BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I hopped on my bike to go to work, same procedure as every day, bike in Neutral, side stand up, kill switch in correct position, ignition on, clutch in. With the ignition on, the normal noises (I suspect fuel pump) were heard, nothing abnormal. Normal ABS flashing light. However, when I pressed the starter button it behaved as though the side stand was down with the bike in gear. The only notable item was a brief display of what seemed to be an engine warning indicator on the far right side of the LCD screen (popped up for no more than a second after pressing the starter button).

I tried turning off the ignition, moving the side stand, re-engaging neutral.

No battery light, the bike has worked perfectly up until last night when I parked it, but come this morning that had changed.

I attempted to push start the bike, it turned over and almost sounded like it wanted to start. Eventually I landed up downhill with no more option to push start. I then attempted to start the bike again using the starter button and the starter motor operated and the bike started as normal. I have now driven the bike into work, some 40kms without incident, wondering if it will start when I need to leave this afternoon.

My initial suspicion is that the bike has a cam sensor that may be at the root of the issue, does anyone know if these bikes have cam sensors? By push starting the cam position would have changed and may have woken up the sensor, again assuming there is a cam sensor.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Seems confusing, you said that initially the starter button behaved -and sounded- as if the bike was in gear with the side stand down. When you attempted to push start did it make the same sound or was it cranking?

I'm no expert, however, the former sounds like a side stand circuit not working as intended or has gotten stuck; the latter sounds like a battery or starter issue.

Let us know afterwards when you finish from job how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With the bike in neutral the side stand sensor is out of the equation anyway. The odds of both side stand and neutral sensor malfunctioning together is very slim.

The push start forced the engine to crank over a couple time, rolled in 2nd gear and popped the clutch. I get the feeling the forced rotation of the engine resolved what ever the issue was, which suggests a sensor issue on the engine, but I can find no exciting sensors in the engine diagram I have located on the web. I have heard mention of a crank sensor, but have found no sign of such a sensor.

I have subsequently started the bike normally, nothing worse than an intermittent issue, never know when it will strike again and almost certain the dealership will give it a clean bill of health.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well I had exactly those symptoms last week, and found the battery dead. Subsequent dealer checks have confirmed that the stator windings are cooked and need replacing.... Bike was fine in the morning when I rode it to work. Dead in the evening when I tried to go home. Keep an eye on your battery voltage.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
KuwiJ: Daxiet's symptoms are different as his battery was/is fine.

This sort of thing is why it's so good to be able to read fault codes. Just this weekend I bought the MotoScan app, as my bike needs service in a few weeks. Through the scanner, the bike will likely be able to tell you what the problem was.

·
Registered
183 Posts
BMW....one unreliable motorcycle brand. The G310R is my first BMW motorcycle, and I'm starting to regret buying it seeing these stupid issues. I've never had these issues with Japanese bikes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
KuwiJ: Daxiet's symptoms are different as his battery was/is fine.

This sort of thing is why it's so good to be able to read fault codes. Just this weekend I bought the MotoScan app, as my bike needs service in a few weeks. Through the scanner, the bike will likely be able to tell you what the problem was.
Symptoms were actually very similar. Battery was at 10.5v, starter wouldn't turn over but everything else electrical worked. I didn't try bump starting because it was in a parking garage.

There is no voltage indicator on the dash. I had no battery warning or anything else on the dash either.

As for the scanner, I have two that I have been using on the Jeeps as well. No error codes.

·
Registered
125 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback, the bike again after sitting idle for the weekend failed to start yesterday morning, opted for a push start worked like a bomb. This morning however it did the same thing, this time I just pushed enough to get one rotation if that of the crank (not attempting to start the bike, just attempting to move the crank). Then attempted to start normally, bike immediately fired up without any issue. Odd that this would help a battery issue, doubt a single rotation would change the charge of the battery.

I will check the battery voltage, alas when I need to get going I don't have time to pop the seat and grab a multimeter. Will check it tomorrow morning before attempting to start. The symptoms described by KiwiJeeper do sound very much the same, all that is left it so check the battery charge. Just odd the battery light doesn't feature - got ask what it's purpose/value is. Plus that a single rotation of the crank was enough to start the bike normally.

·
Registered
125 Posts
You might be having a problem with the starter. You know like in cars in the older days the starter wouldn't turn, tap with a hammer a couple of times and it worked. It used to work with a bump or two in a manual transmission.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Checked the battery voltage before attempting to start the bike this morning. 12.8V, which looked really good but then I turned the ignition to on and the true situation was revealed. Battery voltage quickly dropped to 11.78V and trickled down while the ignition was left on. The bike wouldn't start, but strange enough, I left the ignition on while rolling the bike out the garage in neutral. I then for the **** of it tried starting it and it started fine. Stranger than fiction :)

So the battery doesn't seem capable anymore to handle the load of the headlight, taillight, fuel pump and whatever else electronic is engaged with the ignition on. Still a mystery however that it started after being moved around in neutral with a sub 12V charge.

Will try get around to replacing the battery and then provide feedback. The bike is only 1 year and 2 months old (~18000kms), not great battery life. I also ride 40kms (28-30mins) into work and 40kms out each day, so the battery gets plenty charging time.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
It sounds like one of the connections to the battery is making poor contact. Check all the connections and the starter/main fuse. Could also be the starter as someone wrote, or a sensor in the engine? Read the codes using the MotoScan app.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have had exactly the same problem. This was towards the end of a 3 week motorbike trip. Brought the bike to a nearby BMW dealer and they recharged the battery and after that it worked normally. BMW did a test on battery and alternator and both worked fine (it seemed)

Then the next day it started again. I rode a few kms before a quick stop, and once I got on my bike again and it failed to start. Bike back to BMW and again after charging all was fine. But I didn't want to take any risk, so shipped the bike to my hometown and dealer where I bought it.

They charged it again and kept the bike for a week to see whether there was an electric leakage. All good they said.

One week later, same problem. Now I was quite mad about the situation as my patience was gone. They replaced the battery with a new one (under warrantee) and ultimately agreed that the battery was faulty.

Still no idea what the reason was for this.

So far so good, the bike is starting again, but for a next bike trip away from home, I am going to buy a small 'power bank' for cars / motorcycles. This should do the trick to jumpstart the bike. Will just stick it in the bottom of my pannier.

But hopefully this will not happen again. Let's see

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Let's establish whether we can push start these little bikes? I will try tomorrow, should be do-able in second or even third gear. That way we can always get going if the battery is the culprit (maybe not if it's the alternator/stator).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Let's establish whether we can push start these little bikes? I will try tomorrow, should be do-able in second or even third gear. That way we can always get going if the battery is the culprit (maybe not if it's the alternator/stator).
You need the battery to run the fuel pump and computer.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Sure, but I'm thinking of the situation where the battery doesn't have enough left to start the bike, but enough to do its other duties. If you then manage to get the engine going, the electricity that generates could be enough to keep going.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just to close this item out and provide feedback. The battery was replaced under warranty, no issues since. Hopefully the new battery has better longevity than the first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have similar problems since yesterday afternoon with my 2018 BMW G310GS with only 1, 300 miles. After I washed my motorcycle, it wouldn't start. It was acting as if the battery was dead or the started was bad. I tried to push the motorcycle in 2nd gear back and forth and try to start. It tried to start but did not makes to start. I pushed in 2nd and 3rd gear and tried to and it never started. I decided to check the battery and it looks like it was bad since it did not take any charge. Purchase a new Premium quality battery Platinum Series Megaboost that exceeds OEM Battery C.C.A. by 15% that at Cycle Gear neat me. I charged until It completed the change and installed it on my motorcycle. I tried to start the motorcycle and it did not want to start. I tried to move it back and forth in 2nd gear again and it almost cranks or starts but it failed to start. Any ideas that you might have will be valuable for me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts