BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
WillyR50S’s advice may be sound, but I have run my F800GS’s tank dry twice unintentionally (before BMW recalled the faulty fuel-level sensor in early model F800GSs), twice intentionally (to test the bike’s range with the replacement sensor, with a gas can strapped to the rack), and once stupidly (because I’m stupid) alone out in the middle of nowhere in northern Nevada. And I’ve ridden in to a gas station on fumes more times than I can remember. But that F800GS’s fuel pump has now pumped >88K miles of gas through itself without missing a beat. Maybe I just got lucky, but it seems that running the tank dry doesn’t necessarily do any damage to the fueling system.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I always fill my gas tank in time because most of the time I am riding, I don’t know when the next fuel pump will come.
On most motorways it is not a problem to get fuel but once you are riding backroads or in the mountains ....... it’s a different story.
I know the maximum limit is more and less 300 km so every 200 - 250 km I refuel and feel happy.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Went for a long ride the other day and you quickly realise that even though its a great economical bike, 11L can run out quickly.... especially after 300km where naturally i started to see what the bike can do getting up to motorway speed going past 6000rpm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
hi guys,

I have done 3000++ kms in my bike filled 9x times averaging 10-11 liters every fill average 33-35kms achieved in Singapore driving 60% highways and normal roads average speed 48-55kms. my top speed is 153 km/hr tested few times. This is similar to MT-03 my old 2nd bike and X-max 300 3rd scooter which is more efficient can get 43kmpl in same driving pattern as per my driving route to work-home.
GS 310 fuel warning lits up at 2 bar fuel left. And range is varying and not accurate I got fed up. I just ride 300++ kms once filled my tank 10-11 liters I did this several times and reset trip 1 only leaving trip 2 to continue for 1000kms about 3-4times filling the tank then it shows range accuracy gets better and I did ride until 0 kms and further 55kms until the E bar flashes then everything became normal and the gauge works better warning come up around 1 bar and flashes E when almost empty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I ride north of Sydney deep into the forest and there is no fuel available. So added additional 3.7l (1 Gal). Recently did this loop and got back with the low fuel light on. keep in mind this dirt roads, high revs and low speed riding. So not the most economical way to ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
291 Posts
I can’t help but feel a little disappointed with the fuel consumption of my GS so far.
As a comparison between my V-Strom650, a heavier bike with panniers, my XMAX which is also a little heavier but with almost identical engine size and power, and the G310.... the VStrom regularly gave me 25 to 27 km/l, the XMAX 38 to40km/l, but as far as I can tell, I’m getting about 33km/l from the GS.
This is on EXACTLY the same
I’m roads (a mixture of twisty mountain roads with the occasional short straight) and hardly ever at more than 6000rpm!
I might add that the XMAX is considerably quieter and faster and smoother! So for now I’m a little disappointed with the ‘superior’ German engineering experience. It’s just as well it looks so good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
947 Posts
I’m happy with the fuel consumption of my R.
Depending on how (fast) I drive, its 31 -35 km / liter.
Every time I fill up, I write down the amount of km’s and liters and can calculate the average fuel consumption.
I usually fill up before the orange light goes on and when I see it lighten up, I try to get fuel as soon as possible.
I had to push my R65 with full fairing, panniers and luggage some time ago and no ...... not again 😜😜😜😜

·
Registered
291 Posts
My fuel symbol comes on when my range is down to about 85km which, with my consumption pretty constant at 33 to 34km/l means I have about 2.5L left in the tank.
This is confirmed by the fact that I can only refill with about 8.5 liters, meaning that for me, 0 on the range meter means your running on fumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
Has anyone got info on how the range display on the remaining fuel is calculated?
The manual says it has a usable fuel capacity of 11 litres (approx) and a reserve of 1 litre (approx), it also says that the range indication comes up when the is down to the reserve level. So I was a bit surprised when the range indicator came on the first time, displaying about 80 km to go (ie way more than 1 litre left) - when I filled, I got 7.4 litres in, meaning another 3.6 litres or so left in the tank. I've filled 3 times now and each time, same thing, range comes on with about 80 km to go.

Doing some calculations myself based on the fuel consumption and the amount I put in, it would suggest that the displayed range is being calculated for the remaining fuel not including an approx 1 litre in reserve - giving a bit of safety margin. Does that make sense?

Anyone else got thoughts on this? What is the furthest anyone has done on a tank?

And while talking about refuelling - something else, when you stop for petrol, open the fuel filler cap, hinge it up backwards so you can put the nozzle in - it won't stay up out of the way, just drops back down to cover the filler neck.... grrrrrr (I will have to come up with a fix for this)
Hi NZWestie, what a great question as I have been thinking exactly the same question with my 2019 model. I am with you in terms of your rationale to the fuel issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
That is what I experienced too
The orange light goes on and the range indicator tells me that I can drive for another 80 km.
The bars on the display still give me two bars left.
My average is appr 33 km/ltr and that means when the light goes on I should have driven 33 x 10 = 330 km
At the moment the orange light goes on and I do not have driven that 330 km it means that I haven’t reached the last liter (smart math !)
I think it’s a safety issue too.

Your problem with the filler cap sounds familiar and is a little ‘pain in the .....’
It’s nothing big but just something they could do a bit better (maby an upgrade for 2018)

I had problems by closing the filler cap.
I have to use the key to close it.
It was not possible to close the cap just putting it down.
I need the use the key to lock it.

A suggestion was to fill it not all the way and I have not tried that yet.
I have to fill the Beamer up this week someday and will try to keep some air left
I totally agree with Bas with both the fuel consumption and the locking of the fuel filler cap on my 2019 model.
It has been embarrassing at he fuel station, trying to close the fuel cap.

Cheers H

·
Registered
1 Posts
Leaving the key in is a safety feature of the fuel cap, just fill it up to the cross bar in the filler inlet and you shouldn't have a problem closing the cap. I also tend to get about 7.5-8 litres into the tank when the reserve light comes on. Anyone game to ride it to 0km range remaining to see if they still get the reserve after this?
I have driven till the range displays dash -- But it goes further My problem is it contains total of 9bars but the capacity is 11 what is the actual capacity of each points?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts