BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Low seat comment

The 310 should have come with the lower seat from the start as it is an "Entry Level" bike for newcomers. Instead they put on a taller seat so shorter rider would have to pay an additional $400 plus for a lowers seat. Kawasaki got it right with the X300 Versys, BMW should have followed the lead.

I am not going to pay $400+ for a seat. I would rather get the upgraded rear shock from Rally-raid products for about $500 that can lower the seat height and provide a better suspension.

The STD seat = 32.9" LOW = 32.3" Kawasaki X-300 Versys = 32.1" are you listening BMW?

Reactions: Capolee80

·
Registered
324 Posts
I may have one for sale in northern Virginia - haven't made up my mind yet. Still swapping back and forth, but am tending to like the standard seat better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought my gs last week and im on tip toes at traffic lights. Also stock seat seems a little wide for me. From your experience how much narrower/shorter is the low seat?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I just bought my gs last week and im on tip toes at traffic lights. Also stock seat seems a little wide for me. From your experience how much narrower/shorter is the low seat?
The low seat will probably seem wider, as what they have done is to remove some padding so that you sit lower in the "bucket" while the width stays the same.

Frankly, I didn't really notice any difference in how much foot I got down at a stop (I'm "flat-toed" as opposed to tip-toed), but did notice the lack of padding and a seating position that gave me even less room to move around.

I'm back on the stock seat and will probably take the low seat to a local seat maker to see if he can do anything with it - I'd like to get rid of the step directly behind the rider's position and have a smoother transition to the pillion area.

IMHO save your $400 and have a cobbler put thicker soles on your riding boots. :grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
The low seat will probably seem wider, as what they have done is to remove some padding so that you sit lower in the "bucket" while the width stays the same.

Frankly, I didn't really notice any difference in how much foot I got down at a stop (I'm "flat-toed" as opposed to tip-toed), but did notice the lack of padding and a seating position that gave me even less room to move around.

I'm back on the stock seat and will probably take the low seat to a local seat maker to see if he can do anything with it - I'd like to get rid of the step directly behind the rider's position and have a smoother transition to the pillion area.

IMHO save your $400 and have a cobbler put thicker soles on your riding boots. :grin2:
Great feedback, this is what I was worried they did. If i would change anything, it would be that step you refer to. I think ill find a local shop to reshape the foam.

Cheers

·
Registered
140 Posts
I don't know what you are wearing for shoes.. but go to CycleGear or other and get a pair of motorcycle boots and you may need to get an adventure boot to get a thicker sole. I got the Bilt Adventure boot for $129. and it helps. You may have to adjust the shift lever upward so you can get the boot under it easier.

Sport Boot Thickness: 1" heel 3/8" Toes
Adv Boot Thickness: 1.5" heel 3/4" Toes

Boots also help when the bike goes "timber" at a stop and lands on your foot/leg when you slow its fall.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts