BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is not, in any way an “issue” or “problem”, but I did not know where else to put it...

Anyone else wish the fuel cap hinged to the front of the bike and not the back?

My gripe is that I frequently fill my bikes from gas cans once back in my garage, and when standing on the “side stand side” of the bike, it requires a bit of finess to refuel.

First world problems, as they say...:smile2:

Reactions: Defender

·
Registered
324 Posts
Anyone else wish the fuel cap hinged to the front of the bike and not the back?
I didn't take it apart that far, but you MAY be able to just turn it around. It's circular and (I believe) symmetrical.

Let us know.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If you can and do rotate the fuel cap does it void the warranty?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Ok so here's the deal. You can turn the cap 180 degrees. It would not void the warranty. But here's the spoiler: There are 2 areas where the fuel cap is attached to the inner lining of the tank. If you turn it, you will have nowhere to attach those 2 connections. Please see pic. Also be aware that 3 of the screws are long and 3 are short...

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yeah - that would be a show stopper. Never looked into the tank from that angle - always behind the lid when it was open.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Tank bag flips forward, lid opens to rear and with keys left in, stays open. Keys do not fall on ground or otherwise get lost. Close lid, turn key with right hand and push with left fingers until it locks in place. Key into ignition, gloves on, helmet closed, mount bike, retract sidestand, start engine, reset trip one and ride away.

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the metal rod which completely blocks where a fuel nozzle should go. The only way I'm able to fill this bike is by manually pulling back the rubber on the fuel pump nozzle itself, pressing the button, and directing the flow into the tank.

Or maybe I'm missing something lol?

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned the metal rod which completely blocks where a fuel nozzle should go. The only way I'm able to fill this bike is by manually pulling back the rubber on the fuel pump nozzle itself, pressing the button, and directing the flow into the tank.

It's been mentioned in one of the other threads, doesn't seem to be a problem in 98% of the world, it's only a problem in places that use the fume recovery cover, you'll need to use both hands or get yourself a card device that can keep the cover out of the way. Problem is if that bar is not there then the tank would not fill up completely (i.e. fuel nozzle should not go beyond the bar)

·
Registered
35 Posts
It's been mentioned in one of the other threads, doesn't seem to be a problem in 98% of the world, it's only a problem in places that use the fume recovery cover, you'll need to use both hands or get yourself a card device that can keep the cover out of the way. Problem is if that bar is not there then the tank would not fill up completely (i.e. fuel nozzle should not go beyond the bar)
Damnit California! I'm always spilling fuel on the tank because of this.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I just got one of these plastic cards to keep the nozzle open. Clever device to end an annoyance.

·
Registered
41 Posts

I totally HATE that metal rod. You cannot get the nozzle all the way in the tank and a few times with really sticky fuel handles, the gas has rushed out and rebounded out and over my gas tank. I have to be very very careful when filling the tank.

·
Registered
155 Posts
It keeps the nozzle from tearing up the tank liner. Here on this coast we use rubbers for something other than gas nozzles. Practice safe filling!

·
Registered
469 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
I got a metal "rubber holder" and it has taken the HASSLE out of re-fueling. I think they still have some at Aerostitch.

·
Registered
469 Posts
B, only thing bugs me is to keep cap open have to fix my glove to cap to stop it closing while filling her up.
That shouldn't happen.
Are you on a hill when refuelling?:grin2:
Mine stays open without issue when filling up.
Btw,
Fuel here has jumped up to $1.36 a litre for regular and $ 1.49 for premium grade a litre.:surprise:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts