BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just added a flip up screen extension to my Wunderlich touring windshield. It has taken almost all of the wind noise around my helmet away. I am very pleased with it.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire
Land vehicle Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel
Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tire

Automotive tire Light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

Land vehicle Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Wheel

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just added the Puig 6007 extension to my Puig 8920W Sport Windshield. It does not go up as high, but it does create an "air curtain" that directs more air upward and seemed to reduce turbulence at the helmet. I chose the bolt on model. Bought a special drill bit for the plastic. It has two adjustable supports which I liked more than having one in the center.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Puig does not advertise this as a "fit" for the Sport Shield or G310R. I reduced the distance between the mounting feet by 10mm when drilling and it fit perfectly. The clip on version would have allowed the extension to be higher, but the benefit in my opinion is provided by the "slot" between the two surfaces that creates an air curtain, and not by simply making the shield taller. I did not want to be looking thru the shield or extension. The Sport Shield is shorter than the Touring Shield to begin with. The top of the extension is 17" above the lowest part of the rider seat. Top of my helmet is 36 inches. My crude air flow test (using leaf blower) showed air curtain flow directed to 37 inches above lowest part of seat. (see limp strings with no air and deflected strings above on pole.) Does not eliminate wind on helmet--it just reduces airflow and the turbulence a bit. No buffeting. The shield is very narrow so benefit is limited to when head is in center of shield (right vs left) Very happy with result. Very comfortable even when riding in very cold temps----before in cold, the air was impacting my chin and neck with too much speed so that even with a scrarf covering, by face was cold--this set reduced the air enough to allow me to keep my chin and neck comfortable.

Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset Wheel Bicycle handlebar

Below is a front view pic of the setup on a different bike.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

1 - 5 of 5 Posts