BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have noticed lately more and more of these spots are appearing for no reason at all. I havent spilled any gas on it or anything that may be considered harsh chemical. If I drip water on them they disappear momentarily until it dries up. The fairings are unaffected, its just the matte plastic.

At first it was just one small spot a few weeks back, now theyre getting more ans more and its irritating. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
It will prove difficult to send it under warranty since I will have to send it by ferry from the island to the capital.
Eek! It would probably be cheaper just to buy a new piece - or get the present one painted.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It will prove difficult to send it under warranty since I will have to send it by ferry from the island to the capital.
Eek! It would probably be cheaper just to buy a new piece - or get the present one painted.
I'll be looking at a paint job probably since there are a few very good ones around, what price should I expect approx? 100-150€? I think it's the copying of the color that makes it expensive.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
Have you tried something like Armor All Original Protectant, that's what I use on all my plastics, keeps them protected nicely.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you tried something like Armor All Original Protectant, that's what I use on all my plastics, keeps them protected nicely.
The fairings are in top-notch condition since I always care for them once every three days, but I just ordered the wax you told me since I don't have anything to apply to the motorcycle once I clean it. Thanks for the recommendation.

·
Super Moderator
974 Posts
The fairings are in top-notch condition since I always care for them once every three days, but I just ordered the wax you told me since I don't have anything to apply to the motorcycle once I clean it. Thanks for the recommendation.

To be clear, I just use it for all of the matt plastics and rubber bits, not the shinny plastics:wink2:, the stuff I have is in a spray pack, milky type of liquid not a wax.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
To be clear, I just use it for all of the matt plastics and rubber bits, not the shinny plastics:wink2:, the stuff I have is in a spray pack, milky type of liquid not a wax.
Yeah it says "lactic liquid" or something similar in Greek so that should be it. Do you think it will work on the swingarm as well? For some reason it's terribly hard to clean it right and give it its shine, so I will try your recipe 0:)

Asked my boss who also owns a 1200GS, he told me anything that is long lasting should be able to keep thoses marks away, time will tell let's see when it arrives.

·
Registered
142 Posts
<snip> Do you think it will work on the swingarm as well? For some reason it's terribly hard to clean it right and give it its shine, so I will try your recipe 0:)
I personally wouldn't use Amor All on the swingarm - if its really covered in grime from the chain lube, WD40 is a fantastic cleaner for this. Also really good on the rear wheel. I bought a 4 litre container (ie not an aerosol can) and wet a cleaning cloth with it and use that to wipe around the wheel etc to clean off the greasy film that builds up on it from the fling off the chain.

Just make sure you don't get any on the tyre or the disc!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I personally wouldn't use Amor All on the swingarm - if its really covered in grime from the chain lube, WD40 is a fantastic cleaner for this. Also really good on the rear wheel. I bought a 4 litre container (ie not an aerosol can) and wet a cleaning cloth with it and use that to wipe around the wheel etc to clean off the greasy film that builds up on it from the fling off the chain.

Just make sure you don't get any on the tyre or the disc!
I'll quote you on that! Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm just going to get one and have it painted matte black with a ton of flat clear-coat. Mine is already hazing and white with spots all over it. I use a "blackener" but it just washes off in the rain.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I tried the Armor All and it didn't quite remove them. It made them a bit translucent so I let it at that as it wasn't an eye sore. Today I left work and I noticed that the spots had massively spread out over the timespan of 8 hours (my shift, 7am - 3pm). I was furious and I called the dealer at once. He asked me to send some pics so he can see exactly what I was talking about.

About 20 minutes after, I hanged the phone as I had found the cause to all of this and also the solution. The cause was that because I was parking at the street, someone from the 4th floor of the building apparently was cleaning his balcony terrace and was using harsh cleaning agents like bleach. These are not harmful to the fairings but they destroy plastics of all kinds. He told me to apply a strong silicone spray on it and it will remove 90% of the marks. I wasn't very optimistic, but lo' and behold it worked. There are some tiny marks left, but they are hardly noticeable, and under the sun you can't see them at all.

PS. Sonax silicone spray if anyone is wondering.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
So I tried the Armor All and it didn't quite remove them. It made them a bit translucent so I let it at that as it wasn't an eye sore. Today I left work and I noticed that the spots had massively spread out over the timespan of 8 hours (my shift, 7am - 3pm). I was furious and I called the dealer at once. He asked me to send some pics so he can see exactly what I was talking about.

About 20 minutes after, I hanged the phone as I had found the cause to all of this and also the solution. The cause was that because I was parking at the street, someone from the 4th floor of the building apparently was cleaning his balcony terrace and was using harsh cleaning agents like bleach. These are not harmful to the fairings but they destroy plastics of all kinds. He told me to apply a strong silicone spray on it and it will remove 90% of the marks. I wasn't very optimistic, but lo' and behold it worked. There are some tiny marks left, but they are hardly noticeable, and under the sun you can't see them at all.

PS. Sonax silicone spray if anyone is wondering.
Nice save. Big difference

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Unfortunately this is Greece, so even if I have concrete evidence (which I don't) I would still have a hard time getting the person to the court and it would cost me an akrapovic or a liver for it. Also bad relationships with the neighbors tend to lead to bigger problems. I will just park it at the opposite street and walk 20 sec longer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts