BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moving from my CBR250 to the G310R, I made 2 discovery's :

A - My magnetic tank bag doesn't work anymore.

B- My ViaTerra Claw Mini interferes with the Canadian spec "Dumbo Ears" rear flashers. (check out ViaTerra here : viaterragear.com/product-category/luggage/tailbags/ )

Being the cheapskate that I am, I bought LED flashers on EBAY (item number 252981487754) buying the Type 2 so the flasher would be lower and further back to have more space for my bag.
By the way, the flashers mounting holes don't perfectly align to the mounting nuts, but drilling ABS is easy!.

Anyway, Natürlich, the flashers are now "Hyperflashing". I start looking for the Flasher relay so I can replace it for a LED compatible one. (I hate the idea of "Ballast resistors")
Can't find a flasher relay on the bike, or in the service manual !

I then recheck the installation manual for the BMW OEM LED flashers, and they finish the procedure by calling for a "software update" using "ISTA/P" (I imagine that is the BMW drag software)

So, I'm beginning to think the flasher relay function is embedded in the bike's electronics, somewhere (My bet is in the Dashboard).

If I'm right, it's either ballasts or a trip to the Stealership ! (remember : I'm a cheapskate)

·
Registered
132 Posts
or getting turn signals with built in resistors! I picked up knock off BMW LED stubby turn signals with the off set rears and they came with built in resistors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Or ... Inertia LED RY10W turn signal bulbs work in the stock signals without hyper flashing. Brighter too.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Or ... Inertia LED RY10W turn signal bulbs work in the stock signals without hyper flashing. Brighter too.
Hey, thanks for this information! That’s what forums are all about! Great article on these by Web Bike World - link here:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/intertialed-can-bus-led-lights-review/

I’m impressed after reading the article & a bunch of customer reviews on Amazon. They’re not cheap at $50 per pair but you get what you pay for. Lifetime warranty. Free shipping worldwide from their website, www.inertialed.com (normally $59.95/pair, currently $50; also $50 on Amazon; I chose to order direct in case I ever need a warranty claim). Ordered 2 sets so I can replace all 4 turn signals.

Will toss the OEM turn signal bulbs in a bag in the topcase as emergency spares.

I will follow through with a review once I receive & install these.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
@Aiki-Jedi

Thanks for the info on the InertiaLED RY10W.

I think I am still mentally tinkering with the idea of getting flasher relay and whatever else I need to get full on LED turn signals to minimize power consumption, but this is good to have as a backup plan when all else fails.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Here’s a quick video review of the Inertia LED RY10W turn signal bulbs. Plug & play, no resistors or wiring involved. These draw 700mA vs 830mA for the OEM incandescent bulbs. They have a lifetime warranty. I love ‘em! 👍

https://youtu.be/p14SLIyOezQ

·
Registered
29 Posts
@bbbelanger
Did you ever find out where the flasher relay was located?
I would rather put in a LED flasher relay than installing resistors as well...
If you have any info, can you update us?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
As far as I can tell, there is no flasher relay on our bikes. It must be in the dash or the ECU, with the dash being most probable.

Most people have had luck simply installing the LED flasher and the system adapted to them. Some people talk about needing to turn the ignition on to eliminate hyper flashing.

Others have reported on LED bulb replacements, that do not need the resistors.

In my case, when I installed my rear rack, I fabricated new flasher mounts that pushed the rear flasher out of the way of my Via Terra Claw Tailbag. (Made in the same country that the bike!)
Since the flasher interfering with the bag was my reason for putting shorter LED flashers, I just let that be and reused my OEM flashers.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
I remember somewhere someone said that it's a software change that enables the BMW bikes to use LED indicators if the hyperflash is present.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts