BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
I worried about this before buying but am on standard gearing and it cruises happily at 70 mph using two thirds revs, so plenty in reserve. My usual consumption on a typical day out ("proper roads") is about that 88 (actually calculated on fuel used). I have had high nineties on a run round the Peak District.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Any US sellers for this 17 tooth sprocket? Seems odd we would have to get this from Germany (or Poland etc).

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
So I ordered it from my BMW dealer and he confirmed BMW in the US does not sell the 17 tooth sprocket. When I asked why not, as I can get it in Europe no problem, from BMW, he said it may have something to do with 'RPMs and emissions' which I guess could make some sense. So will proceed and order in Europe. Italy or Greece sound nice this time of year!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Surprised they can not order/will not a Genuine BMW part , should not make any difference what market it is for it shows up on their parts list.
UK dealer dealer did it for me no issue and another on this forum.

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Yes, in Europe it appears to be no problem. Also for the China market the 17 tooth sprocket is available. But not in the US.

·
Registered
34 Posts
So guys can we have a chart kind thing that can work as a guide for newbies like me? Something like:
16/40 : Stock
17/40 : slightly better top end
15/40 : slightly better low end

those who have tried the altered configurations (like above) can you please post the following info:
1) 0-100 sprint timing
2) Fuel efficiency changes
3) 100 km/hr at what RPMs

also till what extent can we go around altering the sprockets (as per need) without requiring any change in chain etc?

Also your comments on the following ratios:
1) 15/41 or 15/42
2) 17/39

Apologies for too many questions. I am still learning:)

PS: TVS RR310 runs 17/42 configuration (almost same final drive ratio). The maximum power and torque are same as the BMW twins but are delivered at 200 RPMs later.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 16T sprocket I'd like to install, does anyone know what the torque setting is?

·
Registered
12 Posts
So guys can we have a chart kind thing that can work as a guide for newbies like me? Something like:
16/40 : Stock
17/40 : slightly better top end
15/40 : slightly better low end

those who have tried the altered configurations (like above) can you please post the following info:
1) 0-100 sprint timing
2) Fuel efficiency changes
3) 100 km/hr at what RPMs

also till what extent can we go around altering the sprockets (as per need) without requiring any change in chain etc?

Also your comments on the following ratios:
1) 15/41 or 15/42
2) 17/39

Apologies for too many questions. I am still learning:)

PS: TVS RR310 runs 17/42 configuration (almost same final drive ratio). The maximum power and torque are same as the BMW twins but are delivered at 200 RPMs later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
^ the gearing commander site says that a 17/39t setup only gives about 8 mph more in top gear for a given rpm. I was looking to be at 7k @ 80mph, but that appears to be an 18/40 tooth solution. what are the odds that that's going to exist? lol

·
Registered
12 Posts
Very unlikely.

I just ordered 17 front from BMW dealer Auto-Leebmann in Germany yesterday and I didn't see any other options available (other than that and the stock 16). I also ordered rear 39 from Wemoto in UK as well and we'll see how that goes... I'll try to do some basic runs before and after and I will post the results here.

Anyways, if such custom/large front sprocket exists I wonder if it will fit at all... I suppose I can ask the mechanic once I get to him.

PS: Personally, I don't really care about gaining top end speed, I just want the bike not to be so strung at 70mph on a highway. If I can get the engine to drop +500 RPM I think I will keep the motorrad.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That's where I'm at. A easy to handle bike that does 0-60 in 6 seconds and can handle when traffic rolls at 80 mph. Right now i feel guilty for riding it at that high of rpm for 20 miles. Also the 1-2-3 shift is SOO short. I wouldn't mind those being a little more spread out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are more of a man than I am... I don't have the heart to push that lil thing over 75mph. ;-)

I really hope this upgrade, along with the Akra exhaust will "tie the room together", because otherwise I really like the baby GS.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the RR full exhaust from Yoshimura (what a piece of crap) It makes great power and I know it would be much happier with out all the revs. I live in a pretty rural area, that causes traffic after work to haul a$$. My 128i loves it and I think the R will after a few more modifications :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
finally received wifes new g310r, nice overall bike, but def needs a little help, I am looking to change either front or rear sprocket, it needs more travel/top end, does anyone have anyplace that is selling sprockets yet, I haven't been able to find anything yet, We plan to replace the exhaust to recoup some of the lost torque with the sprocket gearing change, anything would help........thanks
Try Sproketcenter.com Good products. Fast delivery and inexpensive. I change my front sprocket down to a 25 tooth. Mush better for non highway use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
61 - 78 of 78 Posts