BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've ordered a Puig touring screen, Barkbusters, and the Kaoko throttle lock.
Other days I notice a sharp pain between my shoulder blades or can feel my right leg go slightly numb.
Re Screen and Bark Busters: I don't think this applies to your R, but with both my MRA screen and Bark Busters installed on my GS, my steering was blocked from going full-lock-to-full-lock; I solved that by getting Rally Raid's Adventure Screen.

Re shoulder blade pain: I suspect this is because you are reaching to get your hands on the controls. You goal should be that with you hands on the controls, your whole body is in a relaxed neutral position. If you are reaching to the point of pain, you should consider bar backs/risers.

Re leg numbness: Your right leg numbness typically means you are restricting blood flow and/or putting pressure on nerves. I have experienced this; I minimize it by having and using alternative leg positions and by seat mods. Re leg positions: For me, being able to stretch out my legs on highway pegs is nirvana. Because of the tight cockpit of the 310, when I put a foot on one of my pegs, they are too close for anything other than short breaks, so I mostly use my highway pegs by stretching my leg straight out and resting the back of my mid-calf-high boots on the highway peg. I also change things up by shifting my butt slightly to one side or the other when I use the highway pegs. Re seat mods: On my RR, I use an Air Hawk inflated such that my seat bones are just barely touching the seat under the Air Hawk. On my XR, I added 3/4" of memory foam between the OEM seat pan and the OEM seat cover. On my 310GS, I didn't have to do anything to the seat; that's a first for me and BMW OEM seats.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I do have a GS, actually. But since I don't do a lot of off-roading, I wonder whether the screen interfering with the hand guards would be an issue or not.

How is the Rally Raid Adventure Screen as far as wind protection goes?

·
Registered
271 Posts
I do have a GS, actually. But since I don't do a lot of off-roading, I wonder whether the screen interfering with the hand guards would be an issue or not.
How is the Rally Raid Adventure Screen as far as wind protection goes?
Sorry about the R vs GS confusion; I wasn't paying attention and thought you were the OP.

Re the screen interfering with handguards: Having full lock-to-lock turn capability isn't just an off-road thing, but I agree it matters more off-road. In any event, you don't want the Bark Busters hitting your windscreen (becoming your de-facto fork stops); it might damage the screen over time. One option for preventing that: I have used a peel-and-stick wheel weights installed where the fork hits the fork stops. I filed/ground them down so they fit the stop and provided just enough thickness to prevent the interference I wanted to prevent. You could do this to decrease the amount of lock-to-lock fork travel available so your Bark Busters don't hit your screen. Once you install the weights, some test rides with some full-lock U-turns will tell you if the decrease is acceptable or not for you.

Re the Rally Raid Adventure Screen, you can see it on my bike in the pictures I posted above (#12). It certainly protects my phone mounted behind it and makes for good aerodynamics for me (5'7"), but it doesn't really provide a lot of protection.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks for that—that's very helpful. I might have to rethink the screen then and maybe go with Rally Raid. I have a couple of things I want to order from them but they don't have much stock right now. I want to get a screen mainly to help with windchill during the colder months.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Thanks for that—that's very helpful. I might have to rethink the screen then and maybe go with Rally Raid. I have a couple of things I want to order from them but they don't have much stock right now. I want to get a screen mainly to help with windchill during the colder months.
Before you buy a screen just for cold weather, you might want to try layering first...

I wear a Motoport two-piece mostly mesh suit 24/7/365. My jacket is 100% mesh; my pants are 100% mesh on the front and 100% stretch on the back (so I can tuck on my RR). Stretch is very permeable, not as much as mesh, but almost. The only weather I don't ride in is ice and snow. I've ridden from 20F to 105F. I simply layer under and over the suit so I'm cool or warm as needed. When it's hot, I ride with just a t-shirt and shorts under the suit; there is so much airflow, it's almost like riding without the suit. At the other extreme, I wear Under Armor IR blocking long johns, Kuhl pants, Warm and Safe Heated Layer Shirt, and Aerostich TLTec Wind Block fleece sweater under the suit. In really extreme cold, I add my rain gear over everything, including the suit. With my MRA Vario-X-Creen equipped XR and my Zero Gravity Touring Screen equipped RR, likely because of those screens, I rarely need to wear the rain gear except when it's actually raining. In contrast, with my Rally Raid Adventure Screen equipped 310GS, I learned early on to don my rain jacket over the mesh before bothering to add any other layers; with just that, I was quite cozy until my mid-morning stop when I would take off the rain jacket as the morning warmed up.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I’d second Jerry in proper cold weather prep over counting on partial fairing to do much. If I were silly enough to ride in real cold again (one advantage to being retired, in California, I don’t have to) I’d go with heated gear and layers. Still brings back chilly memories and my body whispers “don’t do it” from my internment in West Virginia where I rode all winter with no proper gear. Hard to ride effective when shivering

·
Registered
78 Posts
I appreciate all the advice! This will be my first cold season on a motorcycle, so I don't really know what to expect. I have a BMW Rallye Suit, which so far has served me well. Living in the South, my main problem is heat and humidity, and with all the vents open, I get excellent airflow in the suit. The pants and jacket have a removable, waterproof liner that I assume should help a fair bit with the cold. I think I'll just have wait and see how things are and then upgrade gradually. I'm 5'10" and I think the small factory protector does a decent job keeping wind off my chest. What do you use to protect your neck in the winter?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Ha ha. When I rode in snow (1980s) I used neoprene waders and would wear trash bags, line my jacket with newspaper. Way different times. Jerry will have an appropriate idea.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts