty, if not I might be interested. Is it easy to fit?

Michael.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If you want loud ride a Ducati
My 1098 was totally standard and I have no idea how they got away with it. Now that could wake the dead.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You’re not going to get a great sound from the exhaust of a 300cc single no matter what you do with it.
It’s the same with the Duke 390. The Akrapovic end can costs over £500 and just makes the thing louder.
My friend has a 1200 Sportster. Now THAT’S got a nice exhaust sound.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You’re not going to get a great sound from the exhaust of a 300cc single no matter what you do with it.
It’s the same with the Duke 390. The Akrapovic end can costs over £500 and just makes the thing louder.
My friend has a 1200 Sportster. Now THAT’S got a nice exhaust sound.
Yep - once I get my skills back I’ll be upgrading - but in the meantime....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Assuming Dominator here.

1. Depends on local legislation, it does not contain a catalytic converter and is loud without DB-killer(must be ordered separately).
2. It should not as BMW now offers Akrapovic exhausts as an option. The only way to get a definitive answer is to contact your dealer.
3. No, ordering directly from Poland is easy and very straight forwards.

Dominator:
https://dominator.pl/en_GB/index

P.J.
I spoke to BMW and they gave me a bit of a vague answer. Basically if something went wrong with the engine and the issue could be linked to th exhaust then this could invalidate the warranty - but they said this is highly unlikely so not to worry about it

·
Registered
750 Posts
I spoke to BMW and they gave me a bit of a vague answer. Basically if something went wrong with the engine and the issue could be linked to th exhaust then this could invalidate the warranty - but they said this is highly unlikely so not to worry about it
Do not worry about the warranty. have some fun. are you going to wait 3 years to do any modifications? you will get a new bike by then.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The Akrapovic with the Catalytic converter sounds like crap. You may as well keep the stock system on and save your money. I got the carbon fiber race version with no cat and it sounded really good with and without the baffle.
so take the CAT out. the SS Akra I got came without CAT, and it sounds rather nice. I am tired of all those loud/aggressive aftermarket exhausts. the funny thing is that they sound much louder and annoying in single-cylinder bikes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts