BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
There is a post from 2018 about a similar situation but since it’s four years old I thought it’d be better to create a new post.

Long story short, I found the G 310 GS in the color that I want at the BMW dealership near me but they dropped the bike while setting it up and it broke the tank cover and a LED turn signal. They are now waiting for these parts to come in to paint the tank cover and reinstall them.

Has anybody here in the forum had a similar experience? Also, does anybody know if BMW Motorrad dealerships in the US paint these parts in their shops or do they outsource this type of service?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Most outsource painting these days. You can check max bmw catalogs to see if your part comes painted. Probably not though I saw a couple of the plastic ones said “gloss black” awhile back. That’s a bogus bike tale that will have a happy ending.

Reactions: OGS456

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most outsource painting these days. You can check max bmw catalogs to see if your part comes painted. Probably not though I saw a couple of the plastic ones said “gloss black” awhile back. That’s a bogus bike tale that will have a happy ending.
Thank you for the reply!

I just checked the catalog and the parts do not come painted. Guess I’ll have to take a very close look at it to see if there‘s any color and texture difference between both sides.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't except the bike, there might be unseen damage
Thanks for the reply!

You could be right but do you really think that a BMW dealership in the US would sell a brand new bike that has a more serious, unseen damage other than just something cosmetic that has been repaired?

I mean, they have insurance and all that. Wouldn’t it be easier and safer for them to use it in this case?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the reply!

You could be right but do you really think that a BMW dealership in the US would sell a brand new bike that has a more serious, unseen damage other than just something cosmetic that has been repaired?

I mean, they have insurance and all that. Wouldn’t it be easier and safer for them to use it in this case?
Ask yourself: Is it gonna be easier or harder to sell a bike in the future that "has been damaged, and repaired" or a bike "never damaged or repaired" ?
To be fair, the damage to your bike doesn't sound like "major damage" or "major repair", so probably it doesn't matter... but worth to have in mind... :)

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yeah, you’d been way better off if they had not told you why it was taking awhile……it will be a brand new bike with no “blemishes“ or they won’t sell it to you or anyone. All kinds of of crazy things can happen at dealer before you get your unit In your hands. Generally you’ll never know. There will be no record of the mishap attached to title etc. I’m just praying you get your bike soon bra, it’s May! Time to ride. Me, I’d be trying to get a free 600 mile service outta it though, for the stress of waiting. Ask, can’t hurt. Also a loaner until yours ready?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Ask yourself: Is it gonna be easier or harder to sell a bike in the future that "has been damaged, and repaired" or a bike "never damaged or repaired" ?
To be fair, the damage to your bike doesn't sound like "major damage" or "major repair", so probably it doesn't matter... but worth to have in mind... :)
Yeah, I'll probably be ok when selling it in the future. Since it seems to be only a cosmetic damage that has not been reported but you are right, worth it to have that in mind!

Yeah, you’d been way better off if they had not told you why it was taking awhile……it will be a brand new bike with no “blemishes“ or they won’t sell it to you or anyone. All kinds of of crazy things can happen at dealer before you get your unit In your hands. Generally you’ll never know. There will be no record of the mishap attached to title etc. I’m just praying you get your bike soon bra, it’s May! Time to ride. Me, I’d be trying to get a free 600 mile service outta it though, for the stress of waiting. Ask, can’t hurt. Also a loaner until yours ready?
True man! I did some digging and it seems that dealerships and repair shops drop/damage more bikes than we think. Some even say that every new tech is contractually obligated to drop a bike in their first month.:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I'll definitely ask for a free first service, we'll see how it goes.

Anyways, got an update today that bike will be ready in the upcoming week! The new part has been painted, and they are now waiting for the stickers to arrive to put everything together. They offered me to go and take a look at the bike as is but I prefer to see it only when it's ready.

Also, they told me they use the same certified BMW body repair shop that BMW car dealerships use to paint these parts.

One thing that I forgot to mention: I'm buying the Rallye Style which is kinda hard to find in my area. The other dealerships that have this color in stock are a few hundred miles away and their OTD price is ~$800 more than what I'm paying.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I’d confess to dropping a bike off the lift being in a hurry. A friend had a big pick up truck slip off a lift and near totaled the truck! That’s what insurance is for. **** happens man.
BMW doesn’t sell junk or damaged units. The only thing cheap on a BMW is the nutter holding to the bars. A horrid saga with happy ending. Looking forward to seeing picts

1 - 9 of 9 Posts