BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the G310’s are made in Bangalore. But my question is are the bikes made completely in Bangalore then shipped to Germany for onward shipping to the dealers. Or are the bikes components made in Bangalore then they are shipped to Germany for the BMW factory to complete and ship to the dealers.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I know that the G310’s are made in Bangalore. But my question is are the bikes made completely in Bangalore then shipped to Germany for onward shipping to the dealers. Or are the bikes components made in Bangalore then they are shipped to Germany for the BMW factory to complete and ship to the dealers.
they are all made in India. this is why they are so unreliable. they are made by TVS company, in 'cooperation' with bmw. obviously the quality control is crap.

·
Registered
751 Posts
yes, all the parts for small gs and r are manufactured in India, under the supervision of BMW.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BMW_G310R

BMW G310R was developed with an intent to increase BMW's presence in global markets.[12] It is the first ever BMW bike not to be manufactured in Europe.[13] The design of the bike was engineered by BMW in Munich, Germany, and will be built and assembled at TVS Motor Company's Hosur automobile plant in Indian state of Tamil Nadu.[14][15] BMW Motorrad CEO Stephan Schaller said that sales of the G310R in India will begin in the first half of 2017, and BMW's US website says it will be in dealerships in the winter of 2016.[16][17]

·
Registered
751 Posts
My view is, If they carry the BMW name, it doesn't matter where they are made or assembled they should still be the great quality and standard you would expect from a BMW...
it is a 'nice' view, but the reality is not matching it. i did not have personally any problems yet, but I see from other threads that bikes are facing many issues. also, in general, BWM is not producing reliable bikes. people spend lots of time in the garage fixing things. they are much inferior to Japanese bikes, even though aesthetically looking great, and more comfortable. in the past, when BMW produced more simple bikes, they were unbreakable. but since they introduced all that sophisticated electronics, it is not longer the case. same with Ducati bikes. I met one person who had to go back to the Ducati dealer, because his bike broke down just 1h after he got the bike (Multistrada)!

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you taking everything apart, you will see actually some of part are made in Germany or USA. Ironically, most parts related issues happened with 310, are not made in India. I am Chinese living in USA. A lot of 310 owners from mainland are keep complaining about this bike is crap and India made quality is bad. especially the battery, but I found out that rubbish battery is actually made in Pennsylvania and you can buy this exact crap with a super cheap price from Amazon without the BMW logo. But I always insist this is a issue regarding BMW quality control and cost management, not India manufacturing itself. Some oil leaking issues happened with this 310 engine in China recently, they replaced the gasket, but it still leaks a lttle bit. But we found out that the engine was sealed by silicon glue for G310 brother, which is that red hot Apache 310, in a promo video.

·
Registered
751 Posts
If you taking everything apart, you will see actually some of part are made in Germany or USA. Ironically, most parts related issues happened with 310, are not made in India. I am Chinese living in USA. A lot of 310 owners from mainland are keep complaining about this bike is crap and India made quality is bad. especially the battery, but I found out that rubbish battery is actually made in Pennsylvania and you can buy this exact crap with a super cheap price from Amazon without the BMW logo. But I always insist this is a issue regarding BMW quality control and cost management, not India manufacturing itself. Some oil leaking issues happened with this 310 engine in China recently, they replaced the gasket, but it still leaks a lttle bit. But we found out that the engine was sealed by silicon glue for G310 brother, which is that red hot Apache 310, in a promo video.
that's interesting. makes sense. who is using glue for the gaskets these day anyway? it was done with vintage bikes. i read that even big bmw bikes have this issue with oil leaking from gaskets.

actually, as I live part time in India, many manufactures make quite nice quality bikes there. incidentally, the apache 310rr made by TVS, which is the copy of 310r, is much cheaper in India, and might be of a better built quality, plus it has LED lights and works...

·
Registered
114 Posts
it is a 'nice' view, but the reality is not matching it. i did not have personally any problems yet, but I see from other threads that bikes are facing many issues. also, in general, BWM is not producing reliable bikes. people spend lots of time in the garage fixing things. they are much inferior to Japanese bikes, even though aesthetically looking great, and more comfortable. in the past, when BMW produced more simple bikes, they were unbreakable. but since they introduced all that sophisticated electronics, it is not longer the case. same with Ducati bikes. I met one person who had to go back to the Ducati dealer, because his bike broke down just 1h after he got the bike (Multistrada)!
Kris you confuse me. You dismiss Alan’s view and indicate that the bike is inferior to Japanese bikes even though you have not had any problems with your BMW. I assume reading your response your argument is based on reading some threads here on the site and that there are some issues with the bike. I would be willing to suggest that there are a fair number of people that join forums of any kind looking for answers to problems they have with a specific product. I wonder how many threads exist on the forums of Japanese manufactured bikes that focus on talking about issues or concerns?

You basically conclude that the majority of the issues with BMW and Ducati bikes are related to the introduction of those “sophisticated electronics”? I guessing you are part of the “old school” when it comes to adapting to change. You also say that when BMW’s were simpler they were unbreakable. Makes sense I guess if you follow the principle of less is best, but where’s your evidence showing the stats that older BMW’s or any other bikes for that matter are better than the 310.

Let’s remember that when BMW produced more simpler bikes, forums like this didn’t even exist. Let’s also remember that with the share number of these affordable BMW’s now on the road and continuing to grow it will likely result in more issues reported on forums.

Are you also suggesting that all Ducati bikes are not reliable because of one guy you know broke down one hour after he road away from the dealership? What about all of the other folks that didn’t break down?

Like you I have not had any problems with my BMW even with all of those sophisticated electronics. If you are willing to make such a definitive conclusion on Ducati bikes on one example, I’m wondering if you took your bike example and my experience with our BMW’s why might conclude that BMW’s are reliable.

I personally have no real hard facts or statistics to say if the “new” BMW’s are more reliable than the older generation. But I personally don’t dismiss other members views with my own view. Especially when my argument is founded on my own reality. Which we all know can be distorted based on one individual’s life experiences.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Having spent many years managing manufacturing processes and procedures, I can say you get what you inspect! Now, with that being said, you also get what you pay for! The 310 is an inexpensive bike for what you get. It isn't perfect, but neither was my big expensive RT! BMW isn't perfect, but neither are the Japanese bikes of which I've owned many. I've had major failures of critical components with one of my BMW's while zero in my Japanese bikes. The trade off for me was the options available or standard on the BMW, the comfort and technology. These little 310's are badged BMW, but aren't priced BMW! There are trade offs. If you expect $20,000.00 quality from a $6,000 bike because it is what you are accustomed to, you will be disappointed. If you look at the price point for what you're getting with these bikes while realizing there are multiple vendors supplying parts for the bike just like car manufacturers, you may come to appreciate the bike for what it is. A well thought out and designed, inexpensive bike developed for the less "disposable cash" buyer. A market where huge powerful machines with tons of electronics and bells and whistles doesn't fit the needs or budgets. Years ago I asked my BMW dealer about my bikes (oil cooled) tendency to get close to over heating. He asked what made me think it was over heating. I told him I was basing it on the number of bars showing on my temp gage. He laughed and said, we never heard of an over heating issue with our bikes until that gage was added to the electronics. Sometimes we're our own worst enemies........

·
Registered
751 Posts
Kris you confuse me. You dismiss Alan’s view and indicate that the bike is inferior to Japanese bikes even though you have not had any problems with your BMW. I assume reading your response your argument is based on reading some threads here on the site and that there are some issues with the bike. I would be willing to suggest that there are a fair number of people that join forums of any kind looking for answers to problems they have with a specific product. I wonder how many threads exist on the forums of Japanese manufactured bikes that focus on talking about issues or concerns?

You basically conclude that the majority of the issues with BMW and Ducati bikes are related to the introduction of those “sophisticated electronics”? I guessing you are part of the “old school” when it comes to adapting to change. You also say that when BMW’s were simpler they were unbreakable. Makes sense I guess if you follow the principle of less is best, but where’s your evidence showing the stats that older BMW’s or any other bikes for that matter are better than the 310.

Let’s remember that when BMW produced more simpler bikes, forums like this didn’t even exist. Let’s also remember that with the share number of these affordable BMW’s now on the road and continuing to grow it will likely result in more issues reported on forums.

Are you also suggesting that all Ducati bikes are not reliable because of one guy you know broke down one hour after he road away from the dealership? What about all of the other folks that didn’t break down?

Like you I have not had any problems with my BMW even with all of those sophisticated electronics. If you are willing to make such a definitive conclusion on Ducati bikes on one example, I’m wondering if you took your bike example and my experience with our BMW’s why might conclude that BMW’s are reliable.

I personally have no real hard facts or statistics to say if the “new” BMW’s are more reliable than the older generation. But I personally don’t dismiss other members views with my own view. Especially when my argument is founded on my own reality. Which we all know can be distorted based on one individual’s life experiences.
I don't have hard facts to support my view, but I never had any issues with Japanese bikes, (thanks good, neither had I issues so far with Tiger 800, except that relatively new battery died for no apparent reasons). my ideas are based on browsing through many forums, which does not 'prove' anything of course. However, there was a study based on reports of 11000 riders according to which bmw has one of the highest failure rates.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/04/who-makes-the-most-reliable-motorcycle/index.htm

'Electronically sophisticated' is a relative term. To have a couple of riding modes, abs, and some traction control becomes now common, and is not that sophisticated. But the higher end bmw bikes or ducati are much more complicated. you need to study their dashboard more time that you ride. for instance, electronic suspension tends to fail according to many reports. Who needs these things anyway? It is a motorbike, not an airplane. I do like to have ABS though, as it is a safety feature.

310 is not electronically sophisticated at all; it does not even have the warning lights :( . In fact, it is not enough sophisticated, as it cannot even start on its own in cold! I hope that they fixed most of the initial issues, because this little bike is my favourite.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My gs is a lemon and the support i get from the dealer and bmw australia are very low class. The bike had waterpump faulty and now alternator faulty, been with the dealer for 3 weeks. And still waiting for the part. The most frustrating brand i deal with "BMW".

·
Super Moderator
975 Posts
My gs is a lemon and the support i get from the dealer and bmw australia are very low class. The bike had waterpump faulty and now alternator faulty, been with the dealer for 3 weeks. And still waiting for the part. The most frustrating brand i deal with "BMW".

That's no good!

Would it be too difficult for BMW to have a couple of bikes totally parted here in Australia so that parts could be sent overnight?

A good dealer also makes a huge difference, a good dealer should be fighting on your behalf, because that's what gets repeat business and referrals. Who's your dealer?

·
Registered
751 Posts
which year is your bike?

·
Registered
30 Posts
which year is your bike?
nov 2017. I have enough with bmw. Going to sell once repaired and thinking to get yamaha tenere700 instead. Bmw australia very unprofessional in giving after sales service. Take ages to get anything repair. I ll stick with japanese from now on.

·
Registered
30 Posts

That's no good!

Would it be too difficult for BMW to have a couple of bikes totally parted here in Australia so that parts could be sent overnight?

A good dealer also makes a huge difference, a good dealer should be fighting on your behalf, because that's what gets repeat business and referrals. Who's your dealer?
Thanks for your concern. The dealer i deal with also not very supportive (city coast motor) Perhaps it is only cheap gs. Well, i have enough with bmw. Going to sell once finish repaired n going to stick with japanese bike from now. Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
The parts on my 2018 GS 310 is no way near the Quality of my Older GS R 100 /R1100 /R1150/ R1200 GS They were made in Germany !No Comparison in any way!

·
Registered
35 Posts
May have a little bit to do with price difference in the bikes you've listed vs the 310! A $6,000.00 dollar bike in today's dollars doesn't compete against a $26,000.00 bike in today's dollars. I loved my previous BMW's for their comfort, technology, wind management and performance. I loved my Japanese bikes for their minimal maintence and reliability. I'm picking up a 310 GS in two days. After reading and watching video reviews I've decided like anything else there will be some real inadequacies, some disgruntled buyers and some exuberant buyers. When my RT broke down and left me stranded I wasn't very happy. I knew of the potential problem that affected some bikes rear ends. I was lucky enough to get one. My friends with RT's never had any problems. My bike was serviced the same as theirs so why me? Never had another problem after repair, but I did a lot of preventative maintenance repairing less than stellar German engineering and production. It wasn't perfect, it was good, but humans built it... Based on what I consider some valid points, I'll end up making some improvements and correct deficiencies on the 310. I know this because I did a lot of research to determine which bike I would purchase. I had my choice down to the Honda CRF250L Rally, the Kawasaki X300 and the BMW. The Honda would be the most reliable by far. Great off road ability with few upgrades required. Only fair on the road. The Kawasaki would be ok on dirt with some upgrades. The ABS did not have a shut off switch like the BMW for offroad riding. It was pretty good on the street but like the Ninja it needs high revs for power. The BMW was best on road. Poor suspension for off road, but has a switch to shut off the abs. With an additional $1,000.00 the BMW becomes a good off road bike for light off road rides. So, for $7,000 I get a bike that can take me anywhere on road and many places off road. I think the bike will perform well for my needs. I'm not going to be racing it across Baja, but I can ride from Oklahoma to Baja and ride it across Baja. Everyone has their own opinion regarding these bikes or any bike. This is my opinion and only time will tell if I made a wise decision or not..........

1 - 20 of 24 Posts