BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2018 G310R and have put 3500 miles on it. It has the Akrapovic Carbon fiber exhaust and I was wondering what you guys’ temperatures are. The bike runs amazing but last week I went to California City where it was like 110° and after a long run at an average of 90mph for 30 mins I pulled off to a side road where after sitting there for a few mins with the bike on idle I received a red triangle with the temperature coming up crawling from 230 all the way to 255 while I was getting back on the road to move it for air flow. Is this normal or what temperatures should I expect as normal? (Specially under heavy use and freeway speed). Should the fan kick on while on freeway? (Hasn’t had to since that day but it’s been 215° through the strips of 90mph+ I’ve done) thank you guys

·
Registered
142 Posts
Hey Raul

Not something that I would be surprised by at all - the engine is generating a lot of heat running at that kind of speed and length of time, but with plenty of airflow through the radiator everything is fine, even though you are reporting high ambient of ~110 °F (about 43 °C). As soon as you pull over, you've still got a lot of residual heat to get rid of - but you've stopped moving so there is no airflow through the radiator, and there's much less water flow around the engine because the engine is only at idle and so pumping volume is way down on what it would have been before. There's only one outcome of all this - coolant temperature is going to increase.

Your fan is only going to click on if the coolant temperature goes over the point at which BMW have set it to come on. At 90 mph, I think that the airflow through the radiator would be changed "diddle squat" by the fan coming on....

(diddle squat = zilch)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the prompt reply. Now I know these bikes are supposed to be able to be used under normal conditions and operate without much flaw, would running it 80-90 every day constitute this or am I essentially operating outside the bounds of the intended operations (basically do you think BMW had someone like me in mind when they made the bike? Because that’s all I use it for xD. {forgot to add, this was with a passenger at the high elevation of 2500ft}

Also, the main reason for my concern is that I’m afraid of running it at such conditions because if the fan is on and doing zilch, how hot is too hot, and is ambient air going to keep it fine or am I going to kill it with heat exhaustion.

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
Thank you for the prompt reply. Now I know these bikes are supposed to be able to be used under normal conditions and operate without much flaw, would running it 80-90 every day constitute this or am I essentially operating outside the bounds of the intended operations (basically do you think BMW had someone like me in mind when they made the bike? Because that’s all I use it for xD. {forgot to add, this was with a passenger at the high elevation of 2500ft}

Also, the main reason for my concern is that I’m afraid of running it at such conditions because if the fan is on and doing zilch, how hot is too hot, and is ambient air going to keep it fine or am I going to kill it with heat exhaustion.

As long as you're moving it should be fine, it only seems a problem when the bike has been idling at standstill for a while. The fan is doing 'zilch' when the bike is moving, but does make a bit of a difference when the bike is standing still.

·
Registered
142 Posts

To my thinking, that's pretty hard riding you're doing. Looking at gear ratios etc, 90 mph is approx 9300 rpm - with a passenger that would have to be just about flat knacker, wouldn't it? If that was my every day use, I'd be on a bigger bike.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was taught over the years, cruising speed for an internal combustion engine is somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of redline. That translates to 65-75 mph. Payload according to BMW is 387 pounds. Without knowing the size of you or your pillion, I can only guess, two up riding may push this envelope. With very good oil and regular changes per BMW requirements, you may get the 36,000 miles without a rebuild, but the engine will be well worn.

I don't like the short bursts of 75+ riding I have done with this machine. I realized it was a small bike and as such should be run slower with less weight on board when I bought it and knew it met my riding requirements. There is a reason this machine costs less than half of its bigger brothers. A liter plus RT or RS would meet your needs well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought this for
1)BMW(ish)
2)Look/Size
3)Price

I know I’m about to get much flak about this but I the bike I sold because this looked like a better version was a Honda Grom. I do own a S100RR 2010 but frankly I’m a small guy, I weigh 150 and my passenger weighs maybe 120?, and riding that is for pure adrenaline. The passenger seat and baggage options of the G310R along with package size are just unbeatable. I love BMW and their look,they just scream sexy to me. The 1000 is heavy and I would never dare take it where I’ve taken this, I love the roadster versatility but I’m trying to decifer if something is wrong with mine. I have 2 different ride styles. In town at 65-70 and weekends 80+. I never looked at my temperatures until after the red triangle of that fated day so I don’t know what normal is and if I’m past it. In town I get constant 180° F and it goes up to 200° with hard pulls and such but never below 180°. It’s 85° outside and I’ve heard of people saying theirs is always at low temperature but never what it sits at between light to light of lighter traffic. Thanks for all the help, I love this darn thing

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Ok, so in case anyone is wondering:

I live in California and the temperature where im at during the summer is 100°+ up to like 115° and while riding my bike hard I noticed a red triangle after pulling off to a side road. I thought I was maybe running low on coolant or it was a problem with my bike. After riding it this weekend again like a bat out of helI I realized that

1) I’m apparently oblivious to the fact that I should let the heat disperse before turning off/down the water pump and
2) The motorcycle CAN do sustained close to/up to 100mph runs for long time with no issue overheating (yes heavy wear may occur over time but no problems yet at 4,000 miles)

If anyone is wondering, the bike runs at a constant 180°F under light load and can maintain it consistently, as far as going uphill, 90mph+, with passenger (so around 300lb payload MAX {I can only guess her weight but I’m 160 and no way in helI shes even close to my weight} at basically the hardest terrain/payload you could run it under normal operation) it runs at 211-216°F. Whether this is normal or detrimental to the bike I am no bike fortune teller but based on my daily spirited driving I have not run into any issues. Thank you for the responses, I wanted to conclude with this note in case someone does what I did (again), turn off the bike after pulling off the freeway from a very spirited session.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I don't like the short bursts of 75+ riding I have done with this machine. I realized it was a small bike and as such should be run slower with less weight on board when I bought it and knew it met my riding requirements. There is a reason this machine costs less than half of its bigger brothers. A liter plus RT or RS would meet your needs well.

My RT has it's limitations too. The cruise control will not set at over 110mph.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ok, so in case anyone is wondering:

I live in California and the temperature where im at during the summer is 100°+ up to like 115° and while riding my bike hard I noticed a red triangle after pulling off to a side road. I thought I was maybe running low on coolant or it was a problem with my bike. After riding it this weekend again like a bat out of helI I realized that

1) I’m apparently oblivious to the fact that I should let the heat disperse before turning off/down the water pump and
2) The motorcycle CAN do sustained close to/up to 100mph runs for long time with no issue overheating (yes heavy wear may occur over time but no problems yet at 4,000 miles)

question regarding your second point. what do you mean by sustained how long did you maintained that speed?. I took the bike for a 8000 kms trip but took it at 160kph (100 mph) only a coiuple of times the rest I did at 100kmh (70mph).
I confident on the engines ability to handle that 70mph but wasn't sure to take it at 160 for long periods. I understand motor will wear off faster but if you have 4k miles on it and nothing happened and you are a spirited rider (hehe) would like to know for how long you can push this little thing to the limit hehe

thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
My temps regularly reach 215F on my short trots around town in San Diego. I never really feel the heat off the engine when riding so that's good at least.

·
Registered
15 Posts
G310R temperatures during traffic jam ( Malaysia weather )

Dear Sir/Madam;

I live in Malaysia
my G310R ( purchase in July 2018 ) temperatures :
short ride : +- 82 - 88 degree ( 180F to 200F )
highway : +- 82 - 85 degree ( 180F to 200F )
traffic jam around 108 degree ( 228F ) [ during hot sun ]

not sure it is normal or not .

reserved water level above Max

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
Dear Sir/Madam;

I live in Malaysia
my G310R ( purchase in July 2018 ) temperatures :
short ride : +- 82 - 88 degree ( 180F to 200F )
highway : +- 82 - 85 degree ( 180F to 200F )
traffic jam around 108 degree ( 228F ) [ during hot sun ]

not sure it is normal or not .

reserved water level above Max
Sounds normal to me, I got up to 105-108C in a traffic jam on a hot 35C+ day, that's when the fan typically kick in.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i think the fan is supposed to kick in at 104C. if the temperature exceeds 104, this is not normal. First, you should check if there is enough coolant. I changed recently coolant to Engine Ice, and after a short drive, I had a warning on the dashboard that the engine overheats. I turned out that I did not put enough coolant...

·
Registered
183 Posts
I bought this for
1)BMW(ish)
2)Look/Size
3)Price

I know I’m about to get much flak about this but I the bike I sold because this looked like a better version was a Honda Grom. I do own a S100RR 2010 but frankly I’m a small guy, I weigh 150 and my passenger weighs maybe 120?, and riding that is for pure adrenaline. The passenger seat and baggage options of the G310R along with package size are just unbeatable. I love BMW and their look,they just scream sexy to me. The 1000 is heavy and I would never dare take it where I’ve taken this, I love the roadster versatility but I’m trying to decifer if something is wrong with mine. I have 2 different ride styles. In town at 65-70 and weekends 80+. I never looked at my temperatures until after the red triangle of that fated day so I don’t know what normal is and if I’m past it. In town I get constant 180° F and it goes up to 200° with hard pulls and such but never below 180°. It’s 85° outside and I’ve heard of people saying theirs is always at low temperature but never what it sits at between light to light of lighter traffic. Thanks for all the help, I love this darn thing
I'm 100% sure you would love riding the MT-07 with your riding profile.
I have both the MT-07 and G310R, and they are so similar in the way it makes you smile while riding it. My next bike will be the KTM 790 Duke.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts