BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was trying to install a guard frame and ended up removing the coolant hose because it is in the way, causing some of the coolant fluid to drain. I'm just wondering what brand/type of coolant should I be getting to just top it off. This is a brand new bike.

Is it safe to use this to just top it off and mixing with my current one:
https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/engine-ice-high-performance-coolant

·
Registered
82 Posts
I do not know anything about this coolant that you ask about. Perhaps you can contact the manufacturer to see if it is compatible with the BMW blue fluid. If it turns out to be compatible, it might be a good fluid for a full flush 4 or 5 years out. It is interesting to note that changing the coolant is not in the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual but these coolants have corrosion inhibitors and acid neutralizers that only last about 4 or 5 years.

Personally, I would recommend staying with the BMW coolant from the dealer which is available in liter bottles.

An alternative which is rumored to be the identical product that BMW uses is the Pentosin manufactured Pentofrost NF which seems to be slightly more expensive than the BMW branded coolant if your dealer is too far away. The Pentofrost NF (PF-NF-1500ML) is available from several brick and mortar stores in the US in 1.5 liter bottles which may save you a trip to a distant BMW dealer. BMW wins this one I think.

/

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I would also check the owner's manual or ask the dealer. You can always order some from a BMW dealer who sells online and have it delivered. In my case, I found there was too little coolant and I used a little bit from my 2008 Volvo coolant to top it off.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If this helps, from the Service Manual in the cooling section it points to this part# as for coolant to use: 83 19 2 211 191
https://www.bmwpartsonline.co.uk/Anti-Freeze-83192211191
This seem widely use by the brand, even in their cars.
There are no spec of the type of coolant that is however.
Just be aware that some coolants, such as the one you found, "high-performance", sometimes use a different formulation and that mixing with normal coolant is not recommended (they recommended flushing and full-fill only)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had noted in an earlier post that the owner's manual had no
schedule for replacing the coolant fluid. I have found in several places on the web that the BMW blue fluid is supposed to be a "life time" fluid which does not have to be replaced on a scheduled basis. I am not a chemist but I think that this is happy think and that the fluid should be replaced around 4 years.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I called the dealer, and they said to just use distilled water. I told them it is right below the MIN line, and they said it should be fine. What do you guys think about that?
Sure that's fine, I thought you were missing much more than that. Adding distilled water will be just fine and is what makes most sense given the situation. Most of the times, the coolant is already diluted with water, you'll just be altering the ratio by a fraction not even worth worrying about.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Depending on what climate tou live and how much you will be adding now and perhaps later, I would worry a bit about diluting too much. What's the total capacity vs what you are adding? (Total capacity should be listed in the manual).

·
Registered
183 Posts
It seems I remember 50/50 antifreeze/water mix is good to about -50F. I've been in subzero weather and do not recommend riding at that temperature. If you have reason to be concerned your favorite auto parts store has a tester for only a few dollars. Yeah-I know another tool.BMW sells Antifreeze/Coolant for about $25.00 a gallon I have no idea if it is diluted on not.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I live in California, ~70 degrees Fahrenheit(21c). I ended up just filling the coolant reservoir with distilled water to fill from MIN to MAX line since it doesn't get cold here. I turn on the engine, IDLE, for 15 minutes and it ended up reaching 215 Fahrenheit. Am I missing steps here? Or is it suppose to get this hot?

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
I live in California, ~70 degrees Fahrenheit(21c). I ended up just filling the coolant reservoir with distilled water to fill from MIN to MAX line since it doesn't get cold here. I turn on the engine, IDLE, for 15 minutes and it ended up reaching 215 Fahrenheit. Am I missing steps here? Or is it suppose to get this hot?

Sounds about right

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
705 Posts
As this thread pops up when searching for "bmw g310 anti freeze", I'd like to ad the correct (as per BMW workshop manual) coolant/anti freeze parn number.
BMW rekomends the use of "Antifreeze and corrosion inhibitor 83 51 2 445 463" The capacity is 980 ml. You may use whatever comparable imperial or yankee measure you like ;)
My source would be Leebman24 in Germany.

Void​

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.