BMW G310 R/GS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do not have a tail bag now and am able to get on the bike with a foot on the ground and swing the other leg over. However I am planning to buy a tail bag , so wanted to know if I can step on the peg with the side stand down and then get on. Will side stand hold my weight of 180 pounds?

Thanks

san

·
Registered
486 Posts
I do not have a tail bag now and am able to get on the bike with a foot on the ground and swing the other leg over. However I am planning to buy a tail bag , so wanted to know if I can step on the peg with the side stand down and then get on. Will side stand hold my weight of 180 pounds?

Thanks

san
It held my 110+ kg. Even before recall fixing of the stand.

·
Registered
5 Posts

Thanks

san
I am 100kg and have no problem.

·
Registered
802 Posts

Thanks

san
I think you should stretch more. it is easy to lift you leg above the seat. standing on the side stand? it is a bit lame.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I think you should stretch more. it is easy to lift you leg above the seat. standing on the side stand? it is a bit lame.
Bravo Kris! Good advice to somebody who's pelvic symphysis has been open 4 cm and and has a not fully healed fractured os. sacrum. There was some other fractured bones too. But by using the side stand, I could get on and of the bike.
My physiotherapist was impressed I managed to ride to her clinic with the injuries I had had.

·
Registered
802 Posts
sorry, i did not know that you have this issues. do you have the main stand? you may consider the lowering link. I got one from LustRacing; haven't installed it yet.

·
Registered
30 Posts

Thanks

san
I get on with the side stand down every time I get on and most of the time getting off the bike. I'm 205 and have had no problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Does BMW guarantee the side stand can take weight X pounds at regular normal use?
This helped me...if you can sit on bike with both feet on ground, you do not need to mount cowboy style standing on peg..just bend leg and slide knee over low spot in seat..the bent leg clears the top box. Cowboy style looks cool and works most of the time, but is risky, especially if stand is on soft ground

·
Registered
4 Posts
So stepping onto the peg with the side stand down is a general 'no no'? Is this just because of the 2018 side stand issue that necessitated a recall - or its discouraged even with the issue resolved? in general? on all bikes?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Generally, a side stand is strong enough to support mounting by first standing on the peg (cowboy style..like stepping into the stirrup) but there are variables..like the weight of the rider and the surface that supports the side stand. A really heavy rider puts a lot more stress on the stand, and a stand can sink into or slip on the supporting surface. And, holding the brake on to keep the bike stationary is important. So mounting on the stand it is not wrong, just can be higher risk, depending..

Probably OK 95% of the time. Perhaps 100% for careful. lighter riders, on bikes with strong stands. But can be a catastrophe if things go wrong. Risks seem similar to climbing ladders which I try to avoid at my age.

·
Registered
802 Posts
if one is not flexible enough or too short, or has other issues, they should lower the bike. there are lowering kits for g310gs. stepping on foot pegs to get on the bike is just silly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As long as the bike does not fall over, it really does not matter what technique one prefers.

Lots of discussion about getting on the bike, but getting off came be just as big a challenge.

There are a lot of dirt bike off road (and some adventure ones too) motorcycles that have more than 35" seat height and cannot be lowered. I've seen many mount and dismount using footpeg while moving.

As I recall, that is how I had to mount and dismount on my first bicycle as a kid..I could reach the pedals but could not reach the ground with both feet.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Telling people how they should or should not mount their bike is silly. Besides, the short Belgian rider Gaston Rahier was so silly he went to win the Paris-Dakar rally, not only once, but twice. He was so short he had to rely on the silly trick of mounting his bike using the left foot peg, as seen at 2'32" in this video and at 0'26" in this video. It's same method I sometimes use, when my old wounds makes it difficult to throw my leg over the saddle standing next to the bike, or when I have a big bag on the rear rack. I prefer to be silly rather than stupid.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not sure I can convey this in type, but I don't have an opportunity to video it right now.

I'm a short guy that's always kept tall tailbags on my bikes.

To mount, I stand with my body facing the left side of the bike, my left foot pointed at the bike. Lift the right leg out to the right, as I bend it at the knee.

And in the same motion I pivot on the left foot and rotate my body to face forward. That action puts my bent right leg across the bike, and I simply lower my right foot.

Kinda hard to type it as simple as it is to do. But there is no high kicking long leg swing to how I mount. It's a compact and quick movement that won't reach the tailbag. Looks effortless, despite my long effort to describe. 🤣

It's just lift/bend right leg and turn body. All in one movement.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts