BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of the general checks you should be doing on a regular basis (not necessarily all of them on a daily basis)

1. Check brake fluid levels front and back
2. Check oil level
3. Check coolant
4. Check tyre pressure front and back
5. Check chain sag and lubrication
6. Check preload
7. Check brake pads front and back

Some of these I quickly check before every ride e.g. fluid levels and cursory check of tyre pressure, I check the tyre pressure accurately with a gauge every 300-500km, and I check the chain sag every 1000km and re-lube the chain every 1000km. I check the preload before and after I take a passenger.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
For the brake pads: for the front ones, there is a notch about 3/4 of the way along the pad, when this is no longer or barely visible it's time to replace the pads; for the rear pads, there are triangular cutouts at the corners, when these are no longer or barely visible it's time to replace the pads.

For brake fluid and coolant you can check this when the bike is parked (tilted).

For oil level, the bike needs to be held level.

There are also other things that you should be checking such as mirror position and headlight position (this is automatic for me). If there is anything else you can think of please let us know.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Indicators, brake lights for front and rear, horn.
Haven't checked rear brake fluid level yet, will have to dig out my handbook, thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Very thorough, thanks. The front break pads, I understood, but it's not exactly clarified where those "triangular cutouts" for the rear are in your picture.

·
Super Moderator
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Very thorough, thanks. The front break pads, I understood, but it's not exactly clarified where those "triangular cutouts" for the rear are in your picture.
Triangular cutouts indicated by red arrow. Replace pads when cut outs are no longer visible (indicated by green line).

Attachments

·
Registered
178 Posts
Look at the remaining tire tread. Rotate the tire, because one part can have good tread while the other side can have cords showing. Check tires for damage. Check chain and sprocket wear. These would need checking only after a lot of miles, but if a routine of periodic checks are done, there are less surprises. I had a routine of checking every bike around the first of the month. I need to return to that practice.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I believe thres on GS are directional, they cannot be rotated. And as they are different size front to back, they cannot be swapped that way either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts