BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my GS in for the brake recall after waiting a long time for the dealer to order the parts, should have had parts in stock for a recall!! While waiting for the brake calipers I discovered a leaking fork seal, assuming that it was covered by warranty ( it's not) I asked the dealer to fix the leaking fork while the bike was in for the recall. Of course this involved a further wait for fork seals. Finally everything was on hand and the work was done and everything looked fine but I was shocked to receive a $500can bill for replacement of both seals one of which did not require replacement. Needless to say I was not happy with this. After several discussions involving the service manager and BMW Canada the entire $500 was refunded so all is well finally. BTW the listed price for the seals was $75 each, welcome to the world of BMW.

·
Super Moderator
1,173 Posts
Took my GS in for the brake recall after waiting a long time for the dealer to order the parts, should have had parts in stock for a recall!! While waiting for the brake calipers I discovered a leaking fork seal, assuming that it was covered by warranty ( it's not) I asked the dealer to fix the leaking fork while the bike was in for the recall. Of course this involved a further wait for fork seals. Finally everything was on hand and the work was done and everything looked fine but I was shocked to receive a $500can bill for replacement of both seals one of which did not require replacement. Needless to say I was not happy with this. After several discussions involving the service manager and BMW Canada the entire $500 was refunded so all is well finally. BTW the listed price for the seals was $75 each, welcome to the world of BMW.
They should have informed you of the costs beforehand! Good thing they refunded the complete amount.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Fork seals should always be replaced as a pair. Invoice was bloody steep though !!!
I usually buy a pair but only change the leaking one. But before I change a fork seal, I try to clean between the seal and tube. This way I have avoided changing many completely fine fork seals, that seemed to be broken because of a small piece of dirt between the seal and the tube. In my travel tool kit I always carry a Seal Mate. You can off course make your own pirate Seal Mate look-a-like from suitable plastics, or use a feeler gauge. But as I got the real thing as a present, I carry it with me on the bike. I also carry a Chinese copy of the Rhino MX Seal Doctor, as pictured below.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Of course you can buy them from a stealer for $75, it's a free world. You can also buy them from any authorized BMW spare parts suplier, like I do. Then you pay around €30 each. Here is one source Standrohr - BMW K02 (G 310 GS) G 310 GS (0G02, 0G12) (0G02) - BMW Ersatzteile - leebmann24.de
What you need is item No 8.
There is another option - just bought a set of fork oil seals and fork dust seals for $13 CAD including shipping from Aliexpress. Do not need them now, but if I do, they will be on hand...🤗

·
Registered
2018 G310R
2 Posts
Due to a time constraint, I bought 2018 G310R fork seals from local BMW dealer for ~$100. They call them set of fork gaskets. The part number is 31428566100.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts