BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking, as the 310GS is new and has low miles <2,000. If I want to change the front fork spring with Rally-Raid or Andreanni, Why should I have to go to the expense of removing the forks. The fork oil is not dirty, the springs just pull out.

I should be just be able to remove springs, extract fork oil with an extractor, then replace springs with new fork oil. I have watched the videos, and once the forks are removed, they just invert to remove oil. Unless I am missing something, it should be possible to replace the springs without having to go to the expense of removing the forks.

Comments and advise?

·
Registered
99 Posts
In theory you could remove the fork spring from the right leg without losing the oil, but the OEM oil is too thin and poor quality, and if you are fitting the Rally Raid fork kit then the recommended new oil is a thicker grade anyway.
The left fork leg does not have to be touched, it has no damping, the oil that is in there is only for an air gap & lubrication.

FORK KIT FITTING INSTRUCTIONS

·
Registered
163 Posts
the OEM oil is too thin and poor quality, and if you are fitting the Rally Raid fork kit then the recommended new oil is a thicker grade anyway.
The left fork leg does not have to be touched, it has no damping
how is that possible? you mean that the left fork leg has no spring/oil?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In theory you could remove the fork spring from the right leg without losing the oil, but the OEM oil is too thin and poor quality, and if you are fitting the Rally Raid fork kit then the recommended new oil is a thicker grade anyway.
The left fork leg does not have to be touched, it has no damping, the oil that is in there is only for an air gap & lubrication.

FORK KIT FITTING INSTRUCTIONS
The fork oil would be removed by an extractor (Vacuum tube) and then the better oil would be put in.

·
Registered
324 Posts
He said no damping - not no spring. Different functions.

The issue is that you need to have the fork leg vertical to put the right amount of oil back in. The issue is that the replacement spring may take up more volume than the OEM spring and will need less oil to fill the tube to the proper level.

Some OEMs specify a quantity of oil rather than a level, but that assumes a spring of the same volume.

That being said... If you're just putzing around on the bike and not being serious, you're unlikely to tell the difference.

·
Registered
99 Posts

Yes, the left leg has an open cartridge that contains a lighter, and shorter compression spring than the right leg, plus a short top-out spring, no damping, this is quite common on most smaller bikes to save cost

·
Registered
99 Posts
The fork oil would be removed by an extractor (Vacuum tube) and then the better oil would be put in.

It would be very difficult to remove all the old oil, and dirt residue that collects at the bottom, using a vacuum tube. It really is a simple job to remove the leg and invert it so all the dirty oil is removed properly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts