BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the original parts folder for the BMW G310R there was a mentioning of an optional center stand, even with the part numbers.
However, the BMW dealer appears to be unable to obtain them.

Has anyone been able to obtain a center stand from BMW or a 3rd party vendor?

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
In the original parts folder for the BMW G310R there was a mentioning of an optional center stand, even with the part numbers.

I managed to get a center stand for my G310R from SW-Motech before they were withdrawn from sale. It fitted easily enough, the hardest part was fitting the springs. I have to modify the center stand stop as it was only a thin piece of foam and it was not thick enough as the spring linkage rubbed the exhaust very slightly. It is now OK and very easy to use. I am not sure if or when SW-Motech will re-introduce it for sale with suitable modifications. They have a similar stand for the G310GS but is not suitable for the G310R as it is too long.

·
Registered
469 Posts

Use the "Search" feature here, lots of talk on the centre stands.
I know "MichaelJ" here on this site picked one up from Thailand.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Use the "Search" feature here, lots of talk on the centre stands.
I know "MichaelJ" here on this site picked one up from Thailand.
The one that he bought from Thailand was for a G310GS which does not fit the G310R. The Thailand manufacturer does not make a center stand for the G310R at present but apparently is considering it.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The one that he bought from Thailand was for a G310GS which does not fit the G310R. The Thailand manufacturer does not make a center stand for the G310R at present but apparently is considering it.
Right you are.
As I have said before here, it makes me wonder if the side stand failure is somehow related to BMW not
producing a centerstand? Lack of confidence in the metal/welds/design?
I realize they mount to different areas, but......

·
Registered
197 Posts
Right you are.
As I have said before here, it makes me wonder if the side stand failure is somehow related to BMW not
producing a centerstand? Lack of confidence in the metal/welds/design?
I realize they mount to different areas, but......
The centre stand mounts on the G310R are fairly substantial and appear to be very capable. The side stand problem is unrelated. See the thread "Anyone experienced" and there are photos of a broken side stand mounting.

·
Registered
469 Posts
The centre stand mounts on the G310R are fairly substantial and appear to be very capable. The side stand problem is unrelated. See the thread "Anyone experienced" and there are photos of a broken side stand mounting.
I am aware it is unrelated, I think you missed my point of the possibility of inferior qualities in general.
They may "appear to be very capable" but that may be just a guess.
I am just speculating on why BMW "may" have pulled the centre stand from their option list.:wink2:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Rumour has is that, due to inconsistencies in frame manufacture on the G310 models, the mounting holes for the centre stands do not always line up. However, the SW-Motech stand fitted easily enough on my G310R. It could be that the BMW stand would not pass the stringent German TUV standards.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Rumour has is that, due to inconsistencies in frame manufacture on the G310 models, the mounting holes for the centre stands do not always line up. However, the SW-Motech stand fitted easily enough on my G310R. It could be that the BMW stand would not pass the stringent German TUV standards.
Okay that makes sense, I think Rally Raid was having an issue with their bash plate/engine guard
due to this. Seems some were fitting on certain bikes and some were not, due to inconsistencies
with the centre stand mounting points for their bash plate.

·
Registered
13 Posts
no center-stand - so what motorcycle stand are you using?

looks like there is not a centerstand available for the 310R- I was waiting patiently but none have surfaced. What bike stand are you guys using to lift the rear wheel to clean and service the chain?

·
Registered
751 Posts
sport bikes like the R model usually do not use centre stand, and it will also lower the ground clearance. but I guess it is possible. with gs, RR did not go the route of making centre stand possible because of additional weight and because they wanted to focus more on off-roading. I did install in gs main stand from Wunderlich, and it was pretty easy, except as someone mentioned, pulling those springs can be tough. I needed help from another person and some rope attached to the spring puller to fit these springs.

still because of the bike's geometry, the rear wheel is not free when on the main stand, so when I lubricate the chain, I put a little rock under one side of the main stand.

For lubricating the chain, you can buy a paddock stand, or just roll the bike. if you have assistance, someone can just tilt the bike on the side stand to free the rear wheel. i think paddock stand is a good idea. i use it on a couple of bikes. it can be used with or without cotton reels (which serve also as some kind of crash protectors for the swingarm). Like these ones: https://www.rg-racing.com/browsebike/BMW/G310R/2017/CR0064BK/

·
Registered
17 Posts
If you use a paddock stand, how do you get the bike on single handed?

To lube chain I place a small scissor jack under the rear brake pedal(there is a solid bracket behind the pedal) whilst bike is on side stand. Quite easy to do and surprisingly stable.

·
Registered
155 Posts
oldgser

With bike on sidestand, roll paddock stand into position adjusting the width as needed. Use the passenger handles to raise bike off sidestand with left hand while pushing down with right hand on rear of paddock stand. When the stand makes contact with the swing arm push down the rest of the way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you use a paddock stand, how do you get the bike on single handed?

To lube chain I place a small scissor jack under the rear brake pedal(there is a solid bracket behind the pedal) whilst bike is on side stand. Quite easy to do and surprisingly stable.
I found it difficult at first- putting something under the kickstand like an old drill bit case or a brick makes it really easy (anything level and sturdy a couple of inches high works). Means you do not have to worry about balancing the bike whilst sliding it into position. Still had a mate to hand the first couple of times but now I can do it confidently solo and have not had any sketchy moments.

Got the idea from here

I do miss not having a center stand though they are just handy

·
Registered
751 Posts
it is pretty easy. i just make the bike stand straight supporting it from the rear, and slide the paddock under it and lift the bike. and my bike, Vulcan, is pretty heavy. with r it should be a piece of cake. and yes having a main stand is great for many reasons, even for storing the bike so the tires are not getting flat spots. even though one can store a bike lifted on paddock.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts