BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m having trouble with my clutch and shifter for the past 3 days. Sometimes I'm unable to shift down from 3rd gear slowing down to a stop. had to resort using the kill switch, pump the clutch lever to have the shifter working again. it's been happening frequently. Also; six months I owned this bike and I'm still having trouble finding that god **** neutral. Am I the only one?

I have a combined 32 hours of Basic and Intermediate training but never experienced a hard time finding neutral on any of my riding school's trainer bikes. TVS should issue a TSB for this. It's really getting on my nerve. Imagine this happening on a curve shifting down relying for that engine break.

And I was just starting to really like this bike, then this happened.

I'm not a clutch rider and don't dump the clutch at gears. Already checked my clutch lever and cable for play. Can't seem to find problems with it and still under tolerance level.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It’s a non hydrolic clutch system so I’m not sure how “pumping” the lever helps? Seems like the synchronizers in the transmission maybe going bad which should be under warranty. No problem finding neutral or shifting on my G310R btw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shifter was really stiff and won't budge if it happens. I'll look for some time to bring it back to service. I was told to blip the throttle while shifting gears, I'll try to adopt it on my riding behavior.

·
Registered
169 Posts
The shifter was really stiff and won't budge if it happens. I'll look for some time to bring it back to service. I was told to blip the throttle while shifting gears, I'll try to adopt it on my riding behavior.
Just to clarify, is this while on the move or when on a stop? The shifter can be weird if you try to upshift/downshift on a complete stop.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just to clarify, is this while on the move or when on a stop? The shifter can be weird if you try to upshift/downshift on a complete stop.
If you're trying to down shift more than one gear without letting out the clutch lever it will do this. I find when this happens if you let out on the clutch lever a little until you feel the bike starting to try to move forward and then pull the clutch lever back in you can down shift. This has happened a few times when I tried to down shift quickly without letting out the clutch lever between each gear. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
947 Posts
All good advice 👍
Also try, when downshifting, between every gear, a little ‘throttle’ (like dubbel shifting in a big truck)

Another thing, put your bike in the right gear before you go into a corner and try to avoid shifting in a corner.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Ok. So I used my bike today going to work; it's only a 14 km ride back and forth. I made it thru the day without the shifter getting stuck. I avoided shifting two gears on a single clutch lever press; meaning I have got to let go of the clutch every time I shift gears. No shifter incident at last. Thanks for those helpful advice.

Re adjusting my riding behavior for it. Although I love rev matching during turns, and not used to touching the brakes on lean turns.

Finding that neutral issue is still like an RNG experience though. I tried all kind of foot pressure to get the hang of it; but it's really frustrating.

From first gear to neutral there is a 30-70 chance I'd hit neutral or second gear respectively. From Second gear to neutral it's a like 50-50 chance of getting it right or getting the (-) dash.

I'll check the chains and the repair manual to know where my chains at, and give it some slack and see if it resolves the neutral issue.

Again my thanks for those advices.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'll check the chains and the repair manual to know where my chains at, and give it some slack and see if it resolves the neutral issue.
You could also check the clutch free play - at the lever, should be 1 - 2 mm free movement before you feel the tension. Its on page 73 of my manual.

Is the gear lever itself actually moving freely? The gears shift is actuated through a linkage to the lever - the length of that linkage is adjustable, a right and left hand threaded rod with lock nuts to set it in place. If that somehow had loosened and the link become too short or too long, it could result in stickier shifting. Fairly easy to check, just wiggle the gear shift lever (not trying to move it enough to actually change a gear though) and there should be no stiffness, with the pivot on the gearbox spline moving with it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sticky Shifing

I know from past experience that this issue can be caused by a clutch that is dragging...i.e., it is mechanically disengaged, but the plates are clinging together because the oil film between the plates does not have the correct frictional charactistics. This keeps a small amount of torque on the tranny main shaft gears which requires more force on the shifter forks to change gears. The result is that even though you have fully squeezed the clutch lever, you find that you have to press or pull harder on the shift lever to change gears. It can also make it a little harder to find neutral.

This usually happens after the bike has run several thousand km since the last oil change. If you have ascertained that the clutch cable adjustment is correct (page 73 of the operator's manual), and you are still having the issue, think about how many km are on the bike since the last oil change. Replacing the oil might make things better, even though you are thinking that you may not even be half way to the recommended 10K oil change interval.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having a problem with the shifter.

Hallo to everyone!
I 'm the owner of a G310R of 2018 (December) and i 'm having a problem with the shifter.
I don't know if this is normal that's why I 'm asking for your opinion.
When i shift gears from 2nd to 3rd the lever is harder than any other shift. This phenomenon is more intense when the engine speed is low (about 2500 to 4000 rpm). If i hold the gear for more time (about 5000 to 6000rpm) the shifter changes very sweet without any resistance. Same thing happens with the change from 3nd to 4rd but not so intense.
When i downshift there is no problem in any gear.
I recently visited the BMW dealer for the first check of 1.000KM and i tried to describe the problem.
They claimed that there is nothing wrong and the shifter changes normal.
Please tell me if you are facing the same and if it's normal or not.

Thank very much for your time.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
This does not sound normal.
Mine shifts very smooth in all shifts, at any RPM (except when standing still, then finding neutral is a bit more difficult but that's normal for almost any bike).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having a problem with the shifter.

This does not sound normal.
Mine shifts very smooth in all shifts, at any RPM (except when standing still, then finding neutral is a bit more difficult but that's normal for almost any bike).
Thank you for your answer! Anyone else? I need at least 2 more opinions to visit again the BMW dealer.
The situation is not very tragic but my fear is if this problem becomes bigger in the future (and especially when the guarantee is off).

·
Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
Thank you for your answer! Anyone else? I need at least 2 more opinions to visit again the BMW dealer.
The situation is not very tragic but my fear is if this problem becomes bigger in the future (and especially when the guarantee is off).

Doesn't sound normal either way, either it's a problem with a part of the clutch or with the gearbox, either way, BMW should be able to sort this out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, last Friday I visited the BMW dealer again to describe for one more time my problem. After 4 hours of waiting the result came. Two different mechanics drived my bike and they didn't find any problem with the gearbox. They told me that it's normal when I change the gears between 2.000-3.000 rpm the shifter to be harder. I must change gears at 5 to 5.500 rpm. This model never had a problem with the gearbox. At last they ensured me that since the guarantee is active for 1 and a half year more, there is nothing to be worried about. We will discuss it again at 5.000km. service.
Maybe it's only in my mind, I will try to forget it and enjoy my rides and I will see what will happen in the future.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I considered myself a seasoned rider. :)
When I'm accelerating from 2nd to the sixth gear, I rarely use the clutch these days. I will use the clutch to finesse the clutch depending on the riding situation. I'm trying to save my clutch fingers from overuse. I ride off-road a lot so I'm well versed in the use of the clutch.

When down-shifting, clutch use and rev matching is a must to smooth out the deceleration.
When I'm having trouble downshifting, I just stomp on the shift lever to force it down.

Yeah...try not to shift during a turn unless you are very experienced using the clutch to smooth out the acceleration or slowing down.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.