BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
after a bit of research i found this company that sells sprockets suitable for the 310 r (since both bikes use the same sprocket i suppose it fits on the gs).
https://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=1126034
Supersprox are a great product, I've used them on pretty much all my [rally] bikes in the past.

for info. the PCD of the G310R sprocket would appear to be the same as the F650GS (6-bolt, 160mm), so other brands that offer a range of rear sprockets for that bike should also fit the 310.

I've just ordered a 43T JT sprocket from here in the UK (with that number of teeth it's actually listed for an Aprilia Pegaso 600 92-93 model, not the F650GS which has 47T as standard) and will let you know how I get on next week when I'm reunited with my bike...

Jenny x

·
Registered
32 Posts
Remus had a Nice illegal exhaust without cat
Not street legal
but who cares
Remus Hypercone Black Stainless $750US

Looks and sounds GREAT. I really like the Akro noise, but for just a little more I LOVE what the Remus is. Saving up as I type!!!

In US, there are so many louder and illegal things out there. As long as you aren't doing anything stupid you won't get stopped or bothered by the cops.

On a GS, but now available in US for the R:

·
Registered
242 Posts
If anyone is interested, currently I’ve been trailing a 43T rear sprocket (so similar to taking 1T off the front) in Colorado this week, and while you certainly can feel the difference at the top end (typically you’ve raised the revs around 500rpm at 60-70mph in 6th gear, so rather than seeing 70mph at 7000rpm, you’re only getting around 65mph at 7000rpm now, and you need 7500rpm for 70mph...), at slower and off-road speeds, the lack of bottom end torque is still aparent, although not quite as bad as it was running the stock 16/40 gearing...

In that regard, I get the feeling that the 16T front sprocket is actually exacerbating the low bottom-end torque issue, in that the engine struggles to spin up the larger front sprocket and get the transmission moving quickly, before it cough stalls and/or you need to slip the clutch.

I can also confirm you do need to add a couple more links to the chain if you’re running the 43T rear, whereas you’ll get away with keeping the OEM chain if you drop a tooth on the front of course.

So personally speaking I think this bike would do best with 15/41 - in fact ideally you’d actually want 15/43 for serious off-road stuff, but then you really would be very limited at highway speeds.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

ps. The good news is that the speedo is still accurate - so it must take it’s reading off the wheel speed (ABS sensor), rather than the gearbox.

·
Registered
163 Posts
So personally speaking I think this bike would do best with 15/41 - in fact ideally you’d actually want 15/43 for serious off-road stuff, but then you really would be very limited at highway speeds.
so maybe 15/42 is a good solution also, by the way what make/material of sprocket did you use?

·
Registered
469 Posts
Remus Hypercone Black Stainless $750US

Looks and sounds GREAT. I really like the Akro noise, but for just a little more I LOVE what the Remus is. Saving up as I type!!!

In US, there are so many louder and illegal things out there. As long as you aren't doing anything stupid you won't get stopped or bothered by the cops.

On a GS, but now available in US for the R:
I can confirm the R version fits the GS.
I was the tester for Remus to see if it would fit.
No problem.
Now sounds like a bike instead of an old sewing machine.:grin2:

·
Registered
56 Posts
did some research so far theoretical increase with exhaust is 2.7 with a reduction in weight, minor but on a small bike def noticeable and through revzilla only runs $490.00 and they have price matching and ive found em for less so for that cost and if it helps.....after ive regeared it then worth it, the bike def needs the regeared, on US hiways it would always be running near redline just to keep up,
Perhaps you bought your wife the wrong bike, what is she trying to keep up with...

·
Registered
242 Posts
I think i am going to try a 15 on the front. I'm looking for some take off speed not worried about top end.
Hi Music' - dropping to 15T from 16T on the front basically reduces your top speed by around 5mph for a given RPM in top gear - ie. if you were cruising at 70 before, you'd now be doing around 65mph at the same revs...

That said, I've still seen 84mph on my bike with the 15T front, you're just revving it about 500rpm higher than before.

Hope that helps...

Jenny x

·
Registered
242 Posts
so maybe 15/42 is a good solution also, by the way what make/material of sprocket did you use?
Hi Greek' - sorry I missed this question - both my front and rear sprockets are steel - I think on a bike like this which tends to get used a lot on the highway and at higher speeds, alloy [teeth] sprockets are going to wear too quickly. If you can find a SuperSprox for the rear of this bike (that is with an alloy centre and steel teeth in a band around the edge) those are an excellent option.

Jx

·
Registered
61 Posts
I want to take out 500 rpm instead of adding extra revs.
I have done the same at my CBR250R and for highway use that works great.
The first four gears are feeling too short here.
But no hurry as I am currently unemployed. 0:)

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Me too, at 35 mph I am usually already in 6th gear. I would like a larger front, smaller rear, or both sprockets. The bike accellerates more than fast enough for me.

Reactions: angiedave

·
Registered
16 Posts
Bit of a stupid question but are sprocket sizes standardised (apart from the number of teeth)? Or would you have to go for a sprocket set that specifically fits the G310 and/or go through the dealer

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nope... Sprocket sets are not standard by any means.
You'll need to track down a supplier who makes them for the 310.
I've seen a few - just google for a convenient one for you.

·
Super Moderator
994 Posts
I think i am going to try a 15 on the front. I'm looking for some take off speed not worried about top end.
Let us know how you go, maybe take some photos and dot points or a video. I'm sure others are also interested in this. It's on my possible to do list.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Bmw list a 17 tooth (for China) front sprocket , I ordered one today should have it by the weekend ? maybe.
Just want to see if it makes it a little bit less frantic.

PT No 3382396375

·
Registered
156 Posts
Yes, gearing is not ideal. An overdrivish top would be useful and the GS really needs a lower bottom gear for use off road. With six to play with I'm sure BMW could have done a better job.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts