BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am new to this group. I had purchased a 2019 G310GS new this past year. I got it in October, then had to garage it through the winter. I am re-learning how to ride on this small bike and intend to eventually use it for light off road/trail/"adventure" (and get a 2nd bike to road use). Here is my issue: after a few hundred miles, I began to notice the the bike would occasionally not upshift (usually 2 to 3, sometimes 3 to 4). The shifter just kind of gets stuck and doesn't move, the bike will then shift after I push up on the shifter once or twice. I explained the problem when I took the bike in for its 600 mile service. The service guy looked at me quizzically then said it would probably go away after they did the first oil change and clutch adjustment. I am now at about 1350 miles and of course the issue persists. I might go 200 miles without it happening once, then it will go through a period where it sticks with every 3rd or 4th attempt to upshift out of 2nd. It is not a catastrophic issue, but it is extremely annoying and sometimes makes it difficult to accelerate into traffic. The dealer is a solid 2 hours away and I am certain that if I take it back there to get it fixed, the bike will be going through one of it's "honeymoon" phases where it shifts fine and that's what they'll tell me: "it's fine". They certainly didn't seem to interested in chasing the issue down when I first told them about it. As such, I am a bit hesitant to take it back there unless under duress. Does anyone have any experience with this or recommendations? Thanks!

·
Registered
342 Posts
hi StBernard.
sorry to hear that your service guys are not as good as we hope they should be - I have the same situation over here.!
I've not had your described problem on the g310, but I did have it on a 650v honda.
To fix it I removed all the gear linkage(s) - cleaned - re greased - reassembled ... job done + sorted.
only 1350 miles - maybe the gearbox is still settling in, perhaps time will ease it all for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi StBernard.
sorry to hear that your service guys are not as good as we hope they should be - I have the same situation over here.!
I've not had your described problem on the g310, but I did have it on a 650v honda.
To fix it I removed all the gear linkage(s) - cleaned - re greased - reassembled ... job done + sorted.
only 1350 miles - maybe the gearbox is still settling in, perhaps time will ease it all for you.
Thanks for your advice. I don't have the skills (or at least confidence) required to disassemble the gearbox and linkages. Even so, it might well be worth it to find a decent, independent motorcycle mechanic locally to do what you've described (shouldn't be too expensive). If they find something terrible, I can always go back to dealer to have it repaired under warranty.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I'd start with just the external linkages first.
yep a good indpendent bike mechanic is well worth it

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I have not commented with updates in a while because the situation remains vague and largely unresolved. I live in central Wisconsin, USA. This is relevant because if your bike doesn't have a large air cooled engine based on 40 year old tech, and "Harley Davidson" written on it, it does not qualify as a "motorcycle". Most motorcycle mechanics will look at you in bewilderment for riding anything different, then inform you that they only work on Harleys. They say this in much the same way that one might say "I only wear men's underwear." They also look at me suspiciously for choosing to wear a full face helmet. I am digressing: I did find the one shop that would look at the bike. They told me the gear linkage was loose so they tightened it and lubricated all the pivot points. They said it was fixed. It was not and is not fixed. BUT it is better, I think it is now upshifting more regularly and when it does not, the lever seems to have more willingness to it rather than being stuck and immobile. It ALMOST shifts. The dealer said they can look at it ... in about 6 weeks and, based on what parts they will needs to potentially order, they don't know how long they will have it in the shop. I will update this discussion when the situation gets resolved one way or the other so that if some one else comes along, they will see what the problem was for me. In the meantime, I will change the motor oil and gearbox oil as some have suggested.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts