BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone experienced a slight oil leak from the front of the engine? I have!

First the garage thought it was a simple gasket, which they replaced, a 60 miles ride home and more oil on the engine. Took it back and after a week they have said that there is a missing seal on an internal part, can’t remember what, that has been there since manufacture. Something no to do with the crankcase breather. Have to wait for the part to arrive from Germany before they can attempt another fix.

Keep an eye out in just case it’s not an isoloted issue. Apart from that, its been a good bike, both to ride and gets lots of attention being a new model, shame that this issue has put me off it slightly and the BMW brand as a whole.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I to was losing some fluid and I thought it was oil.
After inspection at my dealer it turned out to be cooling fluid.
The remedy ...... a new water pump and two new gaskets ..... that had to come from ..... India.
Question was if they already had produced spare parts (NO) and hopefully this month (October) parts will arrive (first sign of leakage was in July)
It is not a big problem loosing the cooling fluid. It just a matter of frequently checking and filling the coolant reservoir and the dealer gave me 1/2liter.
Hopefully your problem will get fixed quickly.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Definitely oil and not coolant. Won’t be able to take photos as it’s with the garage, and hope it doesn’t happen again when I get it back, but if it does, then I’ll take some pictures and post. Hopefully it’s just a one off case, according to the garage they have been in touch with BMW and there are no other reported issues (so they say!)
When they deliver the bike back, I will post what they said about it and what was fixed.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Don’t stress out.
As long as not everybody has these problems it’s nothing to worry about.
The BMW warranty is okay (I’m riding beamers since 1980 and if there was a problem, BMW took care of it)
In my case, the coolant leakage will be repaired but because it’s a brand new bike, they do not have the spare parts on hand yet.
The helped me out till the parts come and so far I still can ride without worrying.

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
I had a coolant leak initially, although it wasn't quite a 'leak'. The coolant came out of the coolant release tube, had something to do with some pressure valve or what not. Only had the problem twice and hasn't reoccured in the last 800km.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure where the oil is coming from, but can be seen on the front lower crankcase on the left hand side of the engine. When laying down looking up it seems to be coming from beneath the “breather” pipe, if that’s what it is. I should hear back from the dealer in the next few days so I will post an update then.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Uh-Oh...

I too have developed an oil leak. I've been riding my 310r pretty much every day since I picked it up a few weeks ago. I have ~150 miles on it (feels really good after ~100 miles) - but this morning I noticed a small oil patch. Pretty sure its not coolant or other fluid and its really only a couple drops , but alarming on a brand new machine!

Plenty of oil left according to the sight-glass, so visiting the dealer tomorrow to see whats up, hoping i won't have much down time - just starting to really enjoy the bike!

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
sounds like coolant, check the coolant release tube. apparently this is to be expected with the mechanical pressure release valve initially. I had a coolant leak for a couple of hundred km, but it has stopped leaking after a while (not because I have run out of coolant ;) )

·
Registered
939 Posts
I thought mine was also leaking oil but my mechanic told me it was coolant fluid.
Last week they repaired it (had to wait for 3 months for a gasket !!!) but beside that, they had to replace other things (warranty) and the bike is still in the shop.
Will make a Phone call today to find out if they have recieved all the parts they need.
I really want to put some km's on the clock before winter (!) is coming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Well, Bas310 and porth - you guys were right. Coolant leak from the radiator pump. Incase this info is useful for anyone experiencing similar issues:

My Bay Area dealer ordered new parts from Germany (plenty of gaskets in stock, but they decided to replace the whole pump unit to be safe) - should be about 2 weeks and all covered by warranty of course. In the mean time they said I can keep riding since the leak is very minor, but to keep an eye on the fan. Apparently, as long as it comes on and turns off with engine temp (and the warning light stays off) I'm good. Probably not a good time for a cross-country adventure though :)

My dealer has sold 7 310's since they arrived in the US - no others have this issue so far. Happy I can still ride at least!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Bike is ready and I will pick it up on saturday.
They have replaced the complete pump too.
Pump was in stock but the gaskets were another issue.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Since this thread was brought up I didn't pay much attention since I thoroughly checked my bike for any oil patches and what not; but just yersterday I saw a few drops worth of patch near the lower left crank case as somebody here suggested. I immediately took it this morning to my dealer, he said nothing to worry about in the long run but he did order a handful of gaskets which will arrive in.... Mid 2018?? Those things must really be high on demand. He did tell me if my warning lamp came on I should visit him asap to replace the pump, but most probably I won't need to replace anything in the next 3 years.

Note: I may be wrong on some things since I'm technically trying to translate from greek to english.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oil leak update

The bike has been with the dealer for a number of weeks, they tried to fix the issue but it was still leaking oil from somewhere in or near the air box. I spoke with my dealer at length, their opinion was that the bike would need a new engine as their theory was excessive crankcase pressure or something like that, therefore we decided to take it further and reject the bike with BMW - i have owned it for 6 weeks and rode just over 1300 mileus - not a great start really.

BMW customer services listened to my issues and the forms were completed with the dealer and the rejection was accepted by BMW technical a week later.

Anyway, I Collected the new replacement bike today, and hope that’s the last I see of my dealer until service time!

When I collected the new bike I asked about my old one and what it turned out to be was a poorly machined oil way in the engine block that someone allowed oil into the air box and therefore causing it to leak. BMW apparently are replacing the engine as they have them in stock in Germany

Overall Good service received from both BMW and the dealer.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It seems that gaskets are a problem for this model.
A few month ago, with my prior G310R, y had a very bad issue with oil leaking into the cilinder, causing blue smoke and loss of power.

The day I noticed it, thanks to another rider that was with me who noticed the blue smoke, I was about 120km far from home (we were on a road trip), and I had almost no oil!!... The bike burnt almost all of it!! So we try to find any Service Station on the road and bought the most similar oil (A syntethic 10-50w oil), because it was sunday and no Motorshop were open. After that we drove back home, with another bottle of oil on my backpack, just in case, as slow as we can on the highway, stopping every few km to check the oil level. I got home with half of the oil left (half oil burnt in 120km!!).
On monday I took my bike to te dealer, expecting the worse. On tuesday the told me that was a broken gasket and the oil was filtering on the cylinder. Obiously the told me that I had nothing to worry about, cause they will take all the responsabilities and that the warranty was running. They ordered new gaskets to the Germany Dealer, but after 3 weeks the gaskets didn't arrived, and they told me that there were factory problems and they can't gave a waiting time, so they decided that they will "buy" my bike and give me a new one in exchange, free of charge.
So, I'm now riding a new bike, reportedly a 2018 model, and, after almost 2000 km (1243 mi), there haven't been any problems at all. Anyway, I'm constantly checking the oil and coolant levels, because of the trauma.

Despite all, I think this bike it's awesome.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had a small (very small) oil leak. It was coming apparently from the oil plug on the right side of the engine if you were sitting on the bike. I took it to my shop and they claimed the plug wasn't torqued to spec.

Oil levels were always fine and didn't appear to be burning any oil. Still worrisome.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts