BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have had my G310R for almost a year. I recently got my provisional licence in Australia and as predictable as summer following spring I dropped the bike and broke my clutch lever. Anyway, it gave me a good excuse to get some aftermarket adjustable levers which just arrived in the mail. I am swapping them over and it seems one of my pivot/shoulder bolts must have been swapped out before I bought the bike and isn't actually a pivot/shoulder bolt at all. Just an ordinary M5 bolt. I have mined the internet for a few hours trying to find the replacement part and I can't find the specs anywhere. Here is what the good one looks like:

Black Font Automotive tire Auto part Technology

Shoulder diameter: 8mm
Shoulder length: 20mm
Thread diameter: 5mm
Thread length: 12mm
Nut: 8mm
Hex: 5mm

Does anyone know where to get these from other than going to a mechanic? (PS: I have tried two - one said call BMW and the other said he would order the part but never has).

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have done search on EBay and I know this is a UK search but you should have a similar supplier in Aus.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks. I tried a few searches and came up empty. I'll give this a go. Cheers.
You certainly have a little problem there.
The part you want is not available as an individual new part. It is only available as part of a set (lever, bolt & nut)
part no 32748388835. horribly expensive & seems particular to that model.
I suggest - 2nd hand, there is a 310R being wrecked in Benalla,Victoria. Search the net with 'wrecking bmw310r'
then select 'gumtree' and scroll down.
Or contact commercial bmw bike wreckers, they may have something from another model that will fit, or even japanese.
If this fails, 'engineering'. Some BMW models use a sleeve over a bolt to achieve that stepped bolt effect.
Get someone with a lathe to make you a tube - 8mm in diameter with a 5mm hole & 20mm long.
that will do the job.
Good luck
Bob L

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much @BobL51 - a 5mm bolt plus an 8mm collar looks like the easiest way to go I think. if that doesn't work I'll try the wreckers. Great suggestions.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have just done this swap because I, too, broke my clutch lever (just last week). I ordered a new assembly from BMW and just replaced everything. You need to use the original BWM bolt-part and put some lithium grease on it before re-assembly.

I have the new bike with adjustable levers and to be honest the "adjustability" part (at least to me) is a bit of a gimmick. I just can't see any difference.

In passing, I would just suggest getting the OEM parts from the dealer other than stuff from eBay or Alix. Just my stupid 2 cents - it was 50 Euros or so (for the whole assembly for the 2021 bike) here in BG....fair, IMO.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @chewy land - great suggestion. I’ll try the local BMW shop one more time and then an international one if they continue to be solely interested in selling new bikes.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi everyone. I have had my G310R for almost a year. I recently got my provisional licence in Australia and as predictable as summer following spring I dropped the bike and broke my clutch lever. Anyway, it gave me a good excuse to get some aftermarket adjustable levers which just arrived in the mail. I am swapping them over and it seems one of my pivot/shoulder bolts must have been swapped out before I bought the bike and isn't actually a pivot/shoulder bolt at all. Just an ordinary M5 bolt. I have mined the internet for a few hours trying to find the replacement part and I can't find the specs anywhere. Here is what the good one looks like:

View attachment 16236

Shoulder diameter: 8mm
Shoulder length: 20mm
Thread diameter: 5mm
Thread length: 12mm
Nut: 8mm
Hex: 5mm

Does anyone know where to get these from other than going to a mechanic? (PS: I have tried two - one said call BMW and the other said he would order the part but never has).

Thanks everyone.
If it helps? I found the lever and bolt on Max bmw Motorcycles here in the US. Part is same as below
32 72 8 388 835​

Never a bad thing to have an extra lever. I bought shorty levers on e-bay. Love them. Although That doesn't fit your bolt issue. Good luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you @ibsprink - I have ordered some bits from an Aussie based parts company that are not the exact items but should do the job. Will post here if it works out. If not, Max BMW looks a good plan B.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts