BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
17 Tooth fitted

Just fitted the 17 tooth front.
16 I took off not happy about the wear only 1600 miles only on one side , misalignment or that play in the rear sprocket carrier ?
Not ridden it yet very windy here at the moment.

Also not happy with the rear spindle holder block on the rear right seems the spindle end rotates when tightening the spindle up (100 nm) and digging into the alloy.

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Britmech, you say you have obtained a 17T front sprocket. Can I ask where you obtained it from? I went to my local BMW Motorad dealer over the weekend to order one and was (politely) told that that you cannot order one in this country as it is "for overseas use only". Any help/ information would be appreciated
Cheers Ian

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just ordered the part from my local BMW dealer (Wollaston, Northampton 01604 232000)

PT No 3382396375

Speak to Jack in parts he ordered it no problem .(about a week it took give or take) he is very helpful.

Say you were recommended by the guy who bought one from them ( he might remember me )

Let me know how you get on.

Ian650 (did you have a 650 ?)

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Britmech, I will give Rybrook a rocket now to sort it out.
I had a Honda CB650/4 many many moons ago.
I'm assuming the original length chain is long enough.
Thanks once again
Ian

·
Registered
44 Posts
Just ordered my 17T sprocket from Wollaston BMW....took about 10 minutes including taking my details. What a brilliant dealership. As for Rybrook in Wolverhampton...they still insist the part doesn't even exist!! It will be worth either the post and packing or even a nice ride out one afternoon.
(Time to make a complaint methinks.)
Thanks Britmech for your help 😀

·
Registered
102 Posts
No problem , sad your local dealer could not at least try.

Have never had an issue with the parts dept at wollaston , I normally find out the part numbers of what I want if is not common or from another market before chatting with Jack normally he then looks up the part I have found and he can see if it is correct in the UK or has to come in from elsewhere

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi
What is the effect of changing the front sprocket from 16 to 17.

Do you lose much acceleration?
Is the top end speed much different?

Chris
Adelaide
Australia

·
Registered
44 Posts
17T sprocket arrived today....what fabulous service from Jack and all at Wollaston BMW. Cannot fault their service. Will fit it later and report back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
17T Trial run

Just fitted 17T FS today, went for about a 12 mile run. Acceleration doesnt seem unduly affected by it (if at all).
Speed at 6000 RPM in top gear is now 63 mph (Im sure you can convert it to kph!)
It may not seem a lot but the object of this excercise was to lower the rpm to stop it feeling so manic. As it is now the bikes runs at 60 mph below the 6000rpm where the vibes usually set in.
It was never about making it go faster (ie higher top speed). I found during the short trial run that it felt more comfortable to ride.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good you got the sprocket , I found the same results about-ish 5mph gain per 1000 rpm and acceleration still feels fine , also not in such a rush to go up through the gears.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Front sprocket bolt hex size?

Hi there.

I will be replacing the front sprocket on my 310 R for a 15T ditto, have you got the hex size of the retainer bolt?
Have to travel with needed tools and need to limit weight and bulk . :)

P.J.

·
Registered
102 Posts
15 tooth or 17 tooth ?

Anyway either....

You will need to remove sprocket cover .
Undo sprocket bolt.
Slacken chain / loosen rear spindle.

Loctite for sprocket bolt refitting.
Adjust chain. tighten , spindle. replace cover.

·
Registered
54 Posts
15 tooth or 17 tooth ?

Anyway either....

You will need to remove sprocket cover .
Undo sprocket bolt.
Slacken chain / loosen rear spindle.

Loctite for sprocket bolt refitting.
Adjust chain. tighten , spindle. replace cover.
No problem there, simply was inquiring the hex size of the bolt fastening the sprocket.

P.J.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Thanks BritMech for the info in the first place. I love my 310GS for everything except open road multi day touring which feels like I’m thrashing him. Fingers crossed the upgearing will fix this and make him my ‘forever’ bike.

41 - 60 of 78 Posts