BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
604 Posts
as long as you can put it in neutral it is tight enough. you just don't want it too tight or else your clutch will be slipping. taking to a dealer to adjust? if you own a bike, you need to learn basic things.
There are people born with their thumbs in the middle of their hands. Should we issue a general ban on owning a motorcycle if the owner is not having specific skills? Who should we appoint to judge the level of skills needed to be allowed to own a motorcycle?

·
Registered
46 Posts
The OP mentions "not feeling" right. Adjusting to the manual's spec, and as shown in the video does not necessarily relate to the poster's dilemma. The clutch on my G310R does feel "wierd" in that I do not get a strong tactile indication when it begins to engage and when it is fully engaged. I followed the factory procedure (as well illustrated in the video) and then like oldtimer, I "loosened" it with more free play so that the clutch "engages" closer to the handle grips. The factory "free play" of 2mm is soo small, and full engagement so close to handle all the way out that I feared the clutch might be slipping under heavy load. I have large hands, so when stopped, I pull the handle all the way back, and I wanted the clutch to engage sooner. My "free play" is between 3mm and 4mm.

In addition, my Total Control program instructors taught us to "cover" the clutch---have our hand open over the clutch for safety--especially when riding at slow speeds so as to use the "friction zone" for control when needed, and I was worried that with only 2mm free play that i might be inadvertently slipping the clutch.

Free play has quite a range and within that range is a matter of personal preference. As mentioned, the clutch must disengage when the handle is pulled, and not slip when not pulled.

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
604 Posts
I never measure the free play. I adjust my clutch cable to fit my needs for when I want the clutch to engage and I make sure there is some play in the cable. Works for me, but YMMV.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Appreciate everyone’s response. I actually got it perfectly adjusted to my liking. I eventually stopped trying to mess with the manual specs and just what I liked most. Done that with all my precious bikes but with it being a BMW, wasn’t sure if I’d have that ability. Got it taken care of and I’m super happy with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts