BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Frozen first part of the day getting to the Mississippi river - even in my spacesuit... But totally different vibe after lunch, once I got there. And Sunday was amazing riding through hills, dirt and gravel roads. Not a soul in sight.

Year of ownership observations:
• Heading back home on highway - yeah I'm done with highways on this bike. At least for long stretches. Was getting buffeted left and right from strong winds. Not enjoyable.
• Kickstand can go straight to hell. I cannot stand it, as I think most of you would agree.
• Handles gravel and dirt just fine... But I hit a few stretches of mud that made my butt pucker up a bit. :D
• Brakes are - checks notes - still very spongy.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Sky Vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Water Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's exactly why i hate it... it's too tall and a nightmare for me to raise. Especially on uneven surfaces. I'm not super tall, so I can't balance too well when raising it.

Why do you hate the kickstand? I hate it too because it's just a few mm too long/hard to deploy. Makes no sense they didn't test it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Me too, it's stupid and I hate it. I find it dangerous and hard to use. Literally, if it was 1cm shorter it would have been OK.

Aghh...and I can't find anything aftermarket, either....

·
Registered
2019 BMW G310 GS
78 Posts
Haha... wow... Nice catch. I haven't made up my mind yet... I'm just testing the market see if there's a want for it right now. But glad to see I'm not the only one that's cruisin through craigslist all the time :D
Haha... wow... Nice catch. I haven't made up my mind yet... I'm just testing the market see if there's a want for it right now. But glad to see I'm not the only one that's cruisin through craigslist all the time :D
Yup I’m one of those, checking daily “Craigs list “, “Offer up” …., that is how someone ends up with too many bikes and not enough places to store them and not enough time to ride them.
By the way I have similar experience with the kick stand, I’m talking to mechanic to modify it, but I’m holding on because I have read somewhere that “T-Rex” are supposed to be developing an aftermarket shorter version for the 310gs. I’m also avoiding Highway riding with this bike for similar reasons. But in my case I’m keeping the G310gs because it small enough to be put on the back of my pick up truck and truck it to a good riding area. For a longer rides on a motorcycle that has a off road capability I have a Honda Africa Twin.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a kickass Triumph Street Cup and I kind of want to get back to modifying it. I find that having two bikes splits my focus. Also, I consider the GS my "flex" bike... meaning if I ever want to try out, let's say a cruiser or something, I can sell it and get a cruiser... or sport bike... or whatever.

Yup I’m one of those, checking daily “Craigs list “, “Offer up” …., that is how someone ends up with too many bikes and not enough places to store them and not enough time to ride them.
By the way I have similar experience with the kick stand, I’m talking to mechanic to modify it, but I’m holding on because I have read somewhere that “T-Rex” are supposed to be developing an aftermarket shorter version for the 310gs. I’m also avoiding Highway riding with this bike for similar reasons. But in my case I’m keeping the G310gs because it small enough to be put on the back of my pick up truck and truck it to a good riding area. For a longer rides on a motorcycle that has a off road capability I have a Honda Africa Twin.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Bra, you need three bikes minimum. Trust me I know. One dirty, one streeter and something silly for Sundays (I have Vstar 1100) A pain I know but the do it all unit is unobtainable at moment. I prefer to be able to be spontaneous and be able hop on anytime n go Irrespective of state of function of units.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Believe me... I'd love to :D -- Little thing like not having money gets in the way.

Bra, you need three bikes minimum. Trust me I know. One dirty, one streeter and something silly for Sundays (I have Vstar 1100) A pain I know but the do it all unit is unobtainable at moment. I prefer to be able to be spontaneous and be able hop on anytime n go Irrespective of state of function of units.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's exactly why i hate it... it's too tall and a nightmare for me to raise. Especially on uneven surfaces. I'm not super tall, so I can't balance too well when raising it.
Hi, I took my stand to a local welder that cut, Welded, and painted it for $30.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts