BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

My 2021 G310R is occasionally failing to start.

I took it to get serviced (2000km) and have it investigated but they couldn't replicate it after trying for a week.

After service and all clear I rode it home and a couple of days later same thing happened.

I feel it has something to do with heat because if I can get it started and warm the bike up it starts fine every time after that and I suspect the dealer was trying when the bike had been sitting in the sun.

It mainly fails first thing in the morning for me, bike is always stored in a shed.

Same thing happens in video, fuel pump sounds good, go to start it and I only get a little hiccough crank then it stops and fuel pump goes again but I can't get another crank until I completely off and on the bike again.

Please let me know if anyone has any ideas?

Video here: VID_20220915161417.mp4

·
Registered
442 Posts
Hi LeKranc,
what is the ambient temperature when you try to start.?
Some of us [ but not all] find that a low / cold temperature [ say < 5'C] causes starting problems.
I found that the first couple of winters starting cold was very poor.
For reliability I had to warm up my engine with a fan heater ..!
More recently the mileage on the engine seems to have loosened up .
I have to use 5w40 oil in the winter .
Another option you might like to look at is a better quality / perfomance battery.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi LeKranc,
what is the ambient temperature when you try to start.?
Some of us [ but not all] find that a low / cold temperature [ say < 5'C] causes starting problems.
I found that the first couple of winters starting cold was very poor.
For reliability I had to warm up my engine with a fan heater ..!
More recently the mileage on the engine seems to have loosened up .
I have to use 5w40 oil in the winter .
Another option you might like to look at is a better quality / perfomance battery.
Thanks for letting me know! Ambient temp is at least 10'C but I do think it is temperature dependent as you suggest.
Will pursue the battery upgrade if I can't find a fix, thanks mate

·
Registered
750 Posts
I’d second a bat ray change. on my 22 the charging voltage of 14.9 volts is not conducive to bat ray life of flooded bat rays which will show up in cold weather. Th e Lithium units actually require a higher charging voltage.
Easy to test. Try jump starting from car on cold morning. If fires right up, well, you know what to do. Not a bad idea to install a bat ray monitor system/app on these very electron dependent units.

after watching video, I did notice it Seems like you’ve still the “service me” blank screen showing. Did the dealer hook up and reset reminder? On mine this did seem to make a difference at 600 mile run in. Other than that, bat ray

Reactions: LeKranc

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d second a bat ray change. on my 22 the charging voltage of 14.9 volts is not conducive to bat ray life of flooded bat rays which will show up in cold weather. Th e Lithium units actually require a higher charging voltage.
Easy to test. Try jump starting from car on cold morning. If fires right up, well, you know what to do. Not a bad idea to install a bat ray monitor system/app on these very electron dependent units.

after watching video, I did notice it Seems like you’ve still the “service me” blank screen showing. Did the dealer hook up and reset reminder? On mine this did seem to make a difference at 600 mile run in. Other than that, bat ray
Thank you for the insight mate. Will look into getting a better battery. As for the service, this vid was taken just prior to it being serviced, the reminder was reset successfully afterwards.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I agree with ARBOLMANO about seeing if jumping from another battery solves the problem. However, another option, assuming the bike is under warranty, is to wait for colder weather and ask the dealer to keep out in the cold all day before trying to start it. If you enable them to replicate the problem, the onus is on them to fix it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
That’s a good point. It so hard to diagnose an issue if not there when the tech is. A jump would only answer the question not solve the issue.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts