BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, picked up my G310R this week and loving it though having problems with starting it.

It's a cold-ish start I guess with temp where I am at the moment +2 / +3

It starts eventually but it's not right.

Has anyone else had this or got any thoughts?

Putting on on charge for 24 hours did not help.

Once into a ride I don't have a problem with it starting first time.

Thank you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Read the owners manual, its full of great info regarding the bike. It explains how to start in cold temps. Pull clutch in and twist throttle slightly then start.

·
Registered
277 Posts
look under "issues & problems " cold start
http://www.g310rforum.com/forum/337-2017-bmw-g310-r-gs-issues-problems/2577-cold-start-issue.html

mines a real sod to start in the cold. under say 10'C
I bought a Lithium battery which did make an improvement.
Also I have to leave it on charge overnight to ensure 100% charge for the morning start.

Make sure you give it, say 1/4 throttle before pushing the start button.
May help if you also pull in the clutch.

Obviously something is wrong stating at low temperatures.
Tell the Dealer..
Mine's gone back in for a couple of niggles (this is one)
I'll report back when the little darling is returned to me.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had trouble starting mine once soon after I got it and someone said use only premium gas so started doing that and have not had a problem since and now have over 3000 miles on it. I have started it when the temp was around 40 degrees F.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the useful feed back. Will take it all on board and see how tomorrow goes.
The bike I part exchanged for my 310 started like a dream whatever the temperature so I'm not used to this. Look forward to reading any updates and I'll let you know how I get on with some of the above tips.
Thanks.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I had trouble starting mine once soon after I got it and someone said use only premium gas so started doing that and have not had a problem since and now have over 3000 miles on it. I have started it when the temp was around 40 degrees F.
Fresh premium gas.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same problem that presented itself after I filled the tank with its first fill. I was wondering if it was due to me allowing to let the tank go almost bone dry past reserve warning . My thinking at the time was to use all the "stale" gas up. After about a week of the engine taking a long time to get it started, I found out by putting the bike in 1st gear and holding in the clutch while pressing the starter button, this I don't know why but cleared the problem.
Try this and see if it solves the problem. Also, I was curious if you allowed your tank to run almost bone dry like I did.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same issues with starting and even a couple times the bike would turn off after starting it and the issue was the fuel pump. About 6 days into having the bike I had to get the fuel pumped replaced and the problem was solved and now it runs and starts like a champ! I hope this isn't the same case for you but that was my experience.

·
Registered
277 Posts
OK ... my bike been at the dealer all day.
they've just phoned to say "yes they agree there is a Cold Start issue"
AND that they've done a Software update to the EFI ...
They plan to check the cold start tomorrow morning (forecast 3'-4'C)

So BMW G310R Forum - View Profile: GirlPower you might want to use this as a discussion with your dealer.
will keep up to date with any more dealer comments..

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you, that is so helpful.
I had the same trouble this morning, identical to your description. (read the 'cold start' thread just now, apologies all for duplicating and also posting in incorrect section...)
Have it on headcam so can show the technicians.

The dealer has told me to phone BMW assist, tell them I can't start it, and get them out to look at it and they'll take it in if they deem it necessary.

G0MYW Can I ask where you are based, which dealer you are at?

·
Registered
308 Posts
My bikes back, 11th, all ok for 18 months, 2 K miles, but just would not start, as if no plug in, phoned BM pick up, who were great, it seems ok now, fingers Xed, having had new profile cam shaft and new piston+sleeve, they found the bore `oval` how all this is needed after 2 weeks in my garage under an old duvet is beyond me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi i recently bought a G310R Model 2019 but it also has the same problem at cold start, someone told that I'll think that it must have Software update to the EFI before my dealer sold it to me, so i don't think that was the problem. I have read that fuel quality could help to solve the problem and I will try it, but i had a friend with a Honda who changed the front light by a LED and presents the same problem, his dealer told him that the battery loses charge in cold so the light drains the part of the battery making that cant start easily. then i will try disconnecting front light (following the manual instructions) and trying to start at cold if its help the problem must be the battery. goodbye and ill tell you what happend when i try the battery test.

> 15° throttle opening and hold until engine its at 20°C and free throttle slowly, it works for me, but i'm too lazy so i prefer to find the real problem.
i don't have any other problem with my bike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts