BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Forum, what tooth number (and supplier) would you recommend off-road for a G310GS (2022)? Would going down 1 tooth in the front suffice, or should I go more aggressive, both front and rear sprocket?

Surfaces I encounter are packed/loose gravel, dirt, rocks, sand, as well as steep up-/down-hill. Paved side roads are taken mainly to get to the "fun stuff," and almost never highway/interstate.

The stock set-up per the manual is:
  • Number of teeth of rear-wheel drive (Pinion/sprocket): 16/40
  • Secondary gear ratio: 2.500
Transmission gear ratios 3.083, Primary gear ratio
1:3.000, 1st gear
1:2.063, 2nd gear
1:1.588, 3rd gear
1:1.286, 4th gear
1:1.095, 5th gear
1:0.955, 6th gear

Thanks much for your advice.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I dropped 1 tooth on the front sprocket on my 2019. Made a big transformation. It’s probably enough for most riding without sacrificing on road performance.

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
666 Posts
I dropped 1 tooth on the front sprocket on my 2019. Made a big transformation. It’s probably enough for most riding without sacrificing on road performance.
I measured the top speed of my 2018 G310GS before changing to a 15T front sprocket to 144 km/h. After the shift to smaller sprocket, I only clocked 143 km/h. A terrible loss of performance. Acceleration felt better thou. Measured on different days with different environmental conditions.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My dash speedometer reads 2-3 mph higher than my gps.
Dropping the gearing did not affect my top speed much if any. Mpg actually went up slightly. I regularly get 70 mpg running the bike hard.

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
666 Posts
My dash speedometer reads 2-3 mph higher than my gps.
Dropping the gearing did not affect my top speed much if any. Mpg actually went up slightly. I regularly get 70 mpg running the bike hard.
Most speedos are optimists- They show 1-10% over actual speed. This so the driver/rider won't be charged for speeding when driving at maximum allowed speed. I have, however had a Volvo that showed 5% less, due to bad electrical connection to the instrument cluster. I was stopped by the Police after passing them on the motorway in legal speed, according to my speedo. I had to "discuss" about the situation with them for 10-15 minutes. They had difficulties believing my explanation, but let my go without charges.

·
Registered
G310GS 2018
666 Posts
I won't change the sprocket. The only thing I would upgrade is the exhaust to get a bit of torque / power.
You get all the torque you need with a 15T front sprocket. That's only one tooth smaller than OE and cost you a fraction of the price of the exhaust. You won't even notice any loss in top speed. A more open and louder exhaust probably gives you more subjective feeling of power and torque, without any real effect increase.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts