BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have sent my GS310 off to a new home today.... and have upgraded to the new f850gs (picture below) . already with 6,800km in 14 days on a Thailand Malaysia adventure ride...... The 310gs has been a great reliable little bike, but i just couldn't take the vibrations on longer rides anymore. Wanted to say thanks to everyone on this forum for the advice and help over the past year..... IMO this is one of the best bike forums on the "interweb".... good luck to all and safe rides.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Re, farewell

Good luck and have fun with your new 850GS.
I am also about to move on, but think I will order the 2019 Ducati 950 S SW,
With Enduro and Touring pkgs, spoked wheels, kinda pricey, but what the heck.

I love the 310GS, but it’s just too small and underpowered for me on mountain roads at altitude.

All the best!
R

·
Registered
751 Posts
Good luck and have fun with your new 850GS.
I am also about to move on, but think I will order the 2019 Ducati 950 S SW,
With Enduro and Touring pkgs, spoked wheels, kinda pricey, but what the heck.

I love the 310GS, but it’s just too small and underpowered for me on mountain roads at altitude.

All the best!
R
I live in Himalayas, and 310cc is good enough to take me wherever I want to go. Same with my CRF 250; it has so much mojo. I have Tiger 800 and would never taken it up the high mountains. it is so heavy and clumsy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Unfortunately the price difference is Plus 5,000-6,000 more. Can get (2) G310GS for that price. I did notice that one of them has a lower seat height than the 310. What gives BMW?

While it is nice, I personally do not want to deal with the added weight, especially if it tips over.

Reactions: hogrider

·
Registered
24 Posts
Unfortunately the price difference is Plus 5,000-6,000 more. Can get (2) G310GS for that price. I did notice that one of them has a lower seat height than the 310. What gives BMW?

While it is nice, I personally do not want to deal with the added weight, especially if it tips over.
Exactly the reason that I haven't been attracted to adventure bikes before. Till the g310gs they all seem to be built in monstrous proportions. The thought of trying to pick up a BMW 1200GS after a fall would be a nightmare for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have taken my G310 GS up and over the Continental Divide here in the USA, on back mountain dirt roads, and highways. With it fully loaded with full camping gear, 5 days worth of food and everything needed to stay in teh middle of nowhere. I have not had any issue of being under powered and where I was on the CD was around 12,000 feet in elevation. The little Beemer never complained nor skipped a beat and I dropped it twice, no damage to the bike except a few scratches. I am 63 years old and had no problem lifting the bike back up as I almost always travel alone. There is NO WAY I could lift a fully loaded 850 or larger bike as they are a lot more top heavy and way more expensive to fix if I damaged it. The g310 gs has taken me across the entire USA and back without an issue.

Good luck with your new bike and hope it provides you with what you are looking for.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On the larger bikes just take some rope and pulleys so you can winch up bike, or a portable winch, I did see some kind of device to help lift bike, I think they call it a bike jack.

Always make sure the bike tips towards the UPHILL side. If it tips DOWNHILL you are in trouble. Set it on fire and walk away (just kidding)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts