1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
56 Posts
if someone is interested, I highly recommend fuel cleaner. on top of that, not using fuel with ethanol mixed. ethanol is very bad for the engine.

I found two types of fuel cleaners. one is funnel and second you put inside the tank. this one actually fits to baby gs:

https://guglatech.it/en/products/M24006-ARM

the second one is quite amazing. you can watch the video:

https://www.bikenbiker.com/products/fuel-filter-and-cleaner-funnel-flo-tool
impressive video, but can't imagine lugging that around and asking the attendant to fill my tank via the filter...

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
impressive video, but can't imagine lugging that around and asking the attendant to fill my tank via the filter...
in the first option, the filter is installed inside the tank.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Nothing wrong with ethanol as a fuel in a modern engine. It has slightly less power than petrol, but you shouldn't notice the difference. Of course if water has been absorbed by the ethanol that isn't great, but that's hardly the fault of the fuel itself.

Unless you live in a third world country where the fuel is rotten or your service station has dirty tanks you don't need a fancy fuel filter. A small in-line one is fine.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
regarding fuel filter, it has been tested that even in the west there are impurities in the gasoline. one is 'coffee filter test' where you attach the paper coffee filter to the end of the bottle while pouring the fuel in, and apparently there are black residues on the filter. maybe this is one of the main culprit of fuel injectors getting clogged.

i am afraid that there are many wrong things about ethanol. it is wise not to use it if one has the choice. but as in diet, one has to make up one's mind what is really healthy... with ethanol situation it is similar when vegetable oil (polyunsaturated fat) was introduced in the name of reducing cholesterol. all the propaganda made naive folk believe that it is healthy, even though it is one of the most toxic substances you can put into your body. ethanol thing is just conspiracy created by some manipulative companies to make more money. why would one voluntarily want to put that crap into the tank is beyond me...: but is your bike.

"The peak flame temperature of ethanol is 1,920 °C (3,488 °F), while the the peak temperature of gasoline is 1,026 °C (1878.8 °F). Ethanol burn hotter meaning car engines run hotter.

One of the bad things that happens when ethanol used as a fuel is that car mileage will actually decrease. The New York Times stated that E10 gasoline, which is the gas used in America, actually provides 2-3 miles per gallon less than gasoline. E85 is a flex-fuel with 85% ethanol loses 7-8 miles per gallon.

Compounding the problem, the use of ethanol causes gummed-up fuel systems, damaged tanks and phase separation caused by stray moisture infiltrating fuel systems. Automakers have filed a lawsuit against the EPA's decision to make E15 (gasoline with 15 percent alcohol) legal for all cars after 2007. They argue that, among other problems, the blend could damage the engine."

·
Registered
129 Posts
Nothing wrong with ethanol as a fuel in a modern engine. It has slightly less power than petrol, but you shouldn't notice the difference. Of course if water has been absorbed by the ethanol that isn't great, but that's hardly the fault of the fuel itself.

Unless you live in a third world country where the fuel is rotten or your service station has dirty tanks you don't need a fancy fuel filter. A small in-line one is fine.
by volume yes, you make more power on ethanol than gasoline. it just takes more of it because ethanol generates oxygen. it was the original reason for putting it in gas, it would make older carburetor engines cleaner.

one of the car magazines (can't remember which) tested a chevy silverado pickup on straight gas and E85 and it was 2 tenths of a second faster through the 1/4 mile on E85 and only lost 2mpg on the E85

·
Registered
155 Posts
I do not like ethanol, but does anybody from up north ever use HEET? It is alcohol to dry moisture in gasoline to prevent frozen fuel lines. Fuel filters for anything produced since the old glass bowl filter will remove debris from fuel.

Ethanol producers know their product is bad and do not use it to produce ethanol. A television show put on by the producers said it took 1 gallon of petroleum to produce 1.25 gallons of ethanol. Gasoline is not efficient enough to run a tractor or truck-ever notice they all run on Diesel? If gasoline was used, the net would probably be negative. The producers have a lot of money to pay toward campaign contributions of lawmakers so the corn belt folk will be placated.

Off my soap box for now

·
Registered
129 Posts
I do not like ethanol, but does anybody from up north ever use HEET? It is alcohol to dry moisture in gasoline to prevent frozen fuel lines. Fuel filters for anything produced since the old glass bowl filter will remove debris from fuel.

Ethanol producers know their product is bad and do not use it to produce ethanol. A television show put on by the producers said it took 1 gallon of petroleum to produce 1.25 gallons of ethanol. Gasoline is not efficient enough to run a tractor or truck-ever notice they all run on Diesel? If gasoline was used, the net would probably be negative. The producers have a lot of money to pay toward campaign contributions of lawmakers so the corn belt folk will be placated.

Off my soap box for now
Ethanol producers don't use ethanol to produce ethanol?????? duh! they use corn, water, and yeast to produce ethanol.
it takes 0 gallons of petroleum to produce ethanol. the first thing man learned to do when he first started settling down from his nomadic ways to settlements is how to turn grains into ethanol..
moonshine stills are run on wood fire.

·
Registered
222 Posts
+1
There is already a factory-installed inline filter on most bikes today (and the 310 are no exceptions to that), so I'm not worried at all. I don't see the need for anything additional.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
+1
There is already a factory-installed inline filter on most bikes today (and the 310 are no exceptions to that), so I'm not worried at all. I don't see the need for anything additional.
There is a filter at the bottom of the tank, but that one can clogged, it becomes a problem. I am not sure what 'third world countries' are anymore, since the economy in Asia is booming. I think the terms refers more to the human rights issue.

But I do not trust gasoline in India. In Thailand it is probably ok. I will made the test with the funnel filter, and see if there is any crap at the bottom remaining. Anyway, these filters are brilliant in my opinion. All those big tracks delivering petrol, than mixing it with ethanol, then it is often stored for a long time - you basically cannot be fully confident that what you get is perfectly pure.

·
Registered
157 Posts
None of the filters mentioned removing Ethanol, only water and dirt so you are still stuck with the ethanol.

I only use Premium fuel 93 octane. I suppose if I was in the middle of nowhere, it would make sense.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
None of the filters mentioned removing Ethanol, only water and dirt so you are still stuck with the ethanol.

I only use Premium fuel 93 octane. I suppose if I was in the middle of nowhere, it would make sense.
No, they cannot remove ethanol. I try as much as I can to get 100% gasoline, but it is not always possible. I am not sure if 'Premium' means anything. These are just marketing strategies. I prefer to get petrol without additives. I add some Techron fuel cleaner myself. Regarding Octane number in the fuel, the thing to keep in mind is the higher Octane actually equals less power. Higher octane is used to prevent knocking/pinging in the engine with higher compression. I did not noticed any knocking with gs while using regular petrol.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1
when the factory filter is blocked, what are you going to do? the factory filter is not very sophisticated, some cotton at the bottom of the tank.

·
Super Moderator
954 Posts
when the factory filter is blocked, what are you going to do? the factory filter is not very sophisticated, some cotton at the bottom of the tank.

Replace it. If you're in a pinch you could take it out and hope you don't have too much muck in your fuel until a new filter arrives.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Replace it. If you're in a pinch you could take it out and hope you don't have too much muck in your fuel until a new filter arrives.

first, getting to the fuel filter at the bottom of the tank is a pain. I checked it recently when servicing the Versys. there is round metal assembly at the bottom, which has to be unscrewed. and from I hear, in some bikes you cannot replace that filter, but need to replace the whole assembly. Also, that fuel filter at the bottom will not stop the water if one is unlucky to get it in the fuel.

I am not saying that using fuel filter is a must, as some people are doing just fine without it. But I see it as an extra precaution. I have already the funnel filter which is very neat and small to carry. But I also ordered the one that enters the tank neck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Regarding Octane number in the fuel, the thing to keep in mind is the higher Octane actually equals less power. Higher octane is used to prevent knocking/pinging in the engine with higher compression.
A higher octane number refers to its knock resistance, true.
It has NOTHING to do with power in the way you put it.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
A higher octane number refers to its knock resistance, true.
It has NOTHING to do with power in the way you put it.
yes, but looking at it from another perspective, by putting too high octane fuel in the engine that does not need it, you actually lose power. the manual speaks of 91 octane fuel, which is the lowest you can get (at least in most countries). basically, this bike can ride on anything. i did not noticed any knocking with basic fuel.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My filter will likely never blocks. BMW schedules the maintenance for the fuel filter at every 40,000km so I believe it must be reliable enough and more than a stack of cotton at the bottom of the tank, no ? If I look at the diagram, it looks like a perfectly normal inline fuel filter. If it blocks you can change it for about $20. Of course if you see chunks when you pour out the fuel from your local station, I agree it is advisable to filter it out at this stage! It just does not apply to my situation.

Attachments

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My filter will likely never blocks. BMW schedules the maintenance for the fuel filter at every 40,000km so I believe it must be reliable enough and more than a stack of cotton at the bottom of the tank, no ? If I look at the diagram, it looks like a perfectly normal inline fuel filter. If it blocks you can change it for about $20. Of course if you see chunks when you pour out the fuel from your local station, I agree it is advisable to filter it out at this stage! It just does not apply to my situation.
Normally the filter is of course not a cotton, but some kind of mesh. Well, maybe bmw has a more clever design, so it is easier to change the filter. I am putting the Gulatech filter just for the peace of mind. Here, in India, it is common that fuel injectors get blocked in motorcycles. Not in the cars, as cars have a larger system. Adding fuel injectors cleaner every 5000 km is a good idea too. I use personally Techron.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts