BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. During my first off-road ride in surroundings of Lima, Perú, I stopped to take a rest and while parking, the bike fell (my absolute fault). Of course my speed was 0 (zero) and I dropped it into a place with sand, so I didn't worry at the beginning. But when I pick it up, I saw that the clutch lever was broken, as you can see in the last picture. Is this normal? Has anyone suffered this too? It seems to me it broke too easy, and I'm really surprised. Do you think it's a quality issue or was I really unlucky?

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
It seem to have broken at the indentation that is there to break in order to protect the rest of the lever.So there is enough to get you home.

I would recommend getting some Chinese ajustable levers off eBay (some models have pivots to prevent later breaks for off-roaders)

These will correct one of the major cost-cutting annoyances BMW implemented and 2 levers will be probably less expensive than one from BMW.

(Do a search on the forum for ajustable levers....lots of discussions last summer on the subject)

RobertB

·
Registered
86 Posts
If an unprotected motorcycle falls over, usually something will break or at least be damaged - levers, panels, panniers but hopefully nothing fluid-filled. Thankfully the engineers have come up with those fuse-like indents so the lever may snap, but the bike is still rideable.

Years ago I dropped my GSX-R750 and snapped the lever like that. I filed the end of the lever smooth and drilled a hole through near the end, tapped a thread and inserted a rounded Allen head bolt so my little finger was secure. I preferred it to the original and it was shorter than the bar end weight so was unlikely to ever hit the ground again.

Lots of riders fit Barkbusters as Tripod suggests, but also crash bars and bash plates and the like because if you are riding on dirt regularly there is a high chance of the bike hitting the ground whether moving or stationary.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good stories - answers here. :grin2:

My G310GS has fallen to the other side. (Son 10 years old wanted to move the motorcycle :surprise: )
I still have to check my Chinese spare parts that I have bought earlier for mij G310R.
Too much rain today, but can get to you back if these lovely Rhombus levers fit.

(I have ordered Chinese levers for the G310R before and they did not fit)

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone. During my first off-road ride in surroundings of Lima, Perú, I stopped to take a rest and while parking, the bike fell (my absolute fault). Of course my speed was 0 (zero) and I dropped it into a place with sand, so I didn't worry at the beginning. But when I pick it up, I saw that the clutch lever was broken, as you can see in the last picture. Is this normal? Has anyone suffered this too? It seems to me it broke too easy, and I'm really surprised. Do you think it's a quality issue or was I really unlucky?
Hi
Unlucky
Barkbusters with bar end weight give good protection
Dropped my bike x3 no damage
Ian Maxwell

·
Registered
61 Posts
Beautiful levers. Where did you buy them?
Ebay, they are called Rhombus.

https://www.ebay.nl/itm/FXCNC-3D-Rhombus-Clutch-Brake-Levers-For-BMW-G310R-2017-2018-Adjustable-Hollow/253643690536?hash=item3b0e579228:m:muYh4ij5rjHPhV-Hc9aDwkg:rk:1:pf:0

Did you have any problem with the clutch interlock switch not functioning after installation?
It will only start in "N"eutral. Have to check the switch to glue something somewhere.
But it works for me by only starting at neutral.
+500 kilometers and still going strong. :laugh:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts