BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had a discussion today with my mechanic that got me worried. the engine is noisy (too noisy for his standards) and the noise seems to come from the top of the cylinder block (maybe valves..). does anyone know about any engine issues or it is the "normal" sound of this bike?

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
maybe because the bike has four valves and two overhead camshafts compared to 2 and 1 for some other single cylinders?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, it's not the first bike with such an engine that i ride. i 've had a single cylinder Kawasaki with the same configuration and it was running really smooth. i understand that this is a bike from a different maker, but still it shouldn't be THAT noisy. i hope that it will get better after a few thousand kms..

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not certain about warranty in other countries, but in US it is three years. If mechanic is at a BMW service center, the "too noisy for his standards" should come under warranty. It could be normal or the whole thing is coming apart or anywhere in between. Has the valve lash been checked?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Honestly, my G310R is quite noisey too....more noisey than any other bike I've owned, but I think it's probably fine. It runs well and is surprisingly quick for what it is. I'm not worrying too much about it since it's under warranty.

The only thing I'd be potentially worried about is the valve clearances being off from the factory. I think somebody made one post about it here, but that's not our problem. Should all be under warranty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Gee, I wish you could compare it to another G310 and listen to both carefully. It may be that the mechanic had not listened carefully to another G310 in awhile. It can be very subjective. I hope it is nothing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From what I've been able to gather, it's just a noisy motor in general. You definitely will hear disconcerting mechanical noise/clatter radiating up from under the tank (sounds like it's in the tank almost), but it shouldn't be a cause for concern.

I haven't hit my first service mileage yet so I don't know for sure, but some people have reported that it quiets down a little with fresh oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts